Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hand grips

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 12:56 PM
alabama1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand grips

Hay everyone i'm wanting to replace my stock hand grips on the 03 low rider anyone change theirs their self? how do the old ones come off? I have not chosen a new style yet. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:07 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Hand grips

grips are fairly easy to switch out.the only hard part is the little throttle cable roll clips,just likes to fall off alot.it should only take about 30 minutes to switch out.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:09 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jackyl is right. Its not that hard but don't do it over a dirty floor. Those little buggers are hard to find.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:46 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok..easy..but no one is explaining how....I used to use hairspray on my old BMX bike grips, and they slid on and off real easily. Not sure how to go about doing motorcycle grips. Also, I think some are glueless now (if not most). Of course..I know nothing about them. So what's the trick with moto grips?

Todd

Old 04-07-2006, 02:48 PM
phreak
Road Master

Bunch of different tricks phor the left grip. Usually just giving it a good hard twist works. I have heard of some people using compressed air to inflate the grip a bit, and break the adhesive.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:26 PM
05fxdi
Advanced

replaced my grips over the winter, i had to cut left grip off. right grip was easy, i took off the screws on bracet that holds signal and brake handle then removed cabels from throtle. when you take it apart and look at it you will see its no big deal to install it....

Old 04-07-2006, 06:37 PM
superdog48
Tourer

I agree with everyone that it is not that hard. The throttle cable side is the one that take time. Just count the threads that are out of the jam nut and losen the jam nut and turn the adjuster all the way closed and remove the cables one at a time. Also on the front brake but a piece of cardboard about 5/32" between the lever and the bracket. Revese the order after cables in stalled.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did mine and was worried. It was really easy.

I cut the left grip legthwise with a razorblade. I was suprised how soft it was.

No glue needed if you are using HD grips. they lock in, and are keyed into the controls so they can not turn.

I sanded the glue off the left bar before putting the new ones on.

There is a thread in the DIY part. Its a bit confusing to read on its own, but when you are doing the work its easy.

Just remember to put something in the brake lever before taking the right controls apart.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:33 PM
UltraScoot
Road Captain

Just remember to put something in the brake lever before taking the right controls apart.

this is a must do or risk breaking the stop light switch

Changed out mind yesterday took 35 min and another 40 min... Trying to find that darn brass pc of c---p [:@]

Good luck and really should buy a manual

Old 04-07-2006, 09:50 PM
rickshog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other mentionable... We did my dads fxdi 35 and it took about 45 mins. However the throttle didnt feel right for some reason. Come to find out that when we were screwin around with the throttle cable brass pieces the other side of the throttle cable slipped off the throttle body. It still worked because one was connected but it felt spongy. Only took a min to correct the problem. And the new ISO grips are sweet. Good Luck
Rick

Quick Reply: Hand grips