Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Quick Release Touring Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 03:20 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD Quick Release Touring Windshield

Is anyone using Harley's touring windshield? If so, how well does it deflect air around you? Do you think a 5'6" rider on an FXDCI would experience any buffeting at highway speeds?

Old 04-17-2006, 08:46 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Default RE: HD Quick Release Touring Windshield

bump

Old 04-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Texas Harley Mike
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one that I put on my FXDWG when I'm taking trips or long day trips and I love it... The fatigue is far less after a long ride. There is one thing though that I don't really care for and that is the wind coming from beneath. The wind travels up the body and face while traveling at higher speeds. Not too much of a bother though, compared to the fatigue after a long day of riding without it, especially on windy days...

Old 04-23-2006, 02:15 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

Did you have to relocate the front turn signals?

Old 04-24-2006, 03:11 AM
oldfrtbkr
Cruiser

I've got the quick realease and about the only time I'll take it off is to clean the bike. I'd say it works fair, not better or not worse than any other windshield. Not nearly the wind protection that one gets behind a fairing. [:@]

Old 04-24-2006, 05:48 AM
Teppo
Advanced

How much is highway speed? 60 Miles, 95 Km/h? At this speed i have no buffeting. Last weekend i had a 1000 KM-Trip with speeds from 120 - 140 Km/h. At that speed there is buffeting and noise. If you drive slower it is fine.

Teppo

Old 04-24-2006, 02:45 PM
dyna2319
Tourer

You do not need to move the front turn signals lights to use the clamp on windshield. I have used it both way with no problems. You can adjust the height between the triple tress about 4-5 inches. The relocate of the turn signals was a pain but can be done. Just need to remove the tank and take the connects apart to pull the wires out of the top of your bars. Watch out also when you take the grips off for the ferrules for the throttle cables does not roll off.

Hog 2319
06 FXWGI with "some" mods and another sale this weekend at the stealer.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:16 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

I had the standard height quick release shield on my FXDCI. It did not require relocating the turn signals. However, the quick release touring windshield comes with the signal relocation kit - thus the question. I've called a couple of the dealers here in the area and neither of them could tell me definitively.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:48 AM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

ORIGINAL: TowJam

Is anyone using Harley's touring windshield? If so, how well does it deflect air around you? Do you think a 5'6" rider on an FXDCI would experience any buffeting at highway speeds?
I have it on my FXDLI and I am 5'8". I have it set for about two inches below my line of site. It does a good job of moving air around you. You don't get a lot of buffeting unless you get behind a semi. Then everybody get's it. I ride at 60 and 70 all the time and don't mind it.

Your gonna want to relocate the turn signals. The orange glare on the back of the windshield from the running lights at night is a killer.

I also modified my headlight bracket. I took the bar and redrilled it to lay the bar down. This dropped the headlight down one inch, and moved it forward one inch direction. It got it out in front of the windshield. I could not drive at night until I did this. The orange glare from the running lights, and the white from the headlight on the back of the windshield made it dangerous.

Oh yea! The parts book says that it comes with the turn signal relocation kit. It lies!. I had the dealer open three boxes to prove it. I had to buy them.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:52 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

I have one on my FXDI. About the same as all the other windshields I've used; no better and no worse. I do like the way it clamps to the fork tubes. At first, I thought it was baulky and kind of ugly. But it's really nice to be able to move it up and down. I hate looking through the windshield, it bugs me. I'd much rather look over the top. The wider center section is supposed to direct air away from the hand grips. If it does, I can't tell.

I tried riding dow the highway with the windshiled all the way up, about 2" above my line of sight. Then I stopped and lowered it to about 2" below. There was more wind buffeting on my helmet with the windshiled all the way up! Go figure.

Quick Reply: HD Quick Release Touring Windshield