Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H big radius w/FuelPak on Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:47 AM
guzzishop
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H big radius w/FuelPak on Street Bob

Anyone have experience with this setup? I was told (West End Motorsports) that the FuelPak was much better than the H-D race tuner. I'm also considering the Arlen Ness billet sucker (again, WEM says it's better than the H-D heavy breather setup).

Finally, V&H gave me the FuelPak numbers for no baffles in the big radius (2 into 2) along with a stage II A/C. Anyone know how removing the baffles will affect engine performance (i.e., will it run too hot)?

UPDATE: Disregard! I decided to go with the Screamin eagle race tuner. My 2009 Street Bob came with the factory security system. Even without the optional siren, there was not enough room to stuff the FuelPak and wiring harness into the "frame opening under the seat" as the FuelPak instructions suggest. I purchased the FuelPak without too much investigation and based largely upon the opinion of a single individual at West End Motorsports, who bashed the Screamin Eagle Race Tuner. My mistake. After much investigation (and agonizing about having spent $252 on the FuelPak), I bought the SERT and sold the FuelPak on the H-D Classifieds. The SERT was very easy to hookup, then download the "canned" map that most closely matched my setup. I installed V&H big radius 2-into-2 fitted with Thunder Monster baffles onto my Bob. Also installed the Screamin Eagle stage I heavy breather A/C. With this setup, I used canned map #67. The bike pulls hard and doesn't pop on deceleration. Haven't looked at the plugs yet, but intend to after several hundred more miles. The mileage went from about 45 mpg to about 42 mpg, so I think the canned map must be pretty close. Someday I might take it to be dyno'd, but I'll look for a shop with a good reputation. The local dealer says "any of our techs can do that," which I seriously doubt. Although the canned map is easy to install, you really need to know what you're doing to properly tune a bike with the SERT while on the dyno.

One more thing to consider about the FuelPak--I've heard that a defective FuelPak can fry the ECM (engine control module). Then you'd be looking to buy a new ECM and either a SERT or Power Commander. That would really suck!

Last edited by guzzishop; 03-18-2009 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Update to include final setup.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:03 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have that set up on mine, it works fine. I have the baffles in mine though. I have heard that you lose a lot of power if you remove the baffles. It may sound louder, but performance sucks JWIH. I did the fuelpak because at the time I needed to reduce the cost, but now am doing some additional mods that require the race tuner. So go figure, you could save some future $$$ if you buy the race tuner now. I figure I can sell my fuelpak when I get the new race tuner...

Old 02-09-2009, 12:11 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am an advocate of the fuelpak but even I won't argue that it's better than the SERT. I have the Big Radius, with baffles, and the Big Sucker Stage 1 a/c. Bike runs great. But I don't have the tuning capability you would get with the SERT if I wanted it. I can put mine on a dyno all I want but there really isn't anything to tune. If you need or want that ability, you need something like a SERT or Power Commander. I just wanted my bike to run well with the stage 1 setup and I wasn't interested in spending the time and money to fine tune it.

As for removing the baffles, yeh I hear you will lose low end torque by doing that. It will be much louder but performance will suffer and the fuelpak can't fix that.

Not sure why you need or want a stage II A/C if you are running a stock motor, otherwise, but whatever floats your boat.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:15 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

That fuelpak was garbage for me. That thing was such a waste of money.. I wish I would have gone with the PCIII to begin with, or SERT (screaming eagle race tuner). I have a PCIII now, and still wish I would have gone with a SERT. But ya know, ya live and learn.

When I first put on a full system exhaust, I put on big radius pipes, fuelpak and arlen ness big sucker stage 1. I was VERY dissappointed with the fuelpak. Made my bike run like crap. Backfired, pinged, backfired even more, and everything you can think of it doing wrong, that's what it did. Not a good modification. Spend the extra money and get a PCIII or SERT. It'll be worth it in the long run. Don't get me wrong, some people are more then pleased with the fuelpak, but for me it was a very poor experience. I'm sure others will chime in and say the fuelpak is awesome or whatever, but I'm just speaking from my own experience. Take it for what it is. Good luck....

Old 02-09-2009, 12:18 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

pulling the baffles completely sucked away the torque when I did it. Get a sert or tts mastertune. I don't think I would trust someone that says the fuelpack is better than a sert.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:21 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not going to call BS on Adrian's testimony. That's the one thing about the fuelpak, you either love it or you hate it and there's no way to know in advance. Some of us, like me, have had good experiences with it and others have called it complete garbage and even posted pix of it literally being used as garbage. LOL.

If you are going through a dealer for these mods, see if they will let you install it and take it back if it runs like crap. You'll know right away if it isn't what your bike needs.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

And because of Adrian's misfortune with the fuelpak - I bought it from him. The thing works perfectly for me. I'm in the same catagory as 2007fxdc - just wanted it to run good without having to tweak the thing. We used to do that to our snomobiles and had it running right on the edge.

It's easy for me to spend someone else's money - so get the SERT. Have it dyno'd and help stimulate the economy...

Old 02-09-2009, 12:33 PM
sgt.tackleberry45
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a buddy who has a vance and hines pipe with the fuel pack. he swears that you have to go with a v and h tuner if you have a v and h pipe. his sounds and works great. I have a thunderheader with a PC III and mine sounds and works better.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I hated my fuelpak. Ran like crap, and popped like crazy out the exhaust. V&H insisted I had the right map, and there was nothing to change that could fix it. Took it off, and bike ran beautiful, and all popping went away.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:30 PM
yoseppi
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the exact setup, big radius on my 07 bob with big sucker air cleaner, SERT and dynoed. I also use the Big City Thunder Baffles for increased sound with still maintaining correct backpressure. Don't run without baffles on these pipes or the torque disappears.

Get it tuned and you'll have a screamin loud ride.

Quick Reply: V&H big radius w/FuelPak on Street Bob