Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Street Bob - Fuel leaking from petcock

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:06 PM
ddc1279
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Street Bob - Fuel leaking from petcock

Hello all, Im slowly getting my bike running again after leaving it sitting for about a year. After getting a new fuel pump and cleaning the inside of the tank, I got the bike running again. Now, however, while the bike is running fuel is pouring out of the petcock. The hose leading to the engine is fine. The connection on that hose that goes into the petcock locking mechanism seems to be fine also. I dont know what could really be the problem. When I clip the fuel line into the petcock I immediately see a small flow of fuel coming out. What could be my issue? Do I need to replace the petcock assembly on the tank and the connector on the fuel line? What are the part numbers for these items for a 2006 Street Bob?

Old 02-09-2009, 04:02 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ddc1279
Hello all, Im slowly getting my bike running again after leaving it sitting for about a year. After getting a new fuel pump and cleaning the inside of the tank, I got the bike running again. Now, however, while the bike is running fuel is pouring out of the petcock. The hose leading to the engine is fine. The connection on that hose that goes into the petcock locking mechanism seems to be fine also. I dint know what could really be the problem. When I clip the fuel line into the petcock I immediately see a small flow of fuel coming out. What could be my issue? Do I need to replace the petcock assembly on the tank and the connector on the fuel line? What are the part numbers for these items for a 2006 Street Bob?
With the issues you had with the rest of the tank components, I would suggest assuming some of the scale, corrosion, and crap is interfering with the sealed connection at the quick-connect. I would drain the tank, unthread the coupler from the tank, and clean everything on the hose end and coupler you can get to. Clean the check valve and replace the o-rings. Carb cleaner and a compressor hose will help. Before you put it back together, replace the o-ring at the base of the coupler where it meets the tank.

I bet after this, you will have one of the best maintained Street Bobs on the forum.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Greazzie
6th Gear

My 06' did the same thing to me this fall a day before a 3-day ride. I just replaced the O-ring in the petcock. Searched around on here for some sizes and bought accordingly. I can't remember the size recommended, but in my case it didn't fit. Needed the bike ASAP so we just went with a larger O.D. and shaved it down. I was skeptical of the
"hack" job, but haven't had an issue. The quick disconnect now seals better than ever,
in fact its a chore to disconnect, as apposed to its sloppy stock state.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:47 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the same problem. I had my tank off and when I put it back on fuel gushed out. I unhooked the coupler, put it back together and no more leak. Happened to me twice and this worked both times.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:57 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

I have a 99 FX so not sure how much different the fuel petcock is! Mine has a vacuum diaphgram so that when the engine is not running and petcock is in the on position no fuel will leave the tank. When the diphagram went bad it leaked. hope this helps.

Russ

Old 02-10-2009, 08:53 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My fuel connect leak was caused by the O-ring also. I replaced it with an O-ring from Lowes, I got a box of them for $1, it's the same size as the rings on the oil drain plugs.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:03 PM
ddc1279
Advanced

Would anyone be willing to get me a picture of the o-ring and where it located? I'm not sure if I need to be looking at the connector that goes into the quick connect on the tank, or the part that is on the tank.

I looked at the connector that is on the vaccuum hose and there is a notch on it that looked like a o-ring could go, but no o-ring. I'm not really sure where I need to look.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:56 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the oring inside the connector on the tank get pinched. I'm no where near my bike right now so sorry, no pics.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:40 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ddc1279
Would anyone be willing to get me a picture of the o-ring and where it located? I'm not sure if I need to be looking at the connector that goes into the quick connect on the tank, or the part that is on the tank.

I looked at the connector that is on the vaccuum hose and there is a notch on it that looked like a o-ring could go, but no o-ring. I'm not really sure where I need to look.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:51 PM
ddc1279
Advanced

Ok well I still dont know where the o-ring is I need to look for. Is it on part number 8 or the connector on part 21?

I know I am being a pest but I want this bike running right again. Soon.

Quick Reply: 2006 Street Bob - Fuel leaking from petcock