Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander plug full of water...not good results!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:36 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Power Commander plug full of water...not good results!

Have you ever gotten water into your Power Commander connector? Yesterday I washed my bike. When I finished, I started it up to pull it back into my shop and noticed it was running like crap...missing, popping etc. I didn't think too much about it. Today I came out and started it up to go ride and it was still running a little bit rough. I took off up the road and got up to about third gear and came to a stop at the end of my road. When I released the throttle the engine did not return to idle...it stayed at the same rpm as it was before I let off the throttle. And it was missing and popping pretty bad. I shut it off and started it back up and it was idling again. I took off up the road again and it ran terrible. Once again it would not come back to idle. It just stayed at whatever the highest rpm was. I again shut it off and coasted it back to the house. I put it in the shop and took the electrical cover off and started unplugging the Power Commander thinking something might be wrong with it. Low and behold, when I unplugged the large plug that plugs into the ecm plug, it started pouring water. I got it all dried up and reconnected and it runs like a champ. I have got to come up with something to protect that plug from getting water in it.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:48 PM
phatman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you use dielectric grease on these connections?? Maybe??

Old 03-15-2009, 09:48 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Thanks for the Heads up is for sure an Electronic Module won't function right wet .. Will check mine over and look more into perhaps sealing the connection a little better with the rain get in Florida...

Old 03-15-2009, 09:52 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If Mud count as a liquid or semi liquid ? Then yes it has happened to me. It's not fun at all. But just like you cleaned it up dried it out, problem solved.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:23 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My connector is sitting right where they show it in the installation instructions....Problem is, the connectors plastic housing is wide open where the wires enter it and the opening is pointed up which means it will catch and hold water. The water runs right into the pins shorting them to one another. Not a good scenario. Something I definately have to fix. I don't think rain would be too much of a problem because with the seat on water really should not get in there but I don't care to take any chances.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:36 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Take RTV silicone and fill the back of the connector where the wires go in, that should restrict the amount of water that can come in that way.

If you don't need to disconnect the PC very often run a small bead of silicone around the mating difference of the two connectors, after you connect them. You can still disconnect if you need to later, it just won't be as easy. You should be able to 'pull' the bead of silicone away.

Just a thought.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Kaycee
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey I noticed this allso when I put mine on fri.I need to do something allso.Have you noticed any better performance with yours?I have about the same setup only V&H slipons and a SE breather.I haven't seen the performance gains that everyone else is telling they got ,my plugs look great alittle gray on the end which I looked in the manual and it says that they are good allso.Maybe I need a dyno.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Kaycee
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey I noticed this allso when I put mine on fri.I need to do something allso.Have you noticed any better performance with yours?I have about the same setup only V&H slipons and a SE breather.I haven't seen the performance gains that everyone else is telling they got ,my plugs look great alittle gray on the end which I looked in the manual and it says that they are good allso.Maybe I need a dyno.Sure was fun installing that sob wasn't it?

Old 03-16-2009, 05:37 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phatman
Could you use dielectric grease on these connections?? Maybe??
This is the first thing I did when I installed my PC-III. I have used di-electric grease on most, if not all, connections on the bike.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:38 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on dielectric grease. the moco doesnt put it on any connectors. take about an hour or so. hit all your connectors with the stuff.

Quick Reply: Power Commander plug full of water...not good results!