Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Model Conundrum-Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 06:42 PM
kd4tsc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model Conundrum-Help!

I have a 1993 Lowrider and the sticker on the idiot light console reads: "1993 FXLR Low Rider 069 of 800". Unlike most big twins, this particular model, raqther than the neat chrome oil tank on the left hand side and a nice chrome battery cover on the right, my bike has two cheesy plastic covers on either side. I tell you this is to give anyone knowledgeable a little more information to work with. When I went to my local dealer, Harley Davidson of Greenville, SC, to purchase a shop manual, I was told that I own a "Dyna", so I purchased the shop manual titled "1993-1994 Dyna". When I got it home, I opened it up and this is where the conundrum takes place:
First, the pictures of the bikes inside are indeed Dynas; oil bag on one side, battery on the other. NOT the cheesy plastic covers. Moving along, I now look at a description of the VIN no. It don't match.
My VIN number is: 1HD1ELL10PY112982.
All Harley Davidson VIN numbers begin with 1HD, so we're good there.
Next, the following number is "1". The number 1 conotates 1,000CCs and less. A "4" indicates over 1,000CCs. My bike is 1,340CCs. Shouldn't there be a "4" in there?
Moving right along, the next letters indicate the model. If my bike were a Dyna, the letters would begin with a "G", instead as you can see, my VIN is "E". An "E" is the model designation for an FXR! Dynas begin with "G".
The next "L" indicates 1,340CCs. Well, that's correct. The next "1" means "Regular Introduction" and the "0" is a HD Assembly Plant designator - means nothing. "P" is model year, 1993, which is correct and "Y" means it was assembled at the York, PA assembly plant (with domestic and foreign components). The following are merely the same numbers found on the crankcase.
So, what gives? Do I own a Dyna or an FXR.
The parts catalogues indicate this:
J&P: FXLR Low Rider/Special Edition, 1987 - 1994.
Dennis Kirk: FXLR Low Rider, 1990 - 1994.
Drag Specialties: FXR Model; FXLR 1987 - 1994.
Can anyone shed any light on what gives with the VIN discrepencies and tell me whether it's an FXD - Dyna or an FXR.
Thanks!

Old 05-17-2009, 07:06 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,314 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Looks a bag of mixed nuts. In 93' there was a FXRL Low Rider Custom, during that year the FXDL Dyna Low Rider came out. Now the FXR frame has a triangular shape on the sides where today's battery would be. That's the one of the major frame changes. According to your description you have a FXRL, cheesy covers and all. My source was "The Encyclopedia of Harley-Davidson". You will have to dig other sources to re-confirm the VIN breakdown. Take a pic of your bike and the manual back to the dealer, explain to them the difference.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:22 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Write a letter to Harley Davidson in Milwaukee. You would be surprised how helpful they are. They keep records on all bikes made......so if you send them the Vin number and ask them the questions you need answers to, they'll either

1. call you if you give them a phone number
or
2. send you a letter.

I did this with 3 of our bikes....I wanted to know how many of our specific model were produced that year, how many were produced in our limited edition custom colors and what date each of our bikes were actually manufactured on. I got answers to all 3 question on all 3 bikes.

Give it a try.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:24 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A picture would probally get a answer.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:44 AM
kd4tsc
Intermediate

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:36 AM
fldsb
Stage I
Default similar question on where to find HD codes

I recently purchased a 2007 Dyna Street Bob, just 1700 miles and great shape. I reveiwed the VIN code breakdown that is provided in the owner's book, but it refers to a 2007 Dyna Model V.I.N. Codes table for the Model number indicator of the VIN number. The 2-digit VIN indicator is GX which is consistent with the Dyna models, but I would like to find the HD table for all codes to verify the specific model. Is there a web page that you can reference that lists the HD Model VIN codes table for the specific model codes they use in their VIN numbers? I would expect the code GX to be one of several and to match the Dyna Street Bob model description.
Any ideas?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by kd4tsc
I have a 1993 Lowrider and the sticker on the idiot light console reads: "1993 FXLR Low Rider 069 of 800". Unlike most big twins, this particular model, raqther than the neat chrome oil tank on the left hand side and a nice chrome battery cover on the right, my bike has two cheesy plastic covers on either side. I tell you this is to give anyone knowledgeable a little more information to work with. When I went to my local dealer, Harley Davidson of Greenville, SC, to purchase a shop manual, I was told that I own a "Dyna", so I purchased the shop manual titled "1993-1994 Dyna". When I got it home, I opened it up and this is where the conundrum takes place:
First, the pictures of the bikes inside are indeed Dynas; oil bag on one side, battery on the other. NOT the cheesy plastic covers. Moving along, I now look at a description of the VIN no. It don't match.
My VIN number is: 1HD1ELL10PY112982.
All Harley Davidson VIN numbers begin with 1HD, so we're good there.
Next, the following number is "1". The number 1 conotates 1,000CCs and less. A "4" indicates over 1,000CCs. My bike is 1,340CCs. Shouldn't there be a "4" in there?
Moving right along, the next letters indicate the model. If my bike were a Dyna, the letters would begin with a "G", instead as you can see, my VIN is "E". An "E" is the model designation for an FXR! Dynas begin with "G".
The next "L" indicates 1,340CCs. Well, that's correct. The next "1" means "Regular Introduction" and the "0" is a HD Assembly Plant designator - means nothing. "P" is model year, 1993, which is correct and "Y" means it was assembled at the York, PA assembly plant (with domestic and foreign components). The following are merely the same numbers found on the crankcase.
So, what gives? Do I own a Dyna or an FXR.
The parts catalogues indicate this:
J&P: FXLR Low Rider/Special Edition, 1987 - 1994.
Dennis Kirk: FXLR Low Rider, 1990 - 1994.
Drag Specialties: FXR Model; FXLR 1987 - 1994.
Can anyone shed any light on what gives with the VIN discrepencies and tell me whether it's an FXD - Dyna or an FXR.
Thanks!

You own an 1993 FXR ( 2 Cheesy covers ) totally different than the 94 Dyna frame , some say the FXR is better ...

Last edited by Wonkaboy; 04-30-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:36 PM
ehc0720
Tourer
Default Lwos

LWOS, do you have an address and maybe a dept name to send a letter to HD for info?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Why is no one addressing the fact that the OP has a numbered bike? Maybe I'm wrong but the MoCo doesn't or didn't just number bikes for no reason. Is it possible you have something slightly collectible?

If the VIN doesn't match what you have....is it possible there has been a frame/motor switch?

Old 04-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Bone11B
Road Captain

Thats a good point

but The OP is also from a year ago

Quick Reply: Model Conundrum-Help!