Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do you think about windshields?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 06:27 PM
plank420
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you think about windshields?

Just want to know what people think of windshields. First bike thinking about getting one.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:39 PM
davidwideglide06
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: what do you think about windshields?

I bought one just for long trips and the day it came in I tried it out and as of yet it has not come off. I wear contacts and seems to keep alot of the wind and dust from getting in my eyes. Plus it sure cuts down on the wind noise on the interstate!

Old 05-13-2006, 06:53 PM
jburtonpdx
Advanced

I cant stand mine. The way its deflecting the wind it beats the crap out of my head... The rest of me is protected - nearly no wind hitting my chest....

Old 05-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Buggz
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been riding over 25 years, and never used a windshield, but with my new Bob, and the comfort of long hauls on this bike, I am going to try a small tombstone shield and see what its all about. I ordered it and am just waiting for it to be delivered.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:26 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior

I second davidwideglide. I bought a Windvest fo my bob and expected to use it for longer trips and take it off around town. I put it on to adjust it and test it out about a month ago and haven't taken it back off. I was impressed at how much nicer a ride it is with it on. It may not look as cool as the bike without it, but it's staying on.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:46 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a HD detachable touring shield. I don't use it when I'm just riding around town. But on a long haul it's very comfortable. I wouldn't want to take a long trip without one.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:51 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I wouldn't own a motorcycle without a windshield if I intended to use it for travel. I used to take the detachable off of the Roadking and ride around a little. Okay to play around town, but not for the road.

I went to Sturgis one time with a guy that thought windshields were for sissys. He was windburned and beat up pretty bad by the time the trip was over.

Regards,

Bill

Old 05-13-2006, 09:17 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Love mine. Detachable for short runs. Great on long runs.

Old 05-13-2006, 09:19 PM
iwant1
Tourer

I can understand those who ride on lots of long trips at relatively high speeds having them, if I was doing that sort of riding regularly I'd probably consider a bagger though.

For me though I love the wind hitting the body full frontal, it's part of the experience, particularly with Harleys. I've also read some really bad reviews about some of the HD windsheilds (and in particular one for the dyna). Obviously some of the folks here think they're OK though.

From an asthetics point of view my own opinion on Dynas is they really take away from the great look of these bikes. Having said that though, nobody puts them on becuase they look good.

My advice - If you are going to do lots of long trips in all weather, consider one, and do some solid research on the exact model you are after. Otherwise see how you go without one. Maybe try to borrow or rent a bike with one for a short while.

Perhaps you guys who have a windshield could post the model name and/or part number to help out plank420 ?

Old 05-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Detachable - great for trips and it comes off with nothing left behind for around town.

Quick Reply: what do you think about windshields?