Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Done w/ Flush Mount Fuel Cap/Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Shizims
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Done w/ Flush Mount Fuel Cap/Gauge

I've had it with my flush mount fuel cap/gauge! The LED's on the fuel gauge are "here sometimes gone tomorrow" and now the "pop-up" fuel cap refuses to pop up with out some prying with the corner of a credit card.

So... I'm going to go with a low profile gas cap and a matching "dummy" cap for the left side. Something from Drag Specialties or Arlen Ness.

I've heard with no fuel gauge the Low Fuel light on the speedo is on all the time. Can anyone confirm this is true? If so, is there a fix? Going without a fuel gauge is fine with me as long as I can rely on a low fuel light as a worst case reminder. Does anyone know of a way to jump or rig up a fix to the empty fuel gauge connector to trick the bike that there is a fuel gauge there and keep the functionality of the Low Fuel light?

Last edited by Shizims; 08-10-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the flush mounts and they suck for me too.

I just use the odometer.

The low fuel light works without the LEDs hooked up...but on mine, low means more than 2 gallons left!

I don't get any reading at all on my LEDs anymore.

Was thinking about trying to hook up the stock guage with a bracket mounted on the head or something inconspicuious.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Shizims
Tourer

I use the odometer too, I'm just ready to get rid of this junk. The pop-up gas cap refusing to pop up without being pried up was the last straw. It looks junky when you have this half lit LED thing on your tank. It looks like a crappy x-mas tree with half the lights out.

I just think having the low fuel light on all the time would be annoying and takes away that last bit of idiot proofing using the odometer for a fuel gauge.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Shizims
the "pop-up" fuel cap refuses to pop up with out some prying with the corner of a credit card.
That would suck. I can/am live with the led's going in and out, but the cap needs to work...

Old 08-10-2009, 01:42 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Get the Kury's you won't be disappointed.

Don't think there is anyway for the system to identify that the tank is low on fuel without a gauge of sort to tell it that. You can dummy rig it so it stays off, but you can't turn it into a gauge without a gauge...

Old 08-10-2009, 02:02 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the Kuryakin flush mounts on my 94 Low Rider, they work really well. Don't know about the low fuel thing though. Got the HD flush mounts on my Fat Bob, never any problems.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Shizims
Tourer

I don't like the kury's. They look too techie, modern for me. I didn't even like the LED's on the HD ones. I'm trying for a simple clean look.

Last edited by Shizims; 08-11-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:24 PM
medic77
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad I read this before I went and bought them. Maybe I will get the new low profile black ones

Old 08-11-2009, 09:32 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shizims
I don't like the kury's. They look too techie, modern for me. I didn't even like the LED's on the HD ones. I'm trying for a simple clean look.
I was looking for someting a little sleeker too, but they were the only thing available at that time. I got used to the aircraft look.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:49 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ya the Harley LED's are terrible. I have the LED gauge on my SG and it only lasted a few monnths beofre it started acting up.

Thinking of putting a ignition switch in its place.

Quick Reply: Done w/ Flush Mount Fuel Cap/Gauge