Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDL and heated clothing question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 09:01 AM
extsieg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXDL and heated clothing question?

I have a 09 FXDL and was looking at buying some heated clothing. I would like to get covered from head to toe but I'm worried if my bikes electrical system can handle the load. Does anyone here use some or all of a heated system if so what brands and did you have to make any upgrades to the electrical system to handle the increased load demand?

I have done some reading on Gerbing heated clothing but still am on the hunt for other brands.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Marksman
Road Captain

Your in Alabama for God's sake, how cold can it get????

In Michigan, I use Gerbing gloves on my FXD and I'm good down to 30 degrees. I ran a cable from the battery into a leather case on the tank console. I put a on/off switch in a project box, stuffed into the leather case.
I know I didn't answer your question about load. I'm just thinking that you can start with a piece or two and see if you really need to load up.

By the way, you may want to check this site.
http://heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml

Old 10-15-2009, 09:52 AM
extsieg
Cruiser

LOL, I hear ya Bama is not MI, but you do start to feel the chill here in the next few months. I also plan on doing runs up to Michigan to visit my folks so I know for sure I would need the gear. Thanks for the link Ill check em out. Gloves for sure and a coat down here I can get away with but 1000 plus miles up to Michigan and I will need the whole set up, plus I can talk smack to all my friends who don't have the heated gear

Old 10-15-2009, 11:24 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is some info. from the Harley heated clothing book. Gerbing makes Harley's heated clothing.
I used the fuse box to fish the cables and pig tail to the battery. I also use this connection to plug in my battery tender.

Attached Thumbnails FXDL and heated clothing question?-fxd-motorcycle-family.jpg  

Last edited by tomt; 10-15-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:37 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your electrical system can handle all your heated clothing needs. Gerbing is the best..no need to look elsewhere. I have the heated gloves and jacket/vest liner and I am fine. Others also have the heated pants and socks/sock liners. Their electrical systems handle it just fine. Get the dual switch thermostat so you can control your pants and vest/gloves separately. Warning - without the thermostat to control the temp, if you get the vest liner/jacket liner, you will hot hot as hell within 10 minutes.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:59 PM
extsieg
Cruiser
Default Good info

Thanks for the info,

Last edited by extsieg; 10-15-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:18 PM
extsieg
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rdondes
Your electrical system can handle all your heated clothing needs. Gerbing is the best..no need to look elsewhere. I have the heated gloves and jacket/vest liner and I am fine. Others also have the heated pants and socks/sock liners. Their electrical systems handle it just fine. Get the dual switch thermostat so you can control your pants and vest/gloves separately. Warning - without the thermostat to control the temp, if you get the vest liner/jacket liner, you will hot hot as hell within 10 minutes.
Thanks for the info, I plan on getting the liner and a set of gloves to start off with. I just picked up a FXRG jacket today and tried the heated liner on with the jackets liner removed. I think it fits better than the standard liner that comes with the jacket. Ill start off with the Gloves then move to the jacket as the temps cool down. On a side note that FXRG coat was a little pricy but I got them to knock off 150 dollars so I jumped on it since I needed a non perforated jacket for this time a year. Of course it was hot as hell all day to day so I did not get a chance to wear it

Attached Thumbnails FXDL and heated clothing question?-img_0234.jpg  
Old 10-16-2009, 07:01 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did anyone click on the Attachment I Posted. It has the RPM's,Amps and the Watts listed that the heated clothing needs to function properly.
When the attachment opens click on it two times. I don't know why, the first view is to small to read. It must be a problem with my scanner.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:51 AM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the vest liner and I will admit that without the thermostat it gets real toasty. My low cost solution is to reach down and turn it off for a bit, then turn it back on when I start to feel the chill. Yeah, not the most effective solution, but I just haven't invested in the thermostat yet.

You should be fine with the electrical load on the bike assuming you aren't running any other major electrical accessories. I've used the vest and a Garmin Zumo with no negative effects. The biggest thing to remember is to wait to turn your heated gear on until the bike is running. It also helps to turn the gear off before stopping the bike. I like to kill the gear on the way into the neighborhood.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:53 PM
extsieg
Cruiser

Boy do I need some heated gear. I spent 7.5 hours on the scoot today. I went for a ride over to the Mississippi state line and ended up down on the Gulf Coast of FL after getting a photo of me jumping into MS.

Temps this morning were 54 when I hit the door to roll down the road. About a hour into the ride I was thinking about this post and how I should have got the heated gloves at the HD dealer yesterday and 3 hours into the ride I was wishing I had the jacket and boot liners. South of State Line MS, "city of" the temps were on the rise and so were my spirits as well. First thing tonight Im going to order me a set.

Attached Thumbnails FXDL and heated clothing question?-img_0247.jpg   FXDL and heated clothing question?-img_0239.jpg  

Quick Reply: FXDL and heated clothing question?