Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk about DYNA's for new members...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 01:34 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Let's talk about DYNA's for new members...

Hi, everyone,

It seems the website is really growing, with alot of new members, and I'm seeing alot of questions regarding the differences in the DYNA models, So I wanted to start a thread to explain some of the basic differences in the models.

DYNA, or Dyna-Glides came into being when it's predecessor the the FXR was phased out at the end of 1995. The Dyna's main diffenence from the other FX series bikes (softtails) is that it has a rubber mounted motor. [&:]

The Dyna Superglide, is a FX, rubber mounted bike, modeled after the original Superglide that came out in 1971. The original was designed by Willie G. Davidson to give the customers what he was seeing at the bike rallys and shows. At that time most of the customs were FL (Bagger) Harleys that had been retofitted (chopped) with narrow, Sportster forks, removal of frame guards, no fairing, no bags, skinny front wheel, small front fender, and a slighly trimmed up rear fender, and sometimes a a FL front fender on the rear, which gave the rear the Bobtail fender look. The FL front fender, when used on the rear could have either the swept up bobtail look or spun around 180 degrees could have the straight line along the bottom edge, aka the Softail Deuce look

The Dyna Superglide Custom is just a Superglide with chrome engine covers, the tank center console is painted the same color as the tins, and has chrome bits and pieces added from the factory.

Both the Superglide and Superglide Custom have the silver motor. It should be noted that the engine is silver POWDERCOATED, not just raw silver aluminum !!!!![&:]

*****UPDATE!!! It appears that I forgot a model![&o] The FXDX or Dyna Superglide Sport discontinued production in 2005 and was designed for riders more interested in their bikes corner-carving capabilities that just straight line cruising. These models had a black krinkle motor and transmission, as well as other bits and pieces, and the most notable item on these models was that the front and rear shocks were adjustable to fine tune the cornering ability of the bike, and the bike had dual front brakes as well. The Sport model was available as just the Sport and the Sport-Touring, which was a sport with a small body colored fairing around the headlight and small saddlebags.[&:]

The Dyna Lowrider, is a Superglide with a few differences. It has a lowered suspension, through shorter rear shocks and lower springs in the front forks, and of course a shorter jiffy (kick) stand. It also has a different gask tank with both the speedo and tach in the center of the tank, with the left cap being just a fuel gauge and the right cap being where the fuel goes in. It has a black powercoated motor with chrome bits and pieces, and other pieces on the bike are chormed as well.

The Dyna Wide Glide is compeletely different than a standard Dyna. The frame is longer, i.e. stretched, and has alot more rake in the head tube of the frame. Becasue of the stretched frame, the fuel tanks, fenders, etc. are different, and that explains why alot of parts ARE NOT interchangeable with a standard DYNA.

Lastly is the Dyna Street Bob. This model has a similar fuel tank to the lowrider, but the center gauge cluster has the speedo only. The engine is entirely finished in Black Krinkle powder coat as is alot of the other trim pieces. this model is basically a Superglide with shorter rear shocks, and a wideglide handlebar setup, with a solo seat. Also available in the Denim Black color, which is meant to look like black primer, but is actually gloss black that was painted with a flat clear coat.

Since many of these pices can be intercharnged, it tells you, the owner/enthusiast, that a Superglide can easily be "street Bobbed", if you so desire, or vice-versa.

Keep in mind=again, DYNA Wide Glides are a separate deal, parts don't interchange![:@]

1996-2003 Dyna parts may or may not fit on the newer models,

Old 07-02-2006, 01:40 PM
theyogawarrior
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Let's talk about DYNA's for new members...

thanks, quite a bit I did'nt know.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:52 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very well put,..............

John

Old 07-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

When I bought my 05 SuperGlide, it had more to do with the price tag than anything else. I wanted a big twin and I didn't want to be making payments. I would look at other bikes and think, gee...maybe I should have gotten a Heritage, but after renting one in Florida few months ago I am sold on my FXDI.

The bike just fits me better and I think it handles nicer too. Since that time I have invested a ton in making it mine, lots of chrome, pipes, bags, windshield, more chrome, mini apes and oh yeah, a little more chrome. Over the winter I have a custom paint job in mind that should truely make it mine.

The SuperGlide and the Bob have to be the best values in the entire Harley line up. Glad to be a member of the club.

Travler, thanks for your wealth of information.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:24 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, I haven't ridden any other model of Harley, but I can also say, I too am proud to be in "Club DYNA"

Old 07-02-2006, 03:26 PM
tmanary
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am glad to be a member of club Dyna but you forgot one of us. I know after 05 we are no longer in production but the Sport is still a member. Thanks for all the info though I am still a fairly new member of the dyna family and I didn't know some of that.

Tony

Old 07-02-2006, 04:55 PM
WgSkee
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

traveler...Good one... I got a Fathers Day present, "The Encyclopedia of the HARLEY DAVIDSON, Celebrating 100 Years", By Peter Henshaw & Ian Kerr, it's a great book actually I think it's probaly the best I've read about HD... It's about $30.00 bucks... Thanks again.. traveler

Old 07-02-2006, 07:45 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,785 Likes on 2,066 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmbear328
Very well put,..............
John
Very well put indeed.

Thanks for taking the time Joe.

mud

Old 07-03-2006, 03:06 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: tmanary

I too am glad to be a member of club Dyna but you forgot one of us. I know after 05 we are no longer in production but the Sport is still a member. Thanks for all the info though I am still a fairly new member of the dyna family and I didn't know some of that.

Tony

Sorry about that....I will edit the post.

joe

Old 07-03-2006, 03:17 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member

bump, please

Quick Reply: Let's talk about DYNA's for new members...