Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Dyna Inner Primary Bearing Failure - Another Unhappy Customer's Story

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 02:08 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by abez
Old post but same old problem...

So I too am now experiencing this IPB issue on my 2006 FXDBI. I recently purchased from a private seller at 6,200 miles with no issues. at 7,200 miles after a weekend of riding, I noticed this same noise coming from the primary/trans area. In neutral, pull in the clutch lever and it goes away, lever out in neutral and there's that sound .
I contacted Harley customer service and they claim not to know of this issue and regardless it needs to be diagnosed by my local HD service dept.
So, I dropped it off last week and explained to them that this seemed to be a common problem that occurred in 2006 dynas. The service manager seemed hesitant to accept that this was a problem. they pulled up service history and said the repair was already done once. I showed them that this was not the IPB issue, this was a tranny recall regarding the neutral light on and had nothing to do with the IPB.
I printed out the amended service bulletin stating that ever 15,000 miles IPB would be changed at HD's cost, and so he contact HD Tech and came back with the later amendment stating that there is no longer a need to change the IPB. I left the bike there and had them diagnose the problem.

I just got a call back stating that HD Corporate will not be covering the cost of repairs. The issue is in fact Inner primary bearing failure and it has also most likely caused the Clutch baskets teeth to be worn/broken off as well as the starter gear teeth broken off due to movement on the shaft.
they are quoting me a bill of $2020 for the repair to include new bearing, clutch basket and starter.

this doesn't even seem to be the permanent fix just the temp fix until the IPB fails again later down the road.

I'm not sure what to do they said they contacted HD tech/corporate and they will not cover the cost. They say its a 10 year old bike and the issue has been resolved. The bike only has 7,200 miles on it.

any help/advice as to what should I do?
$2000? To hell with that. Which dealer has your bike, Patriot? If it comes to it tell them you want the bike back and we'll figure something out. I've replaced clutch hub, bearing, clutch ring gear, etc before on my 2009 Dyna. I may not work the fastest but it won't cost you $2000. I think the diagnosis is correct as my understanding is clutch lever out in neutral is the IPB since the Main Drive Gear is taken out of the equation (your mainshaft is spinning on the two needle bearings within the Main Drive Gear in neutral). I guess it could be your needle bearings inside the Main Drive Gear making the noise. That wouldn't be good. Ask them if there's any signs that the IPB is toast or if they're just replacing stuff for the hell of it. And why a new starter, why not rebuild it, did they confirm it's in need of replacement? Also the clutch hub teeth. .are they worn so badly that they can't use them or are they just speculating?

If it turns out it's just your IPB and it might be a re-occurring problem because you don't have the dowels on your transmission housing your options aren't appealing. Keep an eye on it after replacing the worn items and know that it'll come back, or you could always go to town on the transmission and replace it with a revised housing that has the locating dowels. There might be a third option through S&S or Baker using a different bearing design I kind of recall reading about.

Wanted to add for you. .people were getting Harley to fix this as late as 2013:

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php?topic=64014.0

Since they already 'fixed it' once according to the records, you should be up for the whole deal (new transmission case with dowels). Just have to be persistent and talk to the right person at corporate.

Last edited by mattVA; 06-29-2016 at 02:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mattVA:
abez (06-29-2016), Barc (04-25-2019)
Old 06-29-2016, 06:25 PM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, the way I see it you have a few options:

1. You can pay the $2020 for the temp fix

2. You can pay more for the permanent fix (trans cases).

3. You can take it home and sell it to some other guy (crappy choice IMO).

4. You can fix it yourself, if you have the skills, which entails reading a shop repair manual.

5. You can trade it in on a new(er) bike.

6. You can get an attorney's opinion on if you have a case regarding getting the bike repaired (permanent repair), sometimes you can find one that will give you a free consultation. But this may end up costing you more than just paying for the permanent fix.

No really good options there.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:52 PM
abez
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mattVA
$2000? To hell with that. Which dealer has your bike, Patriot? If it comes to it tell them you want the bike back and we'll figure something out. I've replaced clutch hub, bearing, clutch ring gear, etc before on my 2009 Dyna. I may not work the fastest but it won't cost you $2000. I think the diagnosis is correct as my understanding is clutch lever out in neutral is the IPB since the Main Drive Gear is taken out of the equation (your mainshaft is spinning on the two needle bearings within the Main Drive Gear in neutral). I guess it could be your needle bearings inside the Main Drive Gear making the noise. That wouldn't be good. Ask them if there's any signs that the IPB is toast or if they're just replacing stuff for the hell of it. And why a new starter, why not rebuild it, did they confirm it's in need of replacement? Also the clutch hub teeth. .are they worn so badly that they can't use them or are they just speculating?

If it turns out it's just your IPB and it might be a re-occurring problem because you don't have the dowels on your transmission housing your options aren't appealing. Keep an eye on it after replacing the worn items and know that it'll come back, or you could always go to town on the transmission and replace it with a revised housing that has the locating dowels. There might be a third option through S&S or Baker using a different bearing design I kind of recall reading about.

Wanted to add for you. .people were getting Harley to fix this as late as 2013:

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php?topic=64014.0

Since they already 'fixed it' once according to the records, you should be up for the whole deal (new transmission case with dowels). Just have to be persistent and talk to the right person at corporate.

Hey, thanks for the info. yeah its Patriot HD.
they're telling me that when they contacted HD Tech, they were told to look for the dowels and my bike had the dowels. this indicated to them that the bike had a newer primary and wont be covered by HD goodwill.
is this true? dowels mean newer case?
HD is telling me the fix is new IPB and race. sound right? I advised them what ive been reading and they say the bike just needs the IPB and race, not the inner primary case, stator and all the other things mentioned in other peoples fixes online.

If I tell them to put it back together they're going to charge me for labor and diagnostics. I'm currently trying to find the big costly parts that they say have to be replaced online for a fraction of what they're charging.
Patriot is telling me that I need a new starter, new clutch basket and compensator sprocket kit. acquiring the parts online, I've calculated it down to $1300.
Anyone suggest I get anything else while they got it apart?

thanks for everyone's responses/help.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:13 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by abez
Hey, thanks for the info. yeah its Patriot HD.
they're telling me that when they contacted HD Tech, they were told to look for the dowels and my bike had the dowels. this indicated to them that the bike had a newer primary and wont be covered by HD goodwill.
is this true? dowels mean newer case?
HD is telling me the fix is new IPB and race. sound right? I advised them what ive been reading and they say the bike just needs the IPB and race, not the inner primary case, stator and all the other things mentioned in other peoples fixes online.

If I tell them to put it back together they're going to charge me for labor and diagnostics. I'm currently trying to find the big costly parts that they say have to be replaced online for a fraction of what they're charging.
Patriot is telling me that I need a new starter, new clutch basket and compensator sprocket kit. acquiring the parts online, I've calculated it down to $1300.
Anyone suggest I get anything else while they got it apart?

thanks for everyone's responses/help.
If you have dowels on your inner primary and they go to your transmission housing then yes you are good to go. The issue with the 2006 model was the transmission was missing the dowel holes. I believe all inner primary housing had the dowels. So hopefully they're telling you that yes the inner primary has dowels, and that the transmission accepts those dowels.

It sounds to me like they're bs'ing you on 'must replace' items. You don't have to do the compensator now unless it shows serious signs of wear and makes a lot of kickback noise on hot starts. If you just want to replace it I have a take off compensator that you can have. The starter is expensive and they should show you why it needs replaced. If yours is fine why replace it? Clutch hub I remember correctly was ~$130. I think your year is a problem year for the rotor and stator, do a search. I might have the rotor you'd need as well.

Should you decide you want the new compensator you want to go with the Big Twin Compensator. It's an upgraded part and runs around $3-400. No sense in replacing with the same part # that's in there now, the new model is much improved.

If it were me, I'd consider just the IPB and race, and maybe a different primary chain tensioner, and that's it for now. But I'd need to see the parts to make that call. I'm located in Alexandria if you need anything. I've had every part of this bike in my hands at one time or another so I know these Dyna's inside and out. I still think you should get the necessary items now from them (IPB and race) and if the other stuff is 'okay', let them put it back together and bring it by sometime after ordering the parts online at a deep discount. I can knock most of that out in an afternoon.

Matt

Last edited by mattVA; 06-29-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:34 PM
abez
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mattVA
If you have dowels on your inner primary and they go to your transmission housing then yes you are good to go. The issue with the 2006 model was the transmission was missing the dowel holes. I believe all inner primary housing had the dowels. So hopefully they're telling you that yes the inner primary has dowels, and that the transmission accepts those dowels.

It sounds to me like they're bs'ing you on 'must replace' items. You don't have to do the compensator now unless it shows serious signs of wear and makes a lot of kickback noise on hot starts. If you just want to replace it I have a take off compensator that you can have. The starter is expensive and they should show you why it needs replaced. If yours is fine why replace it? Clutch hub I remember correctly was ~$130. I think your year is a problem year for the rotor and stator, do a search. I might have the rotor you'd need as well.

Should you decide you want the new compensator you want to go with the Big Twin Compensator. It's an upgraded part and runs around $3-400. No sense in replacing with the same part # that's in there now, the new model is much improved.

If it were me, I'd consider just the IPB and race, and maybe a different primary chain tensioner, and that's it for now. But I'd need to see the parts to make that call. I'm located in Alexandria if you need anything. I've had every part of this bike in my hands at one time or another so I know these Dyna's inside and out. I still think you should get the necessary items now from them (IPB and race) and if the other stuff is 'okay', let them put it back together and bring it by sometime after ordering the parts online at a deep discount. I can knock most of that out in an afternoon.

Matt

I'm going to stop by HD Patriot tomorrow morning and see what they're talking about with the starter and clutch basket, they say they're both missing teeth possibly from the miss alignment. they advised that it could get worse but ill check the damage.
I did notice that when I popped it in to first from neutral it was loud, not sure if this is what the Comp sprocket kit is for, I just understand its for power transfer compensation. Ill let you know what happens. I could probably use a stator rotor while they've got the primary open.

thanks again for your help.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:10 PM
Wtownjake
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner primary bearing failed not being replaced

Very weird I have been looking through tons of these forums about the 06 ipb failure and they are all a lot older but this one has posts as recent as 2016.

Anyways I purchased the 06 wide about 2 months ago and my ipb just went causing bolts to break off and stator to get all chewed up. I myself took it apart and found that it had failed. Called customer care they said they would evaluate it on a case by case basis but needed to take it to the dealer so I did.

Dealer said that is in fact what went wrong but they called Moco and it will not be replaced and I had a 1000 dollar estimate for the stator rotor kit and bearing and labor and gaskets and all that.

I then take in the letter that harley sent out to all 06 dyna owners to my dealer and my dealer calls Moco back and explains this letter. Moco finally gives in some and says the opposite of what they have done for everybody else. They said they would replace my transmission housing and inner primary housing with 07 but I will be responsible for the stator/rotor kit and all the labor which would come to over 1,500 dollars.

Dealer tells me to call Moco and see if they will waive this. I do and Moco says nothing we can do you should be happy we are replacing that on a 10 year old bike. I explain that it was a manufactured problem which they sat money aside for and it should be replaced all on their dime. They tell me take it or leave it. I will not back down. I cannot afford 1,500 as I am a younger guy and have college to pay for now. Dealer and Moco keep pushing me back and forth on one another.

What should I do now?

Old 04-10-2019, 05:24 PM
brickhart
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone interested in being on board with a class action against Harley on this IPB issue ? They want 2600.00 t0 fix mine it has 15,000 miles on it.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:21 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Why do we have to bring up these 10 year old threads?? And,$2600 for a $15 bearing?? WTF? Anybody interested in a class action lawsuit against people that have nothing to do but talk about lawsuits?

The following users liked this post:
slippin_jimmy (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 10:32 AM
slippin_jimmy
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
Why do we have to bring up these 10 year old threads?? And,$2600 for a $15 bearing?? WTF? Anybody interested in a class action lawsuit against people that have nothing to do but talk about lawsuits?
My class action lawsuit will kick your class action lawsuit's ace

Old 04-19-2019, 01:05 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,598 Likes on 9,813 Posts

Do the 2005's have this issue?

The following users liked this post:
OakMountainRider (11-22-2023)

Quick Reply: 2006 Dyna Inner Primary Bearing Failure - Another Unhappy Customer's Story