Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Dyna Inner Primary Bearing Failure - Another Unhappy Customer's Story

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:36 PM
30YRSL8
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dyna Inner Primary Bearing Failure - Another Unhappy Customer's Story

I purchased a new 2006 Dyna Wide Glide in February 2006, which now has 9K miles on it. Recently I noticed a strange sound coming from the primary, in neutral, engine running. Pull in the clutch and engage 1st gear, sound goes away. While riding the sound can be heard. Start reading the information available here, grabbed my owners manual, and stapled in the back is the letter stating that the owners manual has been amended, lubricant change intervals have been changed, and the Inner Primary Bearing (IPB) will be changed at 15K miles, and subsequent 15K mile intervals, signed by HD's VP of Quality and Customer Service. Next stop is the HD dealership down the street, and leave it for the diagnosis process, after the service order writer starts it, listens to it, shakes his head, and shuts it off. Several hours pass, and then it's time for the news. An assortment of parts and roughly $ 500 and I should be back in business.

Needless to say, something is NOT right here. I take the owners manual and go back to the dealer, and end up having lengthy discussion with the Service Manager and other senior technical staff at the dealership.

Next step is they will be contacting HD and discussing my situation. I should hear back from them by Tuesday.

Tuesday comes and I check back with dealer. I'm told the bike is almost finished, they replaced the defective / damaged parts, and it is going to cost $ 100, an "Administrative Fee". I asked if they replaced the transmission case. No, just parts.

I contacted HD Customer Service to get a better explanation of the $ 100 fee. Basically, since the bike is out of warranty, the repair was classified as "Good Will". I asked what happens when it fails again. "We will review your history and make a determination at that time."

I thought HD was going to fix it right the first time, based on logic that would suggest one fix is better than two, which seems to be the trend for others who have experienced this situation.

I pick the bike up in a couple of hours. Each time I start it from now on, I will be listening closely for anything out of the ordinary. And each time before I shut it off, I'll check the mileage and do a quick calculation on how much longer it will be until it's deja vu all over again.

BTW. Since the dealer that repaired the bike is not the dealer where it was purchased (didn't want to ride the 40 miles with an iffy IPB), I'll be making another call to that Service Manager to get more information and register my complaint about the fee and the fix.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:41 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

ahhh man... Chad once again bud... thanks for your help getting the race off so i could pop the baker IPB in there... so nice

keep fighting man... get your money back!

Old 11-10-2009, 05:54 PM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went out for a ride myself and the starter was acting up kick back a little spinning so I decided to take to the dealer to see if my battery was going bad as I was close. Well they take it in and the starter starts grinding etc won't even tunover. I get this feeling in my gut the warranty on this bike went out on it last week. The service manger checks computer and tells me that my warranty was extended six months and will be out in April 2010. I hope they honor it when they find out what is wrong(with the mods I have made on it) Has anybody heard of this extension or is it just a computer error in my benefit for a change.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:47 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

It's because of the IPB issues that I don't own a FXD35...I love the look of that bike but I'm not up to having hassles with it. I had enough problems with my first Harley, an 03 Softail Standard I bought new! Hang in there...You'll get it straightened out. Others on here have.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:26 AM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by domenicp7
I just went out for a ride myself and the starter was acting up kick back a little spinning so I decided to take to the dealer to see if my battery was going bad as I was close. Well they take it in and the starter starts grinding etc won't even tunover. I get this feeling in my gut the warranty on this bike went out on it last week. The service manger checks computer and tells me that my warranty was extended six months and will be out in April 2010. I hope they honor it when they find out what is wrong(with the mods I have made on it) Has anybody heard of this extension or is it just a computer error in my benefit for a change.
My starter went out a little over a month ago, took it in and was sposed to be a day/day an 1/2 job. They called and said my wiring harness was burnt up, I went an looked, sure nuff toasted, glad I was still in warranty, took em two weeks to find a harness tho, had to pull one from production after I called corp, not one in stock in the USA. Now I have new starter and new wiring harness, should be good for another 45,000
My warranty ends this month too, I hope I get that 6 month extension, that would be sweet

Last edited by arnold; 11-11-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Larry S
Stage I

I have a 2007 Electra-Glide Classic. The IPB went out in '08 at approx 12k miles, while on my way to Milwaukee for the 105th. The stator cover ripped apart in '09 at about 15k miles, and now July 2010 the IPB has gone out again along with needing a new primary chain. The warranty has long expired.
Is the motor company doing anything about this problem and paying for any of the cost?
W

Old 07-26-2010, 10:46 PM
doorsidedown
Road Captain

HD didn't do my inner primary replacement, and tranny case replacement until it failed a third time... but i didn't pay for any of the fixes. since they replaced those parts, i havent heard a sound from my primary. i do know the total bill was around $1,700 total.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:05 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Going thru it myself

The IPB is a $40.00 fix with a Baker High Torque bearing kit. I have been told that some guys have 30k miles on them with no failures. Mine came in today. I must tell you if you have an 06 Dyna you best replace the stator and rotor with the updated 07 units while already in there as its gonna fail if you have the bolted together rotor.
I am gathering parts for mine currently and am definitely not gonna let any of the HD monkeys spin a wrench on my ride. Total cost is around 300 bux for all of the primary issues on the 06. You will spend that much in the runaround process HD will make you go through anyway. If you gonna ride a Harley you gonna wrench on em or get cornholed VIA Milwaukee.
Just do a search on 06 rotor failures and baker IPB and you will have a wealth of knowledge to draw from.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:13 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If your IPB fails and you have to open it up then do:

New doweled cases if you don't have dowels, Baker IPB, SE compensator, welded stator, upgraded Regina primary chain adjuster. That should do it for a long time.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:53 AM
X90
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an 06 with about 12k and when I was deciding how I was going to install my forwards, I decided to go into the inner primary to weld the stator and install a baker bearing. When I opened it up all the screws on the stator were there and the IPB looked fine.

I installed the forwards, the baker, and welded the screws. I wasn't going to continue to ride the bike always thinking that those components were going to fail, how I was going to fight the dealer if and when they did fail, how long the bike was going to out of commission and how many times it was going to happen.

The forward kit had all the gaskets needed, my friend had a welder..zero $$, and the baker cost about $50 shipped. Peace of mind...PRICELESS

If anything does happen now, I can use my new found mad mechanical skills to save the day!

Quick Reply: 2006 Dyna Inner Primary Bearing Failure - Another Unhappy Customer's Story