Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

black 5 3/4 bottom mount headlamp

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default black 5 3/4 bottom mount headlamp

Hi All,

I am going a little further in my quest to have a happy mixture of mostly black with a few subtle chrome accents on my old girl, the 98 Dyna. I have pulled my old bottom mounted 5 3/4 aftermarket Drag / Ness headlamp shell and trim ring and intend on having the main shell powdercoated black. (My bike is vivid black.) What I'm trying to decide is whether to do the main housing gloss or texture black and more importantly, would the trim ring look good black also or should I leave that as a chrome accent piece. I also thought about mixing up the texture and gloss on the two pieces? Anybody care to share there opinions and better yet any pictures of their own black headlight creations. It would be most appreciated. I need to get this complete before the riding season starts here very soon! Thanks for any pics or advice. Rick

Old 03-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Just Enough
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can try the look of a black housing with a chrome ring by rattle canning the housing satin black, gloss black or textured black, just dont sand or prepare the crome surface and the rattle can paint will come off easily with acetone or carb cleaner. Once you know what looks right on your bike you can then have it powder coated.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by Just Enough
You can try the look of a black housing with a chrome ring by rattle canning the housing satin black, gloss black or textured black, just dont sand or prepare the crome surface and the rattle can paint will come off easily with acetone or carb cleaner. Once you know what looks right on your bike you can then have it powder coated.
That's definately an option, thanks. I am hoping that a few will post up a couple of pictures of the two combos though to help in my decsion. I've been putting in so many hours at work, that I don't have time for much lately. I'm one of those that got kept on during some downsizing but my responsibility doubled and tripled. Out the door in the am before 5 and home between 9 and 10 at night six days a week and seven days every two weeks for on call rotation. doesn't leave much time.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:07 PM
DYJ
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

order one of these.... black bling

Old 03-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by DYJ
order one of these.... black bling

Thats pretty sharp looking. Unfortunately, when I converted my bike to the bottom mount head lamp I permanently installed the headlight mounting block which accomodated that particular head light. The block is 7/8". I have since found that all other bottom mounts take a 3/4 block.