Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 FatBob sputtering...again

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:16 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 08 FatBob sputtering...again

Hey all hope your winter is going good. Some of you already know me from my posts last fall on a fuel issue on my 08 fatbob. So here I are again. Almost ready to take it to the dealer though at this point.

Ok heres the story. Last fall I did a tin swap, no issues on the bikewhatsoever. Just has around 8000 miles now. After that swap, bike was sputtering, barely wanted to run. I searched on here and saw how the fuel line in the tank can get a pinhole or leak air. Checked my inside fuel line, didnt see anything for sure, but went ahead and installed some Gates submersible fuel line, since a lot of people were running to pinholes causing the bike sputtering situation. Still wouldnt run, but finally one day reseated my fuel line outside the tank hard as I could, bike ran good, no problems.

Ok, next, decided this winter to do the 16" ape hangers mod. They came out great, just finally got it all done. Put the bike back together, fired up like a champ. Except for one thing, now I get an intermittent hissing noise and stumble that usually starts about 5 minutes after the bike is running, almost like clockwork. Theres no loss of power though at all, just stumbling, and after about an hour of running around it goes away. I had a new fuel line assembly here still, that I never used, so I pulled the gates fuel line, installed it, same problem, put the gates back in, still same problem only since I wondered if different pressure was affecting things.

The bike is throwing no diagnostic codes at the speedo. Well, long story but thats it. Any ideas? Or am I going to be buying a new fuel pump at this point.

Thanks all sorry for the long winded junk
naz

Old 03-23-2010, 08:21 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

only other thought is the battery a little bad?...all the other stuff plugs, etc is ready for spring but i have had to recharge the battery the last 2 days. Can it cause this missing? The connections are tight.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:23 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

oh another note i did get a code b1006 overvoltage accessory? and i got some pn numbers, from what i read are part numbers? ill go back out and get those again.

wierd now too, battery was dead yet again, recharged it just to get it moved to the shed for the night where i park it, now my low fuel light stays on as well.

this is just not my day eh

Old 03-23-2010, 10:26 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Did you move your tank bank when you put on the bars? Did you remove the vent line at the top of the tank, and is it reconnected?

Check around your air cleaner.... make sure everything is tight.

Take a spray can of starter fluid (ether) and shoot small short shots at various places around your intake. If the hissing is a vacuum leak, the ether will enter at that point and increase your RPM just a little, and stop the stumble.

I offer that because it sounds like you've gone over the fuel delivery...

Old 03-23-2010, 10:27 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

If you've got electrical bugs, check the wiring on the bars you just did....

Old 03-24-2010, 01:46 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

Will do Archer I will try the spray then tonight and see what happens. I had the wrong number on that code, it was b1005 on the speedo, not 1006. Turns out its from the fuel sending unit under the speedo, but I will reset it and see what happens.

Ill check all my wire stuff also. Heres my full diagnostic from the speedo:
P None
S None Then shows a part number PN 68925-07 I googled it and it is the security system

SP b1005 PN 67096-04C Thats where I got the fuel sending unit.

My battery today was almost dead again, I use a black and decker smart charger, but I know one thing I did wrong, ran it charging the amps too high. I ran it at 6 amps, instead of at 2. And the other wierd thing, my fuel light was no longer on today, let it idle. Same thing, runs ok 3 or 5 minutes then stumbles and pop pop and runs pop pop....

Im also going to check my battery cables and connections on those later. Just trying to avoid taking it to the dealer shop still, with the way money is for us all lately.

Ok archer thank you I'll report back
We got snow here today......Id be grouchy if it was sunny and 85.
naz

Old 03-24-2010, 01:51 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

oh forgot to answer and yepper, I had the tank off the bike when I did all the wire work, disassembled

I also have a t and b on the diagnostic menu I know the t is a tach, dont gots one of those, and i have to look up the b, both no rsp

Old 03-25-2010, 01:43 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

Well one other thing through all this. Same thing as last fall, I think Im getting ready to buy a fuel pump. The pump is spraying fuel at the end of the small hose where it enters the black plastic "coupling", not from a pinhole or anything in the hose, but literally like the whole element is plugged possibly. When the bike started running good again, I thought it was supposed to do this, but im under the correct impression now there should be no gas coming out anywhere from anything in the tank like this, it will literally gush full out at this coupling, dumping it back in the tank and spraying from this area as the bike is running. The hoses have no holes, they are the submersible hoses, and it was doing this before I installed those as well.

Me thinks me has a bad fuel pump. What do yall think? Gonna have to get a new battery though also, I did charge it wrong, and the aforementioned code was from when my sender came unplugged under the speedo, that is fixed now.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:01 PM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default removed fuel line

Naz, when you removed the fuel line from inside the tank, it was a snap, you squeezed and pulled out the male nipple and then unscrewed the metal quik disconnect from the outside and slipped it out..

When you removed or replaced that hose.. did you bother to see if this was still attached..
(see attachment)if not, there goes your problem. If you forgot that gasket, you're gonna have a mess in there. your pump is fine, you just dont have a seal on your Fuel line. Hope this works.

Attached Thumbnails 08 FatBob sputtering...again-img00363-20100325-1459.jpg  

Last edited by CRZYLGZZ; 03-25-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:00 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

Heya crzy thanks for the reply man, btw that tank and fender you did is killer! Lovin that, those are badddddd.

Yah the green o ring is in there, the leak is on the other side. Here is a photo of where fuel is shooting out, its on the other side, I added a little photoshop drawing on it, its the other fitting directly on the other side.

hopefully i can get this photo on here

08 FatBob sputtering...again-ooo.jpg

Quick Reply: 08 FatBob sputtering...again