Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake clunking

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 10:08 PM
Cubby89
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Rear brake clunking

Hey all,

I've been doing some searching and will continue to do so but preparing for a long trip so trying to make sure my bike is in good order....

07 FXDB with around 50000 km (30k miles), had to brake hard for a light today. Did my best to get an understanding of it the rest of my ride. Happens at any speed if I lock up my back brake (can't get it to happen with the front brake, it won't lock up), clutch in or clutch out, and it definitely feels like the motor is shifting underneath me. Clunk sounds like it's coming from the left side but can't put my finger on exactly where.

i've been wondering if my motor mounts oughtta be replaced just due to the mileage on my bike and I get a vibration at high rpms. Would that be a logical solution? Front one looks a bit squished but I don't really know what I'm looking for. Can't get a good look at the rear, is there a trick for that?

Also worth noting front and rear suspension were both done over the winter so I don't think it's that. Head bearing was just recently adjusted (I WAS getting the clunk over bumps or with front brake applied but took care of that).

Any help would be great.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:45 PM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Picture of your front engine mount would help rule that out or not.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:04 PM
Cubby89
Tourer

This help?

Old 08-15-2019, 09:33 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Yup, you need to replace that.

The following users liked this post:
crusader1xxx (08-16-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 09:43 PM
Cubby89
Tourer

Originally Posted by F86
Yup, you need to replace that.
Hahaha perfect. Thanks man. I'll replace both of em.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:29 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

Don’t use stock Harley mounts...get yourself good aftermarket ones, predator mount, CCE, Big Bear chopper, chopper Haus and or the new mesh one....your wasting your time and money if you go with stock...

Old 08-19-2019, 08:09 AM
POOK_HD
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

But why is it not clunking under hard front or balanced braking? Shouldn't it shift and clunk under all hard braking conditions? Considering the front brake has far more stopping power, you should be getting the clunk a lot easier with front or balanced brake application than only rear.

I also don't know how you can't lock up the front brake. Does that mean you aren't willing to do it?

Old 08-19-2019, 01:29 PM
Cubby89
Tourer

Originally Posted by POOK_HD
But why is it not clunking under hard front or balanced braking? Shouldn't it shift and clunk under all hard braking conditions? Considering the front brake has far more stopping power, you should be getting the clunk a lot easier with front or balanced brake application than only rear.

I also don't know how you can't lock up the front brake. Does that mean you aren't willing to do it?
I've seen too many guys brake hard with the front, do an endo, and sometimes flip straight over so I don't use my front brake.

Kidding.😂. I'll get the clunk with balanced braking too but when I brake hard with the front I think either a) my suspension absorbs enough that it doesn't happen or b) I may not be getting all the power out of my front brake that I should be. I'll have to chexk it over. Just recently bled the lines with new brake fluid so might be my pads or something.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:04 PM
Cubby89
Tourer

Update for anyone who might be having this issue and stumble on this thread in the future.

Swapped out the front motor mount yesterday, rear is coming in tomorrow. Went OEM because I don't have the money for the "better" options and because I found that surprisingly in this case a lot of people who typically stray away from oem said that in this case it's actually a decent option.

Went for a ride tonight and found that the problem was probably 30% better. Was hopeful for more BUT I found some other good things. Clunk still happens, and sounds the same but feels better. Takes a much harder brake now and won't happen at super slow speeds. I'm hoping the rear one will solve the clunk. Other things I noticed instantly was my alignment was better. haven't even done an alignment yet, but my bike used to pull hard to the left, I'd say that's about 80% better. Will do an alignment when rear isolator is done. No change in vibrations but am going to shim the front this week at some point. The little bit I have doesn't bother me but may as well try and eliminate it.

All in all I realize now that even if the clunk isn't solved the motor mounts needed to be done and am glad I'm doing them. Will report back once rear is done.

Any guesses of what else might solve the clunk would be great if I'm still chasing it

Old 08-19-2019, 11:13 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 800 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubby89
am going to shim the front this week at some point
Don't mess with that until you've replaced the rear mount. When you do the engine should shift forward and may not need any shimming.

Quick Reply: Rear brake clunking