Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Dyna Glide Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, FXR Super Glide, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by: True-Track Inc.

P

Old 08-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Need help with P0122 TP Sensor Open/Low EFI code

So my bike is still sputtering every now and then. It's really getting on my nerves. Today it was especially bad a couple times to the point where the check engine light came on for about 10 seconds two different times. I checked for codes when I got home and it threw P0122 TP Sensor Open/Low EFI. That's the only code showing. What should I do now. Is there a part that needs to be replaced?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Prospect

Hi nkauf21,
I have heard that the throttle stop screw, can come loose or even drop out.
Its used to set the TP sensor voltage, you may be able to read this voltage in your PC3 when you calibrate the TPS.and can use this readingif you have to set it up again.
A low TP volt will give your error code.
Its located on the throttle body and is I think is a 15 torq.
You will have to take the air filter assembly off to reset it.
Hope this helps,
Let me know how you get on.
Jeff
2010 Wide Glide. Vance & Hines BSS, Screaming Eagle heavy breather, PCV with Auto tune, Screaming eagle orange plug leads , HD finned derby cover, Black Fatbob drag bars, HD vintage grips, Mirror extension kit, smoked indicator lenses, Front indicators relocated, Custom cut corbin seat, Oberon levers, HD 5 3/4 billet headlight, Front fender extender, Horn relocated, HD quick detachable luggage rack, Gremlin bell.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Banned

Remove the A/C assembly start the bike and wiggle the TPS connector to see if you get any hiccups. Unplug the TPS and inspect the connector/wires for damage or corrosion, etc. Check the resistance between the terminal 1 and 3 on the TPS with an analog meter while you slowly rotate the throttle to check for a glitch in the switch. You can use a dvom, but be careful it is not auto ranging.
CB
Old 08-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quick update, I haven't actually checked anything yet. I cleared the code and went out for a quick test ride to see if I could get it to throw a code again. It did, it started sputtering pretty bad at around 75 mph in 5th and 6th. In both gears it also had pretty weak throttle response. It gets progressively worse the higher the RPM's get. Not sure exactly since I don't have a tach but just from feel I can tell a difference. It will mildly sputter occasionally at lower RPM at all speeds but not to the point of throwing a check engine light. When the light comes on it's at the higher RPM's and it's sputtering pretty bad at the point.

I'm curious if my PCIII is having anything to do with this? I was thinking of taking off to see but I think it will run bad that way due to pipes and a/c anyways.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkauf21 View Post
Quick update, I haven't actually checked anything yet. I cleared the code and went out for a quick test ride to see if I could get it to throw a code again. It did, it started sputtering pretty bad at around 75 mph in 5th and 6th. In both gears it also had pretty weak throttle response. It gets progressively worse the higher the RPM's get. Not sure exactly since I don't have a tach but just from feel I can tell a difference. It will mildly sputter occasionally at lower RPM at all speeds but not to the point of throwing a check engine light. When the light comes on it's at the higher RPM's and it's sputtering pretty bad at the point.

I'm curious if my PCIII is having anything to do with this? I was thinking of taking off to see but I think it will run bad that way due to pipes and a/c anyways.
Did it throw the same code?
Old 08-15-2010, 02:05 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbz1200n View Post
Did it throw the same code?
Yes it did.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:41 AM
Road Captain
Send a message via Skype™ to ==ShaDoW==

You have heard of google right?

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/electr...translate.html

http://harleyzone.tenmagazines.com/e...c.asp?id=68881

http://www.ghconline.net/index.php?m...t01returnid=61

======HIRED GUN FROM DOWN UNDER======
shadow@worldshadow.com

Last edited by ==ShaDoW==; 08-15-2010 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 08-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

I do know how, I spent a couple hours last night reading and researching all the info I could find. Just looking to see if anyone else has some knowledge on this subject. Thanks for the help though.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Senior Rider

the speedo doesn't always show all the codes.
what's in there for historic codes?
to really properly diagnose this problem you need a breakout box.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Elite HDF Member

Sensors have been known to fail ... if the throttle position sensor is not registering the correct info to the ECM, the computer won't know the amount of fuel to send to the injectors ... it all makes sense to me ....

Don't know how much the TPS sensor is; but, I replaced my crank position sensor (with only 27,000 mi) for $57 and installed it myself ....

R/
'Chop

'05 FXDI Super Glide
-Screamin Eagle 95", SE MCR Performance Heads, Andrews TW37B Cams
-Dennis Goodson Air Cleaner, Paughco Exhaust, ThunderMax w/ Auto Tune
-FLST Front End, Race Tech Springs and Gold Valve
-BDL Enclosed Belt Drive, FLST Floorboards
Old 08-15-2010, 01:32 PM

P

Tags
code, codes, connector, efi, fuel, harley, injected, low, open, p0122, rpm, sale, sensor, sensor04, sensoropen, sputtering, tp, tps