Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Wide Glide & 2011 Fat Boy Lo (really long read)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 02:16 AM
Immigrant
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Wide Glide help (really long read)

Hello folks i'm Daniel and i'm new to this forum , tho i have been reading this very forum for awhile now.

a little bit about myself:
Immigrant because i'm born in Brazil , i'm an American citizen/naturalized now with 10 years of America (sep 2000 - sep 2010)
I'm 6'1 - 190/200lbs 29 years old
Wife is +/- 5'10 130/140lbs

I been riding sportbikes for awhile now , got into a different segment of the sport becoming a track/race enthusiast (track day rider) also canyon riding , the plan was racing , but #1 even amateur racing is just too much money #2 not sure if i want my life/body on the line for a plastic trophy & #3 my lower back has been acting up more and more do to my job , so a cruiser really started to be more and more appealing to me also for quite sometime now I'd started to get into something else as far motorcycling goes I'd start to get interested into longer rides , enjoy a different aspect of motorcycling all together. I just recently moved to Arizona from Southern California , and for about 4 months now i haven't touched my bike yet , sold my track bike last year as well and kept my then dream bike (2009 Yamaha R1) , but Arizona is oceans away from what i had access in SoCal weather is a HUGE off when considering wearing full leathers etc etc's plus there is a lack of track compared to SoCal , i could keep talking about this for hours but the end of the line is = i think is time to move on!

back to the point

months before i took the WD for a ride i did try the Night Rod Special and a Fat Bob , the Fat Bob despite being a good motorcycle didn't really "trigger" me (if you guys know what i mean) the Night Rod was the one i really liked at first but after a few miles on it i could really see that wouldn't really work for me and my wife as far a 2up "fun", after all it seams like i was looking for something like a Night Train witch has been always my dream Harley , but i never really had a real chance of having one while it was in production , that when i discovered the Wide Glide

The 2010 Wide Glide really impressed me last year when i took for a test ride it was the my first time ever i took a HD for a ride with a passenger , i had my wife on the back of bike and right away i was doing figure 8 or 0 translating = FANTASTIC handling motorcycle PERIOD!

tho at the time for the reason the dealer showed absolutely no interest either on my business or my trade or to convert me into a cruiser rider , end I up letting it go , witch kinda bugs me now because i REALLY liked the 2010 Flame paint theme ... anyways

so last weekend i was lucky enough to have the local dealer putting a weekend long of demo rides (Chandler HD) and i had a blast ! got to try everything i wanted too the new 48 , Street Bob , V-Rod Muscle , Fat Boy Lo , Wide Glide , Nightster pretty much the ones i was considering buying.

So it came down to 3 bikes really , should of been 4 but i encountered the same verdict for the Muscle as the Night Rod Special , the top 3 was

2011 Sportster 48
great motorcycle , the cool factor on this bike is amazing , i'm not really sure why some folks complain about the power on the 1200cc motor because at one point i honestly believed i could power wheelie that bike , i think many complain - but many don't open the throttle wide open like i did! , tho a 2 gallon fuel tank and the size of the bike , there is no way it would work for me on the longer run or 2up , to me the new 48 got to be one of the best Sportster segment ever build , a fantastic Urban motorcycle.BUT is out of my list now

2011 Fat Boy Lo
Since the moment i left the parking lot for a 7 mile demo ride, my goodness! i was screaming on the highway from excitement was really cool i probably looked really stupid with the size of the smile i had on my face , i was really under the impression i have found the perfect motorcycle , the presence of the Fat Boy Lo is amazing! what a cool looking motorcycle i loved the color (Black Denim) looks amazing , the comfort was superb in OEM status for me , it was a motorcycle that i have always tough it would handle like a fat pig BUT once i rode that bike , everything that i tough the Fat Boy Lo would do , did it 10x better , i'd would think the Fat Boy Lo would fit a passenger in total comfort so right away it became my top pick from what i been trying so far , tho the power was super smooth the grunt didn't really blow me away and there is nothing i would call "sporty" on this thing lol

2011 Wide Glide
Like i said before this bike has been rocking me for some time now , i won't lie , i really wished they kept the Black tank with flames , despite the orange with black flames is absolutely beautiful , myself i like less shine.Based on my back ground of track and canyon riding 150+ wheel HP bikes , the power delivery on the WD is quite good and it looks per say "sporty" something on that bike screams YOUNG (in my eyes) and at 29 yrs old that isn't a deal maker but it looks even more appealing on top of what already is to me.

So all an all i been negotiating with the dealer for a few days now , and i'm really impressed so far how willing they are working with me , has been so far sort of roller coaster for me as well , because i have never came across the possibility to spend this much money for a motorcycle of any kind , besides the money , i have been struggling accepting the fact that BOTH cost more and the Low Boy Lo cost more of the 2 i'm narrowed down to.

At this point despite i was fighting my heart out for a Fat Boy Lo at the dealer , slowly i'm accepting that is just too much for me right now as far money goes , the WD is almost $50 cheaper per month and i have the idea that i could get even a better deal on the WD since they have in stock , the FB Lo would have to be a "locator" kinda thing (not in stock) , tho the Vivid Black solid wasn't really my first pick for color but the way things a shaping up it might be the one they are willing to go the distance as far negotiation goes.

Despite the fear of being really uncomfortable on the longer run or my wife's uncomfort , fear of my lower back start to hurt from the riding position ( i did notice a small sort of "arch" on my spine when simulating a "relaxed" riding regardless all these BIG factors i went to the dealer today , and i completely ignored any other motorcycle , i went there to remember myself why i was putting down the WD at the sales manager office yesterday , and after 2 hours of looking and going back thru memories , there isn't a single reason why i don't like the WD besides my fears that i listed above.

I want a bike that handles well , a bike that provides me enough feedback to put 'her" where i want on the road

I want a bike that i can use for trips (AZ to CA) and also take for as far as Oregon , pretty much i want a bike that i can go some distance solo or 2up , and i'm aware that the WD isn't a Road King and i'm aware that for sure i would need to buy a proper passenger seat , but does anyone ride the WD's for longer rides ? how to they do/go ? 2up safe ?

Based on what i said is the WD Glide the bike for me ? or is the Fat Boy Lo the bike for me ?

I don't expect to take a decision based on the forum's point of view but it would mean a lot to me to hear from owners and folks with some "HD experience" witch i have NONE.

and above all a point of view from someone that doesn't work for the dealership really matters to me.

by now i would assume you are a true HD fan for taking the time to read all this , and from my heart i would like to Thank You in advance for your help and input.

Thanks

Last edited by Immigrant; 10-07-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:02 AM
turbostang
Cruiser

I also test rode some bikes out at Chandler last weekend! I was all set on picking up another Street Bob now that the insurance co finally paid off the old one, but headed out there to try the other Dynas. And it appeased the wife; she wasn't too sure about me going and buying another bike before I tried riding again. Tried the WG first, and it was ok, but an hour later, and after a hot dog and hamburger, I rode the Fat Bob, and that put a big 'ol smile on my face. I think that is the best handling Dyna. I hate the rear fender, but that's easily corrected.

I sat on the Fat Boy Lo, but didn't ride it. Never really felt like I connected with it.

As far as long rides, and 2-up, I've always heard the Dyna family is more comfortable than the Softails. We've found them decently comfortable. I'm sure other can chime in on their comfort.

There's another demo truck out this weekend, at Arrowhead Harley. I have to work, or I'd be there too. They're the dealer I go through for everything. You might come back, with a better idea of what you want, and try and narrow it down better.

T.J.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:13 AM
Immigrant
Intermediate

Originally Posted by turbostang
I also test rode some bikes out at Chandler last weekend! I was all set on picking up another Street Bob now that the insurance co finally paid off the old one, but headed out there to try the other Dynas. And it appeased the wife; she wasn't too sure about me going and buying another bike before I tried riding again. Tried the WG first, and it was ok, but an hour later, and after a hot dog and hamburger, I rode the Fat Bob, and that put a big 'ol smile on my face. I think that is the best handling Dyna. I hate the rear fender, but that's easily corrected.

I sat on the Fat Boy Lo, but didn't ride it. Never really felt like I connected with it.

As far as long rides, and 2-up, I've always heard the Dyna family is more comfortable than the Softails. We've found them decently comfortable. I'm sure other can chime in on their comfort.

There's another demo truck out this weekend, at Arrowhead Harley. I have to work, or I'd be there too. They're the dealer I go through for everything. You might come back, with a better idea of what you want, and try and narrow it down better.

T.J.
as right now i have narrow down to the WD and the FB Lo

thanks T.J for the heads up on the demo ride , helps a lot because i have NO idea regarding HD motorcycles besides what i had experienced so far.

Glad to hear you are considering another bike , myself i crashed as well and i got a total loss , i know what is like.

take care

Daniel

Old 10-07-2010, 05:48 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Immigrant
Hello folks i'm Daniel and i'm new to this forum ,
by now i would assume you are a true HD fan for taking the time to read all this , and from my heart i would like to Thank You in advance for your help and input.

Thanks

Welcome.................Yes I read the whole thing
Go with what moves you..............

Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 AM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Immigrant Welcome
I also read your whole post and if you have the ability why not try and rent the wide glide
for a weekend or a day or two and see if it is the way you should go. If the dealer is working with you maybe get them to work the rental costs as part of a discount towards the bike you go with.
Carl

Old 10-07-2010, 07:18 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like you really dig the Fat Boy Lo

Ask yourself this:
If you buy the wg are you going to be wishing you had the fb low

Options:
1. Save for a down payment on fb to lower monthly costs
2. Buy it now and pay $50.00 more a month.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:52 AM
88iroc
Novice

ive had a 2010 wide glide for 5 weeks now with 1873 miles so far also coming off a sport bike my wife and i love it! we did upgrade the rear seat though

Old 10-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Dez Perado
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

... i really wished they kept the Black tank with flames ...
The 2011 Wide Glide is available in vivid black with flames.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior

Well, I say buy what you really love, whichever bike that would be.

I too think the 48 is a fantastic bike. . .wish I could afford one just for round the town riding. The Fat Bob connected with me three years ago, it was what I REALLY wanted, I got it, and I've just bonded with it more and more. It's great for two up, for round town, for long distance. (I think the same would be true for the Wide Glide). I made the right choice for me. Just be sure you make the right choice for YOU, the one that you really want. You can swing that, you'll do it because it brings you joy.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:54 AM
cramil
Tourer

Originally Posted by Immigrant
i probably looked really stupid with the size of the smile i had on my face
This is a very common ailment among Harley riders. Be aware there is no known cure.

Quick Reply: 2011 Wide Glide & 2011 Fat Boy Lo (really long read)