Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reflectors and safety inspections in VA

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 02:28 PM
NeverEnoughToys
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reflectors and safety inspections in VA

Not sure about rest of world, but there is a DOT regulation stating that the reflectors have to be on the motorcycle. I don't see anything in my searches on Virginia safety inspections that require them.

Anyone had any issues with passing a safety inspection in Virginia without side reflectors?

Old 01-06-2011, 03:53 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No idea about passing inspection in Virgina, but here in NY it's pretty much a non-issue.

It sounds like you're asking because you want to pull the reflectors off. If that's the case, I suppose you could remove them, and if need be, tack them back on temporarily with some two sided tape for inspection purposes, then take them off again once you pass.

Originally Posted by NeverEnoughToys
Not sure about rest of world, but there is a DOT regulation stating that the reflectors have to be on the motorcycle. I don't see anything in my searches on Virginia safety inspections that require them.

Anyone had any issues with passing a safety inspection in Virginia without side reflectors?

Old 01-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts

Mine doesn't have them and I live in Va. No problems passing for me.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:19 PM
daBreeze
Tourer

No problems here either- first thing i did was remove them

Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 PM
truthfire
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't have any problems either...

Old 01-06-2011, 06:51 PM
A1ACruiser
Tourer

My major concern is when the little old lady hits me broadside stating she did not see me. Her insurance company is not going to cover my hospital bills or repair the damage done to the motorcycle because I removed the safety reflectors. Just my .2

Last edited by A1ACruiser; 01-06-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:28 PM
A1ACruiser
Tourer

Yamaha is having to recall more than 50,000 2010 Yamaha YZF-R6 motorcycles: The front reflector on the base of each fork leg is in the wrong position, according to government standards.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Association announced the recall of the motorcycles, produced from August 2005 to March 2010. The reports states that the “motorcycle’s front side reflector was not placed at the proper height which fails to comply with the requirements of federal motor vehicle safety standard No. 108: Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.”

Because the reflector is not in the correct position, the NHTSA asserts that the motorcycles are less visible. The mistake could increase the possibility of collisions. Yamaha knows that the incorrect positioning of the reflectors could expose them to liability in certain crashes where a correctly positioned reflector could have provided more warning and the potential to avoid the collision.

< 571.107 571.109 >

Subpart B—Motor Carrier Vehicle Safety Standards

§571.108 Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

S1. Scope. This standard specifies requirements for original and replacement lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

S2.Purpose. The purpose of this standard is to reduce traffic accidents and deaths and injuries resulting from traffic accidents, by providing adequate illumination of the roadway, and by enhancing the conspicuity of motor vehicles on the public roads so that their presence is perceived and their signals understood, both in daylight and in darkness or other conditions of reduced visibility.

S3. Application. This standard applies to:

(a) Passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses, trailers (except pole trailers and trailer converter dollies), and motorcycles;

(b) Retroreflective sheeting and reflex reflectors manufactured to conform to S5.7 of this standard; and

(c) Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment for replacement of like equipment on vehicles to which this standard applies.

Attached Thumbnails Reflectors and safety inspections in VA-yamaha-yzf-r61-300x225.jpg  

Last edited by A1ACruiser; 01-06-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:56 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

My limited experience with these inspections seem to be that they really only cared about my tire tread depth, brake pads, fluid leaks and all the lights working. Get those right and they will pass about anything.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:59 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

It is a wonder there is a single motorcycle over 15 years old in existence ... I would have thought they would have all been broadsided by little old ladies who can't see them for the misplaced reflectors .... Will miracles never cease ...?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 PM
AngelaS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
It is a wonder there is a single motorcycle over 15 years old in existence ... I would have thought they would have all been broadsided by little old ladies who can't see them for the misplaced reflectors .... Will miracles never cease ...?
Nobody ever said that missing reflectors would be the biggest reason why you get hit. Any increase in visibility, however small, seems beneficial in my opinion.

I would also be more worried about parking my bike at night, I feel like reflectors wouldn't really help me while I'm actually riding it. When you roll down a street with no streetlights, usually one of the most obvious things you see are all of the car and bike reflectors shining your beam back at you.

Quick Reply: Reflectors and safety inspections in VA