Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police bags on a FXDL 09'

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:04 AM
extsieg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police bags on a FXDL 09'

I ordered a set of FXDP bags off of ebay and now that I did that I'm considering ways to mount the bags.

I have three mounting point problems that will have to be addressed:

1. Is the upper shock mounting bolt going to have enough thread on it to allow me just just slide the top mounting point over the bolt and screw the nut back on.

2. The lower rack mounting point goes to the back foot peg on 04 and earlier models. Problem I have now is that on my 09' the passenger peg is mounted to the swing arm which is a no go as it creates a hard link between two moveable points. Which would just snap the rack at the first big bump.

3. The rear fender mounting bracket is for a 130 tire and I have 160 fenders. So I'm thinking I can cut this bracket in half and have someone weld a spanner and see if that works..

Of course there is always the "easy brackets" similar products but that would cut down on carry weight with out putting some sort of internal frame on the inside of the bag.

Has anyone put these bags on a bike newer than a 04'?

Old 01-16-2011, 11:08 AM
n0code
Tourer

Not me personally. But the service writer at LA Harley has them on his street bob.

Iirc he didn't attach them to his shock bolts.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:27 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default +

Some of the guys have used the EZ brackets. WideGlydBry did a nice job on his.

My '09 is also getting '09 police bags. But I am making my own mounts integral w/ mount for modified vintage Tour-Pak and '09 Street Glide rear fender/lights/license plate bracket. When mounted behind the shocks on a Dyna, these bags completely block side visibility of all lights. So I've chosen to move them aft through the use of the modified touring fender.

These bags are just molded plastic, and are designed to be supported from the bottom, as they are on all the touring bikes. Fasteners through the top 2 rubber grommets are intended to only prevent them from tipping, not take the entire load. So it would be wise to reinforce this area, if you plan on just hanging the bags by these upper holes.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:49 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Glenn,

Here's how the saddlebag guards mount to the frame of my FXD 2003:

R/H side is a welding tab on the frame tube; you could use a U-bolt around the frame tube to create a mounting tab like this one:

L/H side is a passenger footrest mounting bracket that is secured by a bolt at the lowest part of frame.

You could check if your frame has the same mounting option. Those passenger mountings sometimes show up at Ebay....

Edit:

Several auctions right now (Jan. 16-2011):

auction 1

auction 2

auction 3

auction 4

This is not the one to buy (standard FXD an not FXDP); notice the difference!

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 01-17-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:29 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Rene - great post ... as usual ....

Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 AM
extsieg
Cruiser

Thanks!; this gives me some ideas. On the left hand side I don't have the large holes in the frame to accept the older style foot peg mount but there is a large flat surface where the hole is located on the older frames. I think I could have that peg welded onto that area and not hurt anything. The down side is that I would have a permanent set of bags now are at the least a piece of metal sticking out the side of the bike when the bags are off.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:00 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Instead of welding something to your frame, how about this idea ... get a rod with threaded ends and use two 'u' bolts to connect it just behind your frame above the swingarm and just below the fender ...

The rod would be the same length as the space needed to support the saddlebag bracket ... then double-nut where the bracket bolts on to support it ....

Yellow arrow shows proposed location ... I suppose you could also mount it forward of the frame down tubes behind the starter if it would fit there ....

Just saw another thread on an A/C cover and riser clamp made by forum member 'lonerindustries' ... another option might be to have some custom bolt-on 'stand-offs' made by him that would support the saddlebag frame ... they could bolt to the frame downtubes and have offset or 'dog-leg' as needed to meet up where the saddlebag frame needs the front support ... another thought that occurred to me ....

R/
'Chop

[added a couple of diagrams showing my idea]

Attached Thumbnails Police bags on a FXDL 09'-1f6d86cc.jpg   Police bags on a FXDL 09'-d8522af8.jpg  

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 01-17-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:14 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Rene - great post ... as usual ....

Thanks, Todd...much appreciated!

Originally Posted by extsieg
1. Is the upper shock mounting bolt going to have enough thread on it to allow me just just slide the top mounting point over the bolt and screw the nut back on.
Glenn,
Some images for you to get a "look and feel" on the mounting points at the fender and the upper shock mount stud (p/n 54557-90A, stock on FXDP & FXD 2003):

The nuts I use (stock on FXDP): p/n 7824, LOCKNUT, 1/2-20 X 1/4 hex. (Grade 2 steel):

2. The lower rack mounting point goes to the back foot peg on 04 and earlier models. Problem I have now is that on my 09' the passenger peg is mounted to the swing arm which is a no go as it creates a hard link between two moveable points. Which would just snap the rack at the first big bump.
Personally I would go for a bolt on/off option for both sides using U-bolts on the r/h side to mount a stand-off.

For the l/h side I would try to bolt an L-shaped stand-off to the plates where the 2003 bracket is fitted:

3. The rear fender mounting bracket is for a 130 tire and I have 160 fenders. So I'm thinking I can cut this bracket in half and have someone weld a spanner and see if that works..
If there's no bracket with the set, you could make one out off a metal plate.

To copy the contour of the fender you could use a tool like this (don't know the English word for it )

Old 01-17-2011, 02:17 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

rene you're a machine!

Old 01-17-2011, 02:28 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry
rene you're a machine!
Thanks, Bry

Now let's hope Glenn get's it working.....

Quick Reply: Police bags on a FXDL 09'