Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the big change for 2011

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 07:24 AM
needlevictim
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the big change for 2011

its been a while since ive posted here. but the project i attempted was fitting a heritage rear fender onto my lowrider, it didnt work out and i decided against it, but ive got a taste for it again and decided im going to widen it by adding a piece of steel in between. the only thing im thinking is that it doesnt hit the tyre, its wide enough to cover it, but not wide enough to meet the struts. so i might add longer strut bolts and put spacers in between the strut and fender.

anyway the reason im posting now is to keep track of a long list of mods i intend to do pretty much in one go as the harley is my daily driver and the only vehicle i own, which means i cant afford to have it off the road for a long amount of time.

the list goes like so:-

4.5" black headlight

16" santee black apes

new zero risers and clamp

black exhaust wrap and silicant spray sealer

attempt a homemade copy of the lapera barebones

burly slammer rear shocks in black

remove the rear fender strut covers

mount mirrors under the bars

relocate front turn signals to forks

shorten stem on rear turn signals

homemade side mount plate with replica vintage miller stop light

smoothed heritage full rear fender

repair chrome thats flaking off on cylinder head (sand and paint black
stripe round heads affected area)

strip wheels and have them powdercoated creamy white then attempt to rebuild them myself

make bags that mount under the seat, and flap down onto each side covering the battery cover, and the electrics box. (ill make these out of neoprene and put a dickies badge on each side cos i love dickies stuff, or maybe transformers badge cos theyre awesome too)

i think thats it, although it feels like ive spent so much more on the parts ive ordered lol. still waiting to recieve most of them but as i do ill post pics and use this thread as a progress diary and writeup.

it should look like a whole different bike when its done.

I should also mention the main inspiration for me doing these mods have got to be robbie13 and story808 .

im keepin the whole theme of colour satin black (bars headlight tank fenders, exhaust wrap, seatbags) , gloss black (struts, fork lowers, frame etc), chrome, (motor, horn cover, breather cover, spokes) and creamy white (rims and hubs)

Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

My buddy used spacers to mount a fatboy fender on his lowrider. It was the only part of the build I didn't like.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:26 PM
needlevictim
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shaved Ice
My buddy used spacers to mount a fatboy fender on his lowrider. It was the only part of the build I didn't like.

did he leave the chrome strut covers on, i cud imagine it lookin crappy like that, but the actual struts themselves shud look good nakes, cos they have rounded edges, n if i use black spacers itll look kinda like a scaffold or girder holdin the fender up.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:38 PM
needlevictim
Advanced

pics as prmised

Attached Thumbnails the big change for 2011-dscf1552.jpg   the big change for 2011-dscf1555.jpg  
Old 01-17-2011, 02:57 PM
MacBean
Cruiser

thats going to look awsome. i love the full wrap fender. ive been wanting to do it to my WG

Old 01-19-2011, 12:32 PM
needlevictim
Advanced

well today i got off work at 12:45 so i decided to pick a few things up from the store on the way home and make a start on the solo seat.
i bought a fibreglass kit and a cheap kids "high school musical" fleece blanket.

anyway heres the pics, bear in mind im ultimately trying to recreate the le pera barebones / silhouette, at a fraction of the cost, mainly because im a cheapskate

ok i started by layin down a piece of black cellothane over the frame and tank to protect it from the resin.
then i stretched out the fleece blanket and taped it on all the corners so it would form the shape of the seat pan. then i started to paint on resin , covering the area id need to go hard.

i layed down fibreglass strips (about 3 layers in total) and painted more resin on after each one.

then 45 mins later its set and ready to trim. after making a carefully measured out template with paper, i traced it onto the fibreglass sheet that was now dry. i used a combo of cutting with scissors, little by little, and using a hacksaw.

once done, i copied the shape onto some old carpet that was leftover from covering the stairs in my house, and glued it to the bottom of the pan using silicone adhesive. then i taped round the edges with duct tape.

also i cut in the hole where ill attach the bottom metal catch that secures the seat to the frame.

next up i need to find some good hard foam and somethick black vinyl and trim it. ill update when i can

Attached Thumbnails the big change for 2011-1.jpg   the big change for 2011-2.jpg   the big change for 2011-3.jpg   the big change for 2011-4.jpg   the big change for 2011-5.jpg  

Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 AM
needlevictim
Advanced

well more parts have arrived, im sat here waiting for parcelforce to deliver my burly slammers, i had to pay customs charges as i ordered them from the USA and they were promised for delivery to me today, been waiting all morning.
anyway upto now ive got a few more parts. some zero risers and a clamp from ebay, think theyre from a sportster but theyre the right size anyway so who cares. also got my vintage miller stop lamp, not sure how ill wire this up yet as it only has 2 inputs, and doesnt look very waterproof, gonna have to find some rubber sheath to go over the electrical connectors.
also started some majr work on the rear fender. my idea was to use spacers in between the struts and fender wall, but this would have meant the risk of contact with the tyre, so i bolted the fender up and spannered it up as tight as it would go, and lo and behold it stretched to meet the struts just perfect, after hitting it with the hammer a few times at the bottom, the rear spayed out enough aswell for clearance.
bfore this however i had to drill new mounting holes as the current ones brought the fender to nowhere near the seat position for the rear fixing.
ive just covered the unwanted holes with fibreglass backing and ive fillered them at the front. next step is to make a fibreglass extension for the front as it doesnt come down as far as the dyna one.
ive heard people put a little bag over the gap instead, but i dont like that idea too much.
ive also polished up the rims with some autosol metal polish and some very fine wire wool, so im not sure now whether to powdercoat the rims and spokes like planned, or just keep the chrome and maybe go for some whitewall tyres.

heres a few pics.

Attached Thumbnails the big change for 2011-dscf1599.jpg   the big change for 2011-dscf1600.jpg   the big change for 2011-dscf1601.jpg   the big change for 2011-dscf1602.jpg   the big change for 2011-dscf1603.jpg  

Old 01-28-2011, 08:33 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

if you're going to cut and weld the fender to add material to widen it, why not just widen it to the exact specs you'll need to get it flush up with the fender struts?

my bad, posted after reading your original post, now i see you got the fender to work.

cool build, keep us posted

Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Speedhitter
Cruiser

Can't wait to see that fender on! Nice job with the pics! Love doing my own work as well!

Old 01-29-2011, 04:22 AM
needlevictim
Advanced

i polished up the rest of the rims and spokes and they look awesome now. also noticed some rusting under the headstock on the frame, so im gona treat that with curust and touchj it up with some black hammerite when i can get round to it. the rear fenders all back together and on now as im using the bike as my daily driver and in work this weekend.

the new fender is all set and needs sanding and painting now. and ill fab a fibreglass extension for the front next week.
my shocks finally arrived and ill fit those when i take the strut covers off and fit the new fender.

my brake light is not working for some reason now, think i may have pinched a wire when i put the tail light unit back on.

i still need some advice on how to paint the chrome turn signals, i want them to have a good glossy black finish so im apprehensive about sanding them with too coarse a grit incase is ruins the finish, but also want to buy enough grip for the paint to stick to.

any advise is appreciated

Quick Reply: the big change for 2011