Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Wide Glide V&H Big Shots Staggered and O2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:44 AM
JimK911
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Wide Glide V&H Big Shots Staggered and O2 sensors?

I plan on swapping out the stock pipes on a 2011 Wide glide with Vance and Hines Big Shots Staggered. I'm brand new to Harleys and this forum and have searched quite a bit these past couple of weeks concerning changing out exhausts and installing PCIIIs and/or Fuelpaks.

The one thing I've read a lot is that the Fuelpak ignores the O2 sensors, put the PCs don't and the PCs are definitely more flexible. So I have a few questions.

1. When the stock exhaust comes off and the Big Shots go on, do the stock O2 sensors get installed on the Big Shots?
2. Are the O2 sensors flat out ignored then if one installs the Fuelpak - rendering them useless? If so, how does that effect performance - or is it a non-issue?
3. I'm leaning toward the Power Commander, so maybe there isn't an O2 sensor issue anymore?

Sorry for no photos (I hear that is a "must" for folks on this forum :-) but I won't have my new WG for a couple more weeks.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:31 AM
bcmiles
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking into new pipes and fuel management, contact Fuel Moto; they are a site sponsor. They can give you a great deal for what your looking for .thats where I got my stuff. If you are adding exhaust and fuel management, you'll probably want to add new intake.

When you add fuel manager to your system, the O2 sensors aren't really necessary anymore. I'm sure someone on here or Jaime at FM can explain the physics of it. When I recieved my setup from FM, the O2 senors weren't utilized. The package came with plugs for the exhaust ports and caps for the O2 sensors.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:57 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JimK911
I plan on swapping out the stock pipes on a 2011 Wide glide with Vance and Hines Big Shots Staggered. I'm brand new to Harleys and this forum and have searched quite a bit these past couple of weeks concerning changing out exhausts and installing PCIIIs and/or Fuelpaks.

The one thing I've read a lot is that the Fuelpak ignores the O2 sensors, put the PCs don't and the PCs are definitely more flexible. So I have a few questions.
Questions.
1. When the stock exhaust comes off and the Big Shots go on, do the stock O2 sensors get installed on the Big Shots?

Yes, but if you're using the older PC III you have to disconnect them from the harness (under the seat for rear, and at the regulator cover for front). I did not know the newer PC does a closed loop.

2. Are the O2 sensors flat out ignored then if one installs the Fuelpak - rendering them useless? If so, how does that effect performance - or is it a non-issue?

I do not know but from what I've read and heard the Fuelpak is not a good option comparatively with what's available.

3. I'm leaning toward the Power Commander, so maybe there isn't an O2 sensor issue anymore?

Again if the newer PC runs a closed loop then that is correct.

I have the Big Shots Staggered. They came with the bike used. The previous owner had the older PC III and he did as said above. When I got the bike the dealer had taken the PC off (I know the previous owner) and the ECM reverted back to the (prior) stage 1 dealer SE download. The O2 sensors were reconnected at the harness Which is what I am running currently. Keep in mind the PC is a piggyback unit.

I did a lot of research on this some time back but due to funds spent on other things I have not yet purchased my choice which is the TTS Mastertune. I feel it gives the best option for what is provided and price. It runs a closed loop system and utiltizes the O2 sensors. You can also save your maps and experiement with it. It's not a piggyback but hooks to your ECM only during the save and download of maps. It will also allow timing changes.
(Edit... later added)
When you have a unit that utitizes the O2 sensors it is called a closed loop system. That gives it the possibilty of learning and making decisions as the engine runs. It still needs a base map set to start with.

The open loop systems that disconnect the O2 sensors depend totally of preloaded map setups for different rpm scenarios. They can not learn or make decisions based on as many items as the closed loop units.

Good luck with your decision. You do need some sort of ECM rich/lean compensator if you go with the pipes (PC-V, TTS or ThunderMax etc) to keep the running temp down on the bike. You really need increased air flow to go with the pipes with an SE air intake kit or one from someone else (Arlen Ness Big Sucker, K & N etc).

Additionally if you like the look of the big shots (like I do) then go with them. They will give you better top rpm HP but steal a bit of low end torque from you. Nothing real noticable unless you race with others.
If low end torgue is important then go with some of the 2 into 1 setups. They do a much better job on increased torque than the small Power Chamber of the Big Shots.

Last edited by R_W_B; 01-23-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: added more info later.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Rajin Cajun
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the python version of big shots and love them, sound great. first of all you wont be gettin PC3 u have to get PCV. with all version of PC3 new and old u disconnect o2 plugs and put in the 'eliminators'. don't get fuel pak b/c 1. not much cheaper than PC. 2. if you ever do other upgrades u can't with fuel pak. 3.better service @ fuel motto. 4. way better maps for PC and dont think you can dyno fuel pak u can PC and get dialed in perfect. yes put ur o2 sensors in new pipes so there out of the way. good luck on whatever choice u make and congrats on ur wide glide