Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal of chrome top cap on shock ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:02 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Removal of chrome top cap on shock ???

Is this possible.

Was planning on switching out my 12.5 shocks for 12.0 shocks.

I have a pair of 12 inch FXDB shocks and one of them has a gouge and a dent in the top cap. I have another set of 12.5 inch FXDC shocks and was wondering if I could switch caps? If it is possible how is it done?

Or if anyone has an extra 12 inch dyna shock available let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

Tom

Last edited by ZeroFiveFour; 02-28-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:08 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

ya man you will be fine there is a washer under there that is brass thought we usually just coat them black, but ya you can do it as long as you have that washer there

Old 03-01-2011, 07:19 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I had my shock stud mounts powdered black and tossed the whiskey cups in the proverbial trash. They will be up for sale soon along with all the rest of my stock 2010 street bob parts.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:26 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are referring to the top piece that covers up the top of the spring, then yes it is easy to remove. I just used my drill press to compress the spring and remove the keeper then the entire assembly comes apart.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:55 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
If you are referring to the top piece that covers up the top of the spring, then yes it is easy to remove. I just used my drill press to compress the spring and remove the keeper then the entire assembly comes apart.
Oh, he is talking about the caps on top/bottom of the coil spring? Do the shocks come apart easily and can they be run without both the top and bottom in place?

I think that would give the shocks a "minimal" look. If its easy, I will try and see how I like it.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:13 PM
JRK5892
Banned

they are not pretty without the caps, looks like you lost something.. i have a set of shocks all torn down i can take pics if you need me to to show you

Old 03-01-2011, 04:18 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior

I was thinking the Burly Slammer shock is basically 412 minus the lower cap and it looks alright. I wouldn't mind seeing that picture though anyway. It will save me the trouble of tearing it apart.

Thanks.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info guys.

Ghostrider mentioned that he used his drill press. I am assuming then that the shock needs to be compressed to allow for the washer to be twisted off. if this is the case I am just going to get another shock as I dont have access to a shop unfortunately. But thanks for the info. It's much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Tom

Old 03-01-2011, 06:34 PM
JRK5892
Banned

i have no idea how you would use a drill press but i am not saying it can not be done... my spring compressor compresses the shock then you can pull off the stay clip at the top and everyting else then just slides off

Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is hard to explain but I'll try. The procedure is done with the shock upside down. Open up the drill press vise so that the retainer on the top of the shock is inside the jaws of the vise and the top cover of the shock is setting on the jaws. With the chuck of the drill press setting down on the top of the bottom mounting eye of the shock, pull the drill press lever down like if you were drilling a hole through something. That will compress the spring and push the upper shock mount down through the vise jaws. At this point the retainer ring will be loose and can be removed with a pair of pliers or if you are feeling lucky you can use your fingers. I have used this procedure for years without any problems. One other thing, I always lay a rag on each vise jaw to keep from scratching the chrome on the upper spring cover. It actually works very well. I came across this method years ago when I needed to take a shock apart and did not have the right tool for the job but I did have a floor drill press.

Quick Reply: Removal of chrome top cap on shock ???