Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone using the sputhe positrac ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:34 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default anyone using the sputhe positrac ?

looking on some information on the sputhe model...yes i know true track is a sponsor....looking for anyone using the sputhe model........what was your review ?

Old 12-20-2008, 01:01 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

I have the Sputhe mounts on my '01 FXDXT, as well as their aluminum swingarm, Bridgestone radials (160/60R18 rear) and 418's on back...the bike handles really, really well but I made all the changes at the same time. No increase in vibes, even with a fairly hot 103 motor and it sure is stable 2-up or solo...don't know what else I can add.

Attached Thumbnails anyone using the sputhe positrac ?-driveway.jpg  
Old 12-20-2008, 02:24 PM
FASTFXD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sharkey,

Nice-looking bike!

How do the composite rotors work and where did you go for the Excel rims?

I'm looking for lighter-weight wheels for my 03 FXD and thinking I'll have to go with aluminum rims and lace them. Did you have to do anything special with teh spokes and how are they holding up?

I've got a JMC swingarm on order and wanted to do rims and brakes + stabilizers too... also need to lose a few lbs myself, but that's another battle. LOL!

Old 12-20-2008, 06:17 PM
0lowrider1
Road Master

thanks for the reply...was the install fairly easy ?....

Old 12-20-2008, 07:03 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

I took the bike down to the bare frame and split the cases...install was just part of the re-assembly...

The Lyndal rotors are outstanding; with the rotors, rims and swingarm my bike has lost at least 50+ pounds; all of it unsprung weight...the handling is quite, um, quick for a Dyna...

The rims and spokes came from Buchannans and are holding up well.

Thanks for the compliment.....

Old 12-21-2008, 03:43 PM
FASTFXD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke with Buchanan's and they said they could provide spokes that were fatter in the bend area and that they would be stronger. Was wondering if that's what you went with given you're running a 103.

I'm planning on going to 107" or 117" sometime in the not-too-distant future and don't want to be snapping spokes. Right now, motor's making 107/108 or so and running 11.6 in the 1/4. I've had no problems yet with stocker spokes, so guessing stronger ones should hold up to another 25 - 30 HP. Hoping anyway. Been looking for lightweight mags, but not finding any for HDs, unless I want to pop for carbon - and I don't.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:51 PM
luckyB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FYI... if you can get your hands on a Oct. 2008 issue of American Iron, they had a review of the Positrac with pics of the install on a Dyna. In short, they said it works.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:51 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,783 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by 0lowrider1
looking on some information on the sputhe model...yes i know true track is a sponsor....looking for anyone using the sputhe model........

what was your review ?

I am considering the Sputhe components in the near future.

As to a review, there is some info here from Alan Sputhe
(very interesting read for me. link below.....)

http://www.sputhe.com/aluminum%20swing%20arms.htm

Old 12-21-2008, 05:50 PM
0lowrider1
Road Master

Originally Posted by luckyB
FYI... if you can get your hands on a Oct. 2008 issue of American Iron, they had a review of the Positrac with pics of the install on a Dyna. In short, they said it works.
Yeah i got that issue....thats what made me ask about it......the sputhe seems to be more compact than the true track

Old 12-21-2008, 06:22 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

Well; I'm sure happy with the Sputhe stuff after two hard seasons...and quite a bit two-up, as well. My spokes are Buchannans heavy duty variety; that was an option when I ordered the rims...there was a checkup after a few hundred miles and they've all been tight since; no problems...I'm at 111hp/117tq...

I'm certain the Tru-Trac stuff is good, too; but I got my stuff over 2 years ago and considered it as a package from Sputhe. That is; I have their swingarm, too...and a work of art it is. I had it painted the same color as the rest of the bike (Dodge electric blue) when it was all apart; most people don't even recognize my bike as a Harley much less one with a buch of "extras"...strangely, though, last time anyone asked me about the brakes and swingarm etc it was a couple of Ducati riders who waited by my bike in a gas station parking lot on a twisty back road..."What've you got going on with this Harley? What kind of brakes are those? Is that a stock swingarm?"..etc etc. The bike is fantastic for cruising on 2nd - 3rd gear twisty roads...it's no crotch rocket; but 100ft lbs at 2200rpm is major grin factor.....

Quick Reply: anyone using the sputhe positrac ?