Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About Clutch Free Play Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 06:43 PM
hd_sob
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About Clutch Free Play Adjustment

There was way too much wiggle in my clutch lever, so, I followed the directions in the service manual (sorta), but even though it seems to have worked (no more slack), I don't have a good feeling about it. I pulled up the rubber bot that covers the clutch cable, loosened the lock nut that holds the adjustment nut (sorry, don't have the manual with me to use the proper terminology) in place and turned the adjustment nut to tighten up the slack...However when I did so, nothing really 'turned' but the entire cable, causing it to buckle...If I released the tension on the cable by removing the wrench from the adjustment nut, the cable mearly 'sprung' back into its oroginal position and original excess slack up at the lever. SO, I tightened/twisted the cable to take the slop out, then tightened the lock nut up against the adjustement nut so it couldn't spring back. Now there is no more loose lever, but it doesn't seem to me this is the way it should happen. Anyone play around with their clutch adjustments and know what I am missing in this concept?

THANKS!

Old 10-31-2006, 08:21 PM
ladodgerdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Question About Clutch Free Play Adjustment

I just adjusted my the other day. I think I remember loosening the lock nut then made the adjustments to the cable underneath the locking nut.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:30 PM
jimw411
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you back off the jam nut, you should be able to adjust it with your fingers, if you have to use a wrench then it might be a little seized, and you might want to spray it with wd40.
I tend to leave my clutch a little on the loose side, i leave about an 1/8 inch play in the lever, i like the feel of it being a little loose. Another thing i did reciently, was take apart the clutch lever perce and grease the pivot point of the level, and that made the clutch it more soft then it was when i bought it.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:46 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

It must be seized then, cuz there was no way it would turn with my fingers...Like I said, it wouldn't even turn with a damn wrench (just twisted the whole thing)...I'll have another look at it and consider the WD-40...

THANKS!

ps-According to the service manual, the spec is 1/16th to 1/8th inch, but mine was much looser than that..

Old 10-31-2006, 08:50 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 995 Likes on 326 Posts

if you really want to adjust the clutch, you run the cable out so you have much freeplay in the lever. Then take off the dirby cover and loosen the locknut (5/8) I think. Then with an allen wrench back out the throw out shaft, then slowly move it back in until you feel slight friction, then go another 1/4 turn. Tighten up lock nut, put on dirby cover and then adjust the clutch lever to about 1/8 of play.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:54 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

Yeah, something sounds amiss. I can adjust mine back and forth with my fingers.

King of redundancy,

Whiff

Old 10-31-2006, 09:10 PM
WgSkee
Road Captain

hd_sob.... Try this... This is in the DIY forum.. I've used it works well.. Later Skee

Here is an almost fool proof method for clutch adjustment. It takes the guesswork out of the "feel" for the adjuster.
Once you have opened up the derby cover and are ready to proceed...

1)Collapse the adjuster on the cable sleeve all the way.

2)Pull the lever against the bar and hold it there with slight force.

3)Turn the pushrod adjuster bolt in while holding the lever against the bar lightly until it starts to force the lever away for some distance. (Do this more than once to get the feel). While keeping light pressure on the lever back the adjuster bolt out just until the lever touches the bar again and then another little bit, about 1/2 turn , then lock it.

4)Adjust the cable freeplay at the lever for 1/16" free play.

You should be good to go .

Always adjust the clutch on a cold bike for best results.

**It's better to adjust the clutch so that it starts to grab at least an inch or more from the bar for complete disc separation, which translates into better/quieter shifting.Using this method, you can "feel" where the lever is going to grab with a little practice.

Buy yourself a cheap 11/16 deep well socket and weld a nut on top of it. This makes the perfect tool for the adjuster lock nut. You can then use an Allen wrench inside the socket and a wrench on the nut you have just welded on. Makes it a lot simpler.

You can also see "clutch adjustment by the book" in this same forum found... HERE

Old 10-31-2006, 10:52 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

Thanks to you and glebo for the suggestion on the 'actual' clutch adjustment, but I'm gonna leave that for the 5k mi service coming soon...In the meantime, I just wanted to tighten up the play in the lever...

STeve

Old 11-01-2006, 12:25 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ladodgerdog

I just adjusted my the other day. I think I remember loosening the lock nut then made the adjustments to the cable underneath the locking nut.
OK Guyz, help me out here:

Page 1-28 of the service manual sez 'turn cable adjuster away from jam nut until slack is eliminated at the hand lever'. The 'cable adjuster' is #2 in fig 1-24. This piece is ABOVE (toward handlebars) the 'jam nut' and, upon closer inspection, it is physically attached to the cable/sheath, so if I turn it, it can ONLY cause the cable to TWIST & BUCKLE. There is no mention of adjusting the nut BELOW the jam nut (as ladogerdog suggests), but it appears that perhaps his way is CORRECT and the manual is WRONG (wouldn't be the first time). It is also possible that I am misinterpreting the directions & drawing, so someone who is FAMILIAR with this procedure please advise what is the best/correct way to make this adjustment. Please also keep on mind that I am ONLY wanting to adjust the free play at the hand lever, NOT that actual clutch.

THANKS!!!

Old 11-01-2006, 01:14 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,785 Likes on 2,066 Posts

ORIGINAL: hd_sob

Page 1-28 of the service manual sez 'turn cable adjuster away from jam nut
until slack is eliminated at the hand lever'.
The 'cable adjuster' is #2 in fig 1-24.
sob, #4 in the picture is the part to turn.

dog told you right.

mud

Quick Reply: Question About Clutch Free Play Adjustment