Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Swap Without Jack

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Barz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel Swap Without Jack

So, since I wrecked the bike I need to swap to my 21" wheel but I no longer have my bike Jack. I moved in to an apartment and left the jack with my cousin who lives quite a ways away. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to lift this bad boy up and safely change wheels?

Old 06-16-2011, 07:58 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 06-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Barz
Cruiser

That's pretty badass

Old 06-17-2011, 01:40 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a pretty neat solution.

Or else you could use a car jack from the trunk of your or a neighbour's car. Best to put a bit of wood under the bike frame and raise the jack onto that.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:46 AM
pete62conv
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a normal handle type jack under the motor mount brace. Put the jack on the oposite side of the kickstand. When you jack it up it picks it up and the kickstand and rear tire do the supporting. Did it yesterday as a matter of fact.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:43 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a different approach. If you have access to a garage or someplace with a sturdy roof use straps to lift the front of the bike. 2-3 ratchet straps placed around the forks beneath the triple clamp should do it. A 1 inch strap is usually rated for 500 lbs. You only need to lift the front. If you line the bike up parallel to the trusses you can place one strap on each and it shouldn't be a problem supporting the load. Before I had a jack I used this method to lift the bike and it worked well.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:34 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd go with a car jack as well or even that homemade lift in the reply above. You don't need a lot of clearance to remove the wheel. You can loosen everything up on the ground then just lift the front a hair for complete disassembly.

You could get away with one of those newer style scissor lifts they put in cars now.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 06-17-2011 at 05:38 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Barz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
I'd go with a car jack as well or even that homemade lift in the reply above. You don't need a lot of clearance to remove the wheel. You can loosen everything up on the ground then just lift the front a hair for complete disassembly.

You could get away with one of those newer style scissor lifts they put in cars now.
Thanks guys. I grabbed my buddy's jack out of his toyota celica and it worked like a charm. Hell it was alot easier than using that damn craftsman bike jack I left behind. Tomorrow I just have to go get some brake fluid and install my new controls. Hopefully I will be back riding tomorrow.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Barz
Cruiser

Also I forgot how much better my bike looks with the 21" front. It's been a while since I swapped them. It looks swwwweeeet. Hahaha

Old 06-17-2011, 10:08 PM
odd_child4life@hotmail.com
Tourer

Originally Posted by p51bombay
that is just GENIUS!

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Swap Without Jack