Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike struggles to start/ Battery/cables

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:36 PM
dallasfan405
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike struggles to start/ Battery/cables

Hi all I got a 08 dyna superglide my bike seems like it really struggles to start the battery doesnt seem like its doing its job however I took it to the harley shop to put new parts on and they tested the battery they said it was fine. So I took it for a ride today to the store I came back out and the bike wouldnt even come on so I messed with the battery cables and then it fired up but it did it slowly so I came back home took the battery cover off and noticed that there were creeses in the battery wires from the wires placed in the wrong spot so I placed the wires where there supposed to be and turned it over and the bike fired right up no problem and I fired it up twice in a row with no problem. Im gonna go back out in the garage in about another hour or so to see if it fires right up again.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:15 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Glad you got it worked out for yourself. Too bad the "tech" who checked your battery didn't bother to check those wire-like thingys that are attached to it. Next trip to the garage check the ground cable at the frame just to be sure.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:52 PM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is funny that I ran across this post
Yesterday while at a shop visiting a friend, I go ready to go and the bick just clicked

I had not had any battery problems but I did notice that it was a little labored turning the starter over the first revolution. I just thought it was the new HID light draining more power on the initial button push

To make a long story short, both battery cables looked tight but both were loose

The negative went almost two complete turns ( I actually saw this arcing while trying to start)

I went ahead and checked the positive and it was almost a full turn loose but you could not tell by looking.

I tightened them up and have rode it all day today with no problems.

Also the labored start has gone away too
Don't miss something simple. I almost went ahead and replaced a perfectly good battery yesterday

Old 09-21-2011, 09:30 AM
lkohan7373
Cruiser

Same problem here. I actually put a new battery on and after riding a little bit had the same problem. The vibration keeps backing the cables out. No matter how tight I tighten still have the same problem. So I used a little loctite (blue not the red) and now the cables stay nice and snug. Also you could try a lock washer. There is just so much vibration because the battery box is rigid mounted to the frame. This was the way I fixed it. Oh did I mention I found out the hard way broke down twice on a long trip.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:53 AM
h2o
Road Captain

Same issue here. The funny thing withvme was I tightened everything on Sunday morning, took it circa ride and it worked fine. My buddy came over and put some dielectric grease on the connections. I tried to ride to work Monday morning and it wouldn't start. Go out to look over things Monday evening and we forgot to tighten the positive cable when we pit the grease on. Go figure.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Iskra
Tourer

same issue here with 2010 Street Bob ... Little loctite fixed

Old 09-28-2011, 11:24 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When you have these problems with battery connections it doesn't hurt to address all of them. Remove the negative terminal from the battery and use a wire brush and/or emery cloth on all of the contact surfaces. Do the same for the positive side and the other ends of the cables. Reattach them after applying a thin layer of dielectric grease to all the contact surfaces before reassembling. While you have the tube of dielectric grease handy, go ahead and apply some to the ECM and other vital connections.

I've had my bike do a momentary hesitation while riding that only happened for one instance, but it bothered me. I got home and checked the battery connections. The negative connection to the battery was loose, well it was tight to the wrench, but I could rotate the cable easlily by hand. Another turn or so tightened it up right. I'm always cautious of over tightening the bolts going into the soft lead of the battery and stripping the threads out, but I learned to at least make sure the cables are snug now.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:31 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

These connections seem to be the culprit in many of the woes people have with Harley's.

I can't imagine how many have paid for unnecessary repairs that turned out to be just loose main cables from the battery. Wonder how many mechanics "add-on" a lot of unneeded repairs, and tech time just to tighten down cables?

Old 09-29-2011, 11:07 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had the same problem in the past, used a dab of blue loctite and havent had problems since. also im a firm bliever in dielectic gel. but i just replaced my battery here last week. i did not buy a HD branded battery, i use only interstate batteries in cars, trucks, bikes, boats. i get a pretty heafty discount through the family business. plus the interstate battery does not have the threaded led to bolt to. the lead is a straight hole with a steel bolt behind it, this was i wont feel like im over tightening the bolt. oh and i alway use a 10mm socket and ratchet to install the battery cables.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:31 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the original battery ruined by a loose negative cable. It kept arcing and ended up melting the negative post. I blue loctited the next battery and no problems since.

Quick Reply: bike struggles to start/ Battery/cables