Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Fat Bob Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:15 PM
SUNNYSIDE
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Fat Bob Issues

Bought a brand new 09 Fat Bob (Vivid Black) in Aug. 08. Love the bike. Best Harley I've ever owned. Stage 1, Vance & Hines BSS, Heavy Breather, Sundowner Solo, and left everything else alone. Liked it just the way it came. Bought an extended warranty. I now have 26k logged on it.

The first issue it had was a front brake reservoir seal leak. Brake fluid leeched between metal and paint and bubbled the paint horribly. Got it replaced through the standard factory 2 year warranty. No problem.

Second issue was factory paint on rear fender started blistering badly around seat attachment hole.( It's now larger than a half dollar coin. )Front fender has similar paint issues even pealing off on the edges. My dealer took pictures and said they've never seen this before, but that warranty doesn't cover pain defects. So they had me fill out arbitration paperwork, but I'm not to optimistic about the outcome of that.

I just took it in to have new tires installed and the dealer spotted more bubbling at the top of my painted front forks. They checked it out and the seals are leaking on both forks. After the tires were installed and they test rode the bike, they then informed me that my front motor mount was shot, and the rear one was going and I don't abuse the bike in any way.

Anyone have any similar issues? I'm Bummed.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:43 PM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same bike but my bike only has 15k on it so far. I didn't get much riding in this season because I have a 7 month old son that take priority over the bike. I can say that I abuse my bike, I ride it like I stole it all day everyday. What paint do you have? denim?

Old 10-09-2011, 01:36 AM
SUNNYSIDE
Intermediate
Default 09 Fat Bob Issues

Vivid Black.

In all fairness I should have mentioned in my post that there was SOME good news. The extended warranty did cover the fork leakage seal replacement and the motor mounts so that saved me some dough and I don't normally buy extended warranties. Glad I did this time. But I also feel that the paint damage to the painted lower fork sleeves caused by the seal failures should also be remedied by MoCo as well. After all, none of these problems were due to owner negligence nor user related. You would really think that MoCo would cover the bike's paint work, if not in the factory 2 yr warranty, then at least within the extended warranty they offer you huh?

If MoCo blows me off my options are few and will be expensive. New "primered only" fenders are about $450 plus the added expense of having them painted (I haven't found out what MoCo wants for "painted" fenders yet but I'm sure it's high dollar). Lastly the cost of repairing the paint damage to the painted lower fork sleeves (or replacing them). Another option would be to take the fenders and fork sleeves to a paint shop and have them redone and that won't be cheap either.

I really like this bike. I've maintained it and kept it looking showroom clean because that's how I am. I certainly intended to keep it around for a long time. It's very frustrating to me to be left wondering "what's going to fail next?" And viewing with disgust what once "appeared to be" a great paint job is really a disappointment. This is an excellent motorcycle, and no one minds paying more for quality, (I certainly don't anyway) but when there's problems like these MoCo should make them go away with the same speed they employed depositing your check the day you bought the bike from them.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:58 PM
Brad Anderson
Stage IV
Default Rear brake light switch

I noticed a small leak near my rear master cylinder and at first I thought it must be the plunger, but I took a better look and it's coming from the rear brake switch. Has anyone else encountered this? The only part numbers I've been able to find dont seem to work 72023-51C and -51D. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:45 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,814 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Somebody might have responded to your querry 4 years ago when this thread was alive! Try posting a new one and see what happens! JS