Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar choices help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:35 PM
antman27
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebar choices help...

Hello all I know it is hard to suggest what will work best for comfort for someone else but I now have Carlini t drag bars 7.75 rise and 7" pullback .
I am 5.7 and arm length is 22" with these bars I am leaning a bit forward to reach and my right shoulder hurts after a short ride my right hand is going numb also (most say I grip to tight But I try and loosen and no change)
I would like to get new bars so I was More comfortable and more upright (not leaning into bars)
When I had my stock mini apes I had to pull them back so I was not reaching for them
What are your thoughts should I go lower and more pull back ?? Higher more pull back ?? I do like the T-bar
Carlini suggested the super sweeps 9 rise and 11.5 back
Wild 1 suggested http://www.wild1inc.com/560gb.html they are 5 up and 14 back

some pix of what I have now and my old apes that were pulled way back

Thanks for your thoughts
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by antman27; 12-16-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:13 PM
perryross
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your right it is a hard thing to do, so I can only give a few options I would try.
It sems like in your photos the new bars are now even further away from you.
The drag bar grip angle doesn’t look like a natural position, but you know that.

Anyway...
A HD reduced reach seat moves you forward.
Poly Bushings and kuryakyn ISO Grips, helpes reduce vibration.

Last edited by perryross; 12-16-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:22 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking buck horns.If your hand is going numb you don't want to go higher.A traditional set of buck horns will move the grips back and maybe have a more relaxed grip angle.Your best bet is to go to the local Harley shop and sit on every thing they've got and go from there. Also you can always add pull back risers to a set of standard bars.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:29 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 12-17-2011, 07:59 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

It can be very difficult to find that sweet spot, too high, too far, best thing to do is try to mock up fake bars out of PVC pipe, then figure out your measurements, then hunt down what you want. In my case I gave up trying to find the perfect bars and fabricated my own.
I ended up with the most comfortable bars I have ever had. I need mine forward more than t-bars would allow, but did not want them too high because I found on long trips my hands were going to sleep when I had my apes.
So you can see there are many things to consider, take your time and really find what will be best for you, it may mean custom bars, there are several shops that will build them for you, although it is not cheap. But then how much is your comfort worth?

Old 12-17-2011, 11:23 AM
voneville
Cruiser

The Heritage Softail handlebars might be a good fit for you.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:40 AM
antman27
Road Captain

Think I am going with Carlini super sweeps 7 rise and 9 pullback
Hope the 2" back it going to be more comfortable

Old 01-10-2012, 10:43 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_mama
Good video

Old 01-10-2012, 12:23 PM
2011 FXDB
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by antman27
Think I am going with Carlini super sweeps 7 rise and 9 pullback
Hope the 2" back it going to be more comfortable
The integrated bar-riser combination of these bars limits your ability to fine tune the position of your hands. If you were to go with separate bars and risers you would not only have more ability to adjust, but you could also then swap out the risers for further refinement if needed without needing to rewire the bars. Swapping the risers only down the road is very easy compared to swapping out the bar combination. Just my two cents.

Good luck with whatever path you take!

Old 01-11-2012, 12:25 PM
mongorider
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The numbness in your R hand is a function of -- most likely -- a pinched nerve in your neck. The position of your shoulders will significantly affect this. Normal anatomic position (standing upright, hands at your sides) probably doesn't bring it on at all, right? Raising your arm (even when you sleep, maybe?) does result in numbness eventually, I'd bet.

I've been dealing w/ this for over 20 yrs now, ever since some dumbass foreign national with no license, no insurance, and no ability to speak English ran a stop sign at 60 mph and t-boned me on the driver's side (in a cage, thankfully, nad a good one -- old Saab 900). Broke a few bones, but mostly screwed up my upper spine/neck.

The way I picked my bars was to sit on my bike w/ my feet on the pegs (had a buddy holding it upright for me), and I put my hands on imaginary bars where they were most comfortable. Measured (again, w/ help) the rise, pull back, and width. Ended up w/ buckhorns, and have little trouble w/ the numbness issue. ('cept when it starts to get colder than I'm dressed for, and I unconsciously hunch my shoulders trying to keep warm.)

You can't afford to lose control of your grip, bud! Do yourself a big, big favor and get this figured out right!!!

Mike

Quick Reply: Handlebar choices help...