Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles are "too many" on a purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Default How many miles are "too many" on a purchase?

I'm in the market for an inexpensive Harley, and I'd figured the only thing I could afford at $4500 or so is a Sporty, but I've seen some high miles Dynas out there for around $5k. One in particular is 51k miles, another is 30 some odd thousand and it leaks a bit of oil. I know that maintenance and care are paramount for longevity, but you usually have to take the seller's word for it that he did the proper care. How many miles make you go "Nah..." and how can you really know if a high mile bike is good to go? Should I stick to a low mile 1200 sporty until I can afford a newer Dyna later on? I do plan on longer distance rides...few hours at least.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Ken Baer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on year, model, and original factory color (for me). For what you describe I would advise getting a low mileage rubber mounted Sportster, but only if the ergonomics fit you. Forward controls can transform the riding comfort of that model.
The local rental guy has a 2006 Dyna with 65K miles, all rental miles so you know its had a hard life. But, it runs/rides great, all original, no oil leaks, and at $5K I'm really tempted.
On the other hand, as a data point for you, he's also had to change crankshafts on several late model (2009/2010) rental Ultra's that had between 50-60K miles. Reason? Rider abuse.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:36 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

$4500 isn't much of a budget for a Harley. You must be careful to not buy yourself a new career and money pit. Use your head and be patient. Find a clean bike that isn't mostly used up.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I have 20k on my 2010, I know that is allot when you compare it to some of the Dyna's out there. But I have records of all my maintenance. I ride the bike daily and it still runs like it did the day I picked it up.
I look at it this way, there is a guy down the road from me with an 08' 883, he want $6k for the bike and it only has 400 miles on it. You would think this is a great deal until you start thinking - how bad have the seals gotten from just sitting around, how much maintenance will I need to do to get it in a good new condition. Everything might be fine when you test ride it, but once you start making good use of the bike, those dried up seals will start to break down and then you'll have major issues.

So, its a double edge sword. You buy a bike that you know was/is a daily rider which means it was most likey maintained because some one needed it reliable or you buy something that only saw some pavement once and a blue moon that could have issues that unforeseen do to not being used much which usually also means that it wasn't maintained much.....out of sight, out of mind.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:50 AM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would buy the high milage dyna with newest year

The following users liked this post:
SixDD (02-14-2017)
Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by sonnydaze
i would buy the high milage dyna with newest year
My thoughts exactly!

drumerdude49@aol.com (06-28-2019)
Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

+1 to a bike that has been ridden vs a garage queen, or ignored bike with low miles. I like to see 3-5k per year minimum. Mine does around 12k a year and I attribute it's good health to that. Ridding a bike is the best maintenance for the motor followed by oil changes.

45k for something that is in good shape and runs well wouldn't worry me. These engines are tanks. They have a few weak spots, but after 45k you should be looking at a solid performer.

Other than that I'd just add that Twin cams and Evos should not be leaking. It might be a minor thing but there is no reason for it other than a lazy owner IMO, unless it is an expensive fix they don't want to do.

Last edited by Thingfish; 04-18-2012 at 09:17 AM.
skydweller97 (02-15-2017)
Old 04-18-2012, 09:38 AM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my limited experience, you are absolutely spot on to be concerned about the cost/milage trade off!

I just purchased my first Harley in Dec and (a) my budget was limited and (b) I'm real handy with tools. So I bought an '04 Dyna for $4K with 45K miles. I knew it would need work, but boy did I get slammed! In the 4 mos I've owned it, it's been running about 4 weeks. I've done all the work myself as time allows, but between the specialized tools required to work in the cam chest, the primary & etc. and the parts I've had to purchase, I now have about $8k in the machine counting purchase price. If I had to sell it, I'd probably be lucky to get $4500 for it. I should qualify my story by pointing out that my bike was a retired police Defender - rode hard/put up wet (don't believe those bogus stories about how PD's do a great job of maintenance!!!!!).

On the + side, I never run out of something to do on the weekends!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

My 08 street bob has 22000 kms. I bought it last year with 5000 kms. It had a very slight oil drip that stopped after I started putting miles on it. I am confident that these bikes will go an easy 100000 miles properly maintained. Maintenance is the key. I am **** about fluid changes,I change the oil as soon as it has a strong fuel smell. Primary is changed every second oil change and I changed the tranny fluid at 15000.
Now I have a 106 kit just installed. I will be putting break in miles this weekend.
The shop who installed the S&S kit told me that the old pistons and jugs had no visible wear,so that tells me that these motors will go a very long time before needing a rebuild.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:08 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by blueangel73
...there is a guy down the road from me with an 08' 883, he want $6k for the bike and it only has 400 miles on it. You would think this is a great deal until you start thinking - how bad have the seals gotten from just sitting around, how much maintenance will I need to do to get it in a good new condition. Everything might be fine when you test ride it, but once you start making good use of the bike, those dried up seals will start to break down and then you'll have major issues.

So, its a double edge sword. You buy a bike that you know was/is a daily rider which means it was most likey maintained because some one needed it reliable or you buy something that only saw some pavement once and a blue moon that could have issues that unforeseen do to not being used much which usually also means that it wasn't maintained much.....out of sight, out of mind.
Where do you guys come up w/ this BS? Dried out seals?

Quick Reply: How many miles are "too many" on a purchase?