Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Motor Mount Shim-With Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:57 PM
tonygret
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Motor Mount Shim-With Pics

So I started noticing an excessive vibration on my 2009 FXDL at about 2900 to 3100 RPM especially in 6th gear. It always had a vibration but it seems to be getting worse. I was in the process of removing the emission canister that is mounted to the front mount bracket on California models. I figured this was a good time to try the shims that I had read about in several other threads.

I placed a scissor jack underneath the motor although several posts said that was unnecessary. I can tell you it was absolutely necessary or I would not have been able to line up the bolts to get them back in. In any case as the other post said would happen, as I loosened the mount it pulled back from the frame about the width of a single 3/8" washer. I simply fit one washer on the top and one on the bottom and reinstalled the blots. The whole proceeded took 5 minutes.

I did notice prior to loosening the mount blots that I could jack the motor up about 1/4 inch without any lift in the frame. I don't know if this is normal because I have nothing to compare to. Does this mean the mount is sagging and failing?

I measured the thickness of the washers. 2mm exactly. The mount is several inches wide and I just cant see this making much of a difference. But a 300 mile ride this weekend should be pretty conclusive. I will report back on Sunday.

Attached are some pics of the mount with washers from above and below.

To be continued . . .

Attached Thumbnails Front Motor Mount Shim-With Pics-mounttop.jpg   Front Motor Mount Shim-With Pics-mountbot.jpg  
Old 04-20-2012, 01:00 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I could jack the motor up about 1/4 inch without any lift in the frame
Im also curious about this. It doesnt seem like there should be that much vertical movement, the side to side movement would seem to be the most critical

Old 04-20-2012, 05:45 AM
markp66
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it helped mine. A few weeks ago I had tires installed at an indy. When he test rode it he told me he thought it had alot of vibration on deceleration. I told him I hadn't noticed and this is my first Harley so I had nothing to compare it too. Anyway, after reading about it on here, added two washers to each bolt. Not only could I tell a vast improvement, my wife commented about it next time she rode with me.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:54 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

The vertical movement is to be expected, as you relieve the weight from the frame mount it takes a small amount for the decompressing of the motor mount to catch up to the lifting.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like somebody would come out with an aftermarket motor mount by now with an improved design. Mine is shimmed as well, I think I have 3 washers top and bottom

Old 04-20-2012, 08:40 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On my 11 wg the dealer said my motor mount dropped. Meaning the rubber of the mount was against the metal. They clearances it and it was like a. Different bike.

Attached Thumbnails Front Motor Mount Shim-With Pics-before.jpg   Front Motor Mount Shim-With Pics-after.jpg  

Last edited by pontiac69; 04-20-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Pics
Old 04-20-2012, 09:28 AM
tonygret
Tourer

Originally Posted by pontiac69
On my 11 wg the dealer said my motor mount dropped. Meaning the rubber of the mount was against the metal. They clearances it and it was like a. Different bike.
pontiac69,

You said they "clearenced it". What exactly does that mean? Like you my mount looks like your before picture. Adding shims will not make it look like your after picture. What did they do?

Never Mind, I see now. They removed about 1/4 of material from the top of the rubber part of the mount. Interesting idea! I wil see if this is necessary.

Last edited by tonygret; 04-20-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:05 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tonygret
pontiac69,

You said they "clearenced it". What exactly does that mean? Like you my mount looks like your before picture. Adding shims will not make it look like your after picture. What did they do?

Never Mind, I see now. They removed about 1/4 of material from the top of the rubber part of the mount. Interesting idea! I wil see if this is necessary.
Originally i used the washers and it helped. But then decided to pull them out when i had my 1k service done. I told them about it and they checked the motor mount and said it droped. So they said the best thing to do is shave off the correct amount so it has the proper clearance. They said they could put a new one on under warranty but said it may just drop again. By clearancing the original one, it shouldnt drop any more. It has found its happy place. I will tell you it was like a differnent bike when i picked it up.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:16 AM
HD-MC
Tourer

So I guess you could just get a dremel and shim the top of the mount to clear it so it look like your after pics.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:33 AM
tonygret
Tourer

HD-MC,

You wouldn't be shimming it, but removing some of the rubber material with either a sharp knife or dremel. Problem with the dremel is they tend to bounce all over and put knicks in things. I think its worth a try if the shims don't work. Because the only other solution is a new mount anyway.

Quick Reply: Front Motor Mount Shim-With Pics