Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very sick sound coming from the engine (2011 FXDWG)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Very sick sound coming from the engine (2011 FXDWG)

I love my Wide Glide and have had it since December 2010. I just passed 30K miles on it this weekend with a trip out to AZ. When I was out there, I noticed the rockers seemed to be really loud. I checked the oil and while it was a bit low, it was still well within limits (1/2 a quart was almost too much to add and it went just past the full hot mark).

When I got off the freeway in Beaumont, I heard an intermittant tick coming from the engine. It was loud. At first I thought it might be from the car in front of me and it was just an acustical trick making me think it was my bike but when I stopped a few lights later and was at the light all by myself, it was still there.

I was close to home so I rode on but the sound persisted. It seemed like new sounds were appearing as I rode but you never know if that's just you or not. It wasn't regular but it was fairly loud and definately not normal. I got her home and the sound was still there.

I almost think I heard this sound once before...when my '63 VW bug lost oil pressure and the engine siezed. Not giving me the warm fuzzies here. Sounds like a main bearing click but I had enough oil and good oil pressure. Also, it seemed like gas milage went to **** once the engine started making the noise. I got about 40 miles on what normally would have taken me 80.

All the service work has been done on it (and was going to do the 30K mile this week after I got back from AZ). Going to take it in to the dealer tomorrow since it's still under warranty.

I wonder though if maybe I got some bad gas and I'm just hearing the ticking associated with that. Then again, I wonder if that's just wishful thinking.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:29 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 838 Likes on 370 Posts

could be one of your pushrods has come out of alignment. that will create a tapping noise

Old 07-16-2012, 12:48 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

ive been getting annoyed with my valve train noise myself and im at 33k miles but it could be because of the new fairing...im due for some maintenance anyways so i will be opening her up within the next 2 weeks to do cams & inner bearings, adj push rods, new lifters, inner & outer chains and tensioners, breathers and of course gaskets, o-rings, and oil change etc....so while im inside ill be inspecting anything else i can see...

Old 07-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gartec81
could be one of your pushrods has come out of alignment. that will create a tapping noise
Wouldn't that be a consistant noise...like Tak...tak...tak...tak...tak...

This one is more tak..............tak..tak....tick...tak........... tak...... No real rythum to it at all.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:31 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

could be a bad lifter....

Old 07-16-2012, 01:44 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Hey Robo,

I checked my Clymer Manual for you. Here's what it says on valve train noise:
  • a bent push rod
  • a defective hydrolic lifter(s)
  • a bent valve
  • Rocker arm seizure or damage (binding on shaft)
  • Worn or damaged camshaft gear bushing(s)
  • Worn or damaged camshaft gear(s)

Old 07-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea, I'm afraid it may be something pretty nasty. Well, we'll take her in tomorrow...get the most out of my unlimited milage Harley warranty. LOL Bike isn't two years old yet...31K on the clock.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:57 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

at least you have your warranty still, that'll definitely save you a headache

Old 07-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Kevinmach1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check to see if your spark plug is loose, sounds strange but it will make a sound like that if its loose.... Hopefully its as easy as that.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:31 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 838 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotech
Wouldn't that be a consistant noise...like Tak...tak...tak...tak...tak...

This one is more tak..............tak..tak....tick...tak........... tak...... No real rythum to it at all.

had one that was out on me. 1990 softail. it was irregular. there was no real pattern other than I heard it everytime the motor was running..

Quick Reply: Very sick sound coming from the engine (2011 FXDWG)