Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Dyna fuel and oil issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:49 PM
geoffratrod
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dyna fuel and oil issues

Hello all,
My 2006 Dyna Superglide is having some serious issues.
The bike is a 2006 Superglide with:
Joker Machine High flow air cleaner
Cycleshack turnout slip ons with stock headers
Custom rear-end which had wiring issues but was fixed at HD dealer
Z bars with internal wiring, also done at dealer
New stock gas tank, powder coated, replaced the dented stock one.
mini bullet front turn signals, also had some wiring problems but was fixed.

Here are my issues:
When I picked the bike up from Harley after having them replace the tank there was and is an audible "electrical hum" that sounds similar to the fuel injector priming noise but is higher in frequency, quieter and drones consistently when bike is running. Asked them to look at it. They said the noise was normal and was just the fuel pump working. I was very skeptical as the bike had never made that noise before and it really didn't sound right. Left thinking it would get worse.

Took the bike out today about 3 weeks after tank was replaced. Tank was replaced August 19th. On it's first longish ride in long time, on account of it being in the shop so much. Went about 100 miles. 80 miles in noticed a knocking noise. Sounded like it was coming from the valve covers and was consistent with engine RPM, not speed. Sounded like how I've heard rod knock described but haven't yet had the privilege of experiencing it so not sure.
Pulled over and checked a couple things. The voltage regulator was loose. Took off the oil cooler and refitted the voltage regulator over it. Attributed some noise to that but then checked the oil. The bike was VERY dry and has had the fluids changed in under a 1k miles. I baby my bikes and change fluids about every 2.5k but this bike had it done recently. Added 2.5 qts and noticed it was overfilled so, dumped some out. Figure the bike had about a quart in it when it gave with the knock. Wasn't totally dry.
I had noticed about two weeks ago that the oil light blinked 3 times. It happened again a week later but I attributed it to some of the wiring issues the bike had been having and thought a serious oil issue would light up and not go away and not blink.
After filling the bike with about 2qts of 20w50 proline I started it up and the knocking noise was gone. Rode it the 20 miles needed to go back to my house and intend to bring it in to the dealer tomorrow.

I believe the electrical whine to be small pinhole leak in the high pressure fuel line in the tank. The oil issue and the fuel issue don't seem to be related but it seems like a serious coincidence to me that the two are occurring in such close proximity. Would a lean or rich fuel mixture lead to excessive oil consumption. Would the motor burn oil if starved for gas?
I haven't noticed any oil leaks, smoke or any of the other primary signs of bad oil consumption but the knocking noise was really alarming.

Also to note:
The bike is under Harley extended warranty and Harley has done all the recent work on the bike including the the fuel tank.

Thanks for any help and input!

Best,

Geoff