Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ricor / Ohlins rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Panimal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ricor / Ohlins rear shocks

I've searched and read a bunch of threads about these rear shocks. I'm still undecided about which ones to buy. They are both expensive and I only want to buy a set once! I know the Ohlins are rebuildable, but are the Ricors? If you could buy a set of either of these rear shocks, which way would you go?... Why? (Not taking into account of the cost of either of them) I am trying to make my mind up before I buy a set. I would hate to spend the money on either of them and then not be happy with how they work or ride. They would be for my '10 FXDWG, and I'm a big ol' boy... 6' 4" & 308 pounds. I'm tired of the stock shocks bottoming out.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:02 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Both are great shocks. I ended up with the ricor 12 1/2 sport tune and couldn' be happier. They are great by myself or with my wife on the back. (I give it 5 tuens for 2 up) I very rarely bottomed out my stock shocks, but the ricor make the bike handle better, wind is no longer a issue, and they took the "jolt" away from the bumps.

The only issue I have is that Brian is overwelmed with business and usually takes a few days to talk to anyone at ricor. Took almost a month to get my shocks. And yes...they are totally rebuildable a come with a satifaction, full money back guarantee...so no risk in trying them

Old 09-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Bo_Jangles
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out works suspension. They are out of Canoga Park, Ca and build every shock to order. That means you get to talk to a real person, you get a much wider choice of how your shocks can look (all chrome, all black, a mixture of both) they also have a great variety of options and finishing touches like their BARS system that allows you to easiely adjust preload for two up riding. Also they have a 30 day return policy if you need to swap out for another configuration. They are the only company I've seen that makes dual rate shocks built to your exact specs. I'm looking for a set of their black trackers with chrome springs in the very near future. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Austin Dave
Road Master

Ohlins. Call Howard Messner at Motorcycle Metal (a forum sponsor) and have a talk with him. Howard is a Harley suspension expert and highly respected in the racing community. Forum members get a price-break at MM (that may also applies to all forum sponsors) Free call and it will be informative.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Panimal
Cruiser

I'll check out the works shocks, never have seen those. Thanks for the replies! I wish I had friends with all these different shocks so I could "try before I buy"! How long does it take to get shocks from works or ohlins? I see Ricors take a month. I seem to have a patience problem when I'm ready to buy something. Are the Dyna ohlins adjustable besides the preload?

Old 09-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Bo_Jangles
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are numerous ohlins set ups so I could only assume they have a wide variety of options when it comes to how adjustable they can be. I think works has a quick turn around. http://www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html. They have a FAQ page that answers a lot of general questions.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:21 PM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My more recent Ohlins thread responses:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/10264103-post10.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/10243196-post7.html

On the #3's, they feature adjustable Length, Rebound, Spring Preload

Old 09-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile fully adjustable

Originally Posted by Austin Dave
Ohlins. Call Howard Messner at Motorcycle Metal (a forum sponsor) and have a talk with him. Howard is a Harley suspension expert and highly respected in the racing community. Forum members get a price-break at MM (that may also applies to all forum sponsors) Free call and it will be informative.
+1 on the Ohlins- great, fully adjustable- preload, compression, rebound, length, etc. Howard at MotorcycleMetal.com is great to work with, too. I've put 35,000 miles on my shocks and know they make the ride a new experience you can't believe... until you experience it! Jay

Old 09-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Panimal
Cruiser

Is it worth the extra money to get the piggyback style shocks or would I be good with the #3's?

Old 09-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Austin Dave
Road Master

Originally Posted by Panimal
Is it worth the extra money to get the piggyback style shocks or would I be good with the #3's?
Maybe/maybe not. Call Howard and ask him. He is the professional suspension expert. No one here can intelligently answer. He can.

Quick Reply: Ricor / Ohlins rear shocks