Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start after Stall Question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 PM
markiejw
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start after Stall Question...

Okay, so this is my first Harley, so if I am asking dumb questions I apologize in advance.

Sometimes when I try and turn my bike over after it's only been off for only a few seconds or minutes it doesn't fire and make a real shitty sound. Today on my way home I had to pull off the road for a second to answer my phone. When I got back on the bike, which was still running, after my phone call, I popped the clutch and stalled my bike out. When I went to restart it, it cranked a couple times then just died out. I ended up waiting a few minutes and then when I cranked it again I open the throttle a bit more than I normally do when starting up and everything was fine.

As far as opening your throttle whenever you start up your bike, is that normal? When I very first got the bike, like two weeks ago, I tried to start it with no throttle and it did the same thing as today, just cranked a few times, sounding real, 'dry' if you will, and then died. I was with a guy once, and he told me I need to let the fuel injectors work a little bit before I turn it over. So I've gotten in the habit of sitting there for a minute or so, then I'll crank it, but I feel like I need to hold the throttle open just slightly or it's not going to fire.

The bike is an '07 Dyna Low Rider (FXDL).

Again, sorry if these are dumb questions. This is my first Harley and I'm not quite sure what's normal and why it has a hard time turning back on after stalling out.

Thanks!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:53 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Hot Start

When you start the bike while it's hot, just turn the ignition switch on and then the run switch. Don't wait for the fuel pump to prime just go ahead and hit the starter...It always works for mine when it's hot but when it's cold you need to wait for the fuel pump to prime.