Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Dyna riders use HJC RPS-10 or Shoei RF1100 in bad weather?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 04:23 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Any Dyna riders use HJC RPS-10 or Shoei RF1100 in bad weather?

Any owners of these two helmets ride in rain and cold weather on a consistent basis. ? I really like the HJC but have heard mixed reports about how well it does in long all day type rides in the rain. Probably have to use a pinlock shield with either of these helmets anyway but hoping for input from fellow dyna riders. thank you....

Old 09-24-2012, 05:55 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

RF1100 for me in bad weather.
In the rain it's no problem, in the freezing cold it fogs up a bit.
I have to have it open a notch in cold.
Very good quality.
I wish they made an electric anti-fog shield for it.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Loner88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a HJC FS-15, think that's close to the RPS? It came Pin lock prepared, works good in the rain down to about 50 degrees with the Pin lock visor, starts to fog around edges after that and have to keep the visor cracked open a little.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:42 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I use a discontinued RF-1000 full time. There are pin lock options available for it. .it fogs up when cold out but otherwise is good in the rain.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 PM
obonaven
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've ridden for about 5 hours in on and off rain with my Scorpion. No issues if you crack the shield at lights and stop signs.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:32 PM
McGinnes_john
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always ride in a RF-1000 and it's a great helmet for rain. A trifle foggy in the cold when stopped but not more than any other helmet I've had. Keeps my head warm on rides in Maine. The RF-1100 is the current version of that.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:07 PM
bremsstrahlung
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also ride a Shoei RF1000, not one of the helmets in question, but I wanted to give some input for those having fogging issues with any visor, you need a Fog City fog shield. Do an Internet search for it, they are available all over the place and problary stocked a most places that sell sport bikes. I've been riding with them for years and years on all my FF helmets. Nothing works better at eliminating fog. It's a clear plastic insert that goes on the inside of the visor.( similar to the pinlock system) One time application. From my personal experience, the temperature has to be down in the mid 30's before it starts to lose effectiveness. Even then, it won't fog but start to get a thin layer of moisture that you can still see through.

Last edited by bremsstrahlung; 09-24-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well mine is a modular not a solid full face but I use a HJC IS-MAX (now that model is the IS-MAX BT because it has a blue tooth accessory slot) in cold weather and like others have said sometimes I have had to open the front visor a tad at stop lights. I found a good fleece balaclava that helped when wearing it underneath cause it reduces the fogging from my breath at stops. I am planning on getting a slight mirror tint visor for it and using some anti-fog before it gets cold here like Rain-X anti fog to see if that gets rid of the fogging. Overall HJC helmets are really good in my opinion but then the modular has a drop down internal sun shield for day riding which is awesome. I take the cheek pads out though cause I got a square jaw and the helmet shape is too narrow in the jaw for me which is why I don't use a solid full face.

If you do go with an HJC I found a great online retailer that sells a really wide variety of replacement shields in various tints and colors for I think every model they make http://www.hjc-helmets.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Old 09-25-2012, 02:48 PM
McGinnes_john
Tourer

For fogging, washing the shield with dish soap helps, or rubbing it with a potato or bar of soap (I've heard). Also, frog breather breath guards are supposed to be good and the afformentioned pinlocks or special shields. My cheap method has been to hold my breath when stopped. Not recommended for rush hour...or any other hours.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:46 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

I use a 1100 at times, sure it fogs up in cold weather a bit, but if I use a 3/4 with mask my goggles fog up more. Its great in rain.

Quick Reply: Any Dyna riders use HJC RPS-10 or Shoei RF1100 in bad weather?