Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a measurement from any Dyna....please

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Muddyape
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a measurement from any Dyna....please

So I ripped the front end apart on the 07 Street Bob to 1) Sell the complete front end (not much luck so far) and 2) Start mounting the Switchback front end. Here's what Ive learned so far;

I can still use the 1" WG front axle from my set up with the spacers etc. and not have to convert to 25mm BUT...The caliper is a little too close to the rotor now. The Switchback fork leg puts its a little closer to the rotor than the Street Bob lower did. So if someone could take a measurement from a still assembled Dyna front end for me. What I need is this.....

Preferably with a steel rule or something accurate (i.e. not a tape measure), pretend their are no brake pads and measure from the outside face of the rotor to the inside edge of the caliper itself. Please see drawing for reference.

Im going to have to machine something to get the proper clearance trying to determine exactly how much i need to remove. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Muddyape; 12-23-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:01 PM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

.430 inchs.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Muddyape
Road Master

Crap!....so the caliper is basically centered over the rotor? If I start messing with spacers then I'm gonna end up have to change the offset of the rim....more money! Oh well, nothing comes easy. Ive only got maybe .200 of an inch now, dont think ive got room to make up the distance. Thanks.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:54 PM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Frind had to machine where it mounts to fork to get his lined up. He added custom wheels and could not cet it to work so he had a machine shop mill some off the mounting pad on caliper.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

What about shaving a little of the caliper or forkleg mounts,

Old 12-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Muddyape
Road Master

The fork leg doesnt have much to offer (maybe .060) and I can probably get about 3/16" off the caliper. Be cutting it close but I can get the machine work done free so it's a better option. This swap has cost me enough already...still got a winter of spending to go.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

The switchback has 41mm legs i believe, maybe use Fatboy legs

Old 12-24-2012, 12:27 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Muddy

Can't you space the rotor or machine the hub (not sure which way it's gotta go) ...?

Might work better than screwing around with the fork leg or caliper ... just thought I'd throw the idea out there ...

Originally Posted by Muddyape
Crap!....so the caliper is basically centered over the rotor? If I start messing with spacers then I'm gonna end up have to change the offset of the rim....more money! Oh well, nothing comes easy. Ive only got maybe .200 of an inch now, dont think ive got room to make up the distance. Thanks.
I guess if you change the spacing of the rotor relative to the hub, you'll also have to adjust the width of any spacer on that side of the wheel accordingly ... but, I don't think that would change the centering of the wheel between the forks ...

R/
'Chop

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 12-24-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:27 AM
Muddyape
Road Master

The rotor either has to go closer to the center of the wheel or the caliper has to go away from center. Definitely do-able but was a minor set back. I was having such a productive day otherwise.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:41 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Dont mean to be a stick in the mud but shifting that caliper around could spell trouble. Causing brakes to over heat if not properly done. Caliper will warp and then lock up front brakes. Dont ask me how I know.

Last edited by aces&8s; 12-24-2012 at 06:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Need a measurement from any Dyna....please