Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on risers???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:06 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Question School me on risers???

With XMAS out of the way, I have just finished up ordering the parts for this winters project.

- Fat Bob trees
- Hawg Halters wide-glide conversion kit
- Joker Machine risers
- El Diablo bars
- Reduced Reach forward controls

Once you go black, you don't go back! So, of course, all parts were ordered in black and if they aren't black, they will be powdered black before being installed.

With that said, this leads me to my question on risers. I am unfamiliar with them as I only have had the integrated risers that my 2010 Street Bob came with. Will my new risers just bolt-on directly to my new Fat Bob trees, or do I need to purchase some type of bushings? If bushings are required, do I go with solid, poly, or rubber?

I appreciate any info you can provide on the risers.

Thanks, Jason

P.S. - For anybody interested, I will have all of my existing/replaced parts for sale very soon after all my new parts are installed. So send me any inquiries and I will let you know as soon as they are ready to ship.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM
QC-RAIDERS-91
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The higher the riser the stiffer your bushing should be, bushing are not provided with your riser, you should change the orignal bushing with poly bushing if you go with 10in riser+

Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 PM
RJHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how the Street Bob is configured.

Just put 6" pull back risers on my Fat Bob and they attach to the upper bracket with bushings. The bike had rubber bushings and the bars shifted around no matter how much I torqued them down. Put a pair of poly bushings on and they're now solid as a rock. I'm hoping they don't transmit any more vibration than the rubber bushings did.

Too cold and snowy to go for a ride and find out. Will likely be until spring before I know.

Last edited by RJHD; 01-06-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i would recomend going poly, when ever customers have apes or high bars i always suggest that. be sure you tq them to spec do not just tighten the **** out of them or you will be replacing the bushings in a few months

Old 01-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Danielc409
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
i would recomend going poly, when ever customers have apes or high bars i always suggest that. be sure you tq them to spec do not just tighten the **** out of them or you will be replacing the bushings in a few months
A question about torquing .. how do you use a torque wrench on allen bolts like the riser clamp bolts? I prefer to do whatever I can to use my torque wrenches but is there a specific type for motorcycles?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:25 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

go with poly bushings.

i like your mods list...looks a lot like mine!

Originally Posted by Danielc409
A question about torquing .. how do you use a torque wrench on allen bolts like the riser clamp bolts? I prefer to do whatever I can to use my torque wrenches but is there a specific type for motorcycles?
what do you mean? my allen head sockets fit on my torque wrench...

Old 01-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Danielc409
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toastman
go with poly bushings.

i like your mods list...looks a lot like mine!

what do you mean? my allen head sockets fit on my torque wrench...

Doh, question answered .. get allen head sockets lol. I just never looked for them, was only aware of allen wrenches.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Danielc409
allen sockets on a regular tq wrench

Old 01-02-2013, 03:54 PM
QC-RAIDERS-91
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the Tq spec ?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the replies everybody.

So would the stock integrated setup I have now be considered a solid since there are no bushings at all?

I will go with the poly bushings. I found some for cheap on eBay. The new apes are 10" like stock but the risers are 2". So it should be about an inch higher total rise compared to stock.

Quick Reply: School me on risers???