Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's running a DK customs coil relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:10 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Who's running a DK customs coil relocation?

just wanted to hear experiences and how the install went.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I am. I have an older bike than you so it mounts a little different, but it was a simple install and has been flawless. I also got their horn relocation. The horn mounts in teh middle of the down tubes.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

I am. I have an older bike than you so it mounts a little different, but it was a simple install and has been flawless. I also got their horn relocation. The horn mounts in teh middle of the down tubes. I got the cut to fit wires from them also. I have been thinking about flipping it upside down but I like it like this.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for the pics, looks great on your ride.

How did you run the extended wires?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I installed this over the summer. Easy install. I did not use the supplied extension harnesses though. Nothing wrong with them, I just thought they were too bulky to hide so I just cut the coil wires a little past the stock connector and soldered in some longer wire and heat shrunk everything. No issues!

I got the horn kit too and mounted it between the downtubes, similar to a Blackline. However, the day I did the install, I felt like riding and never wired the horn up. I never used the stock horn anyway so I said eff it and rode out. I will probably wire it up this winter which will just be similar to the coil wires anyway, just extend/solder.

Anyway, here is a pic I took the day I installed it. It really cleans that side of the bike up. I can stick my arm straight thru the back of the engine clear to the other side. You could run an exhaust pipe thru there, if you were into that sort of thing on a Dyna.

Oh, you can run the wires along the main harness which goes right above that area. Also, I plan to shave the old coil mounting bracket off to create even more room back there. For now, I just used some 1/2" allen bolts (painted black) to fill the holes.

Last edited by jmeiers; 01-06-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 PM
deadrider
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My ol got this for me for Xmas I can't wait to put it on

Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 PM
chopNdrop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Planning to buy one soon. Does it use two of the already shorter wire from the factory location? Would like to keep my orange SE's, would be nice to just have to buy one more wire.

Also in for more pics, im interested in seeing this 'bulky' harness spoken of.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

I measured a while back and the coil fits inside of my skull horn cover.

I think it'll look badass with two red wires coming out of the skull head. Plus it cleans up that side of the bike so nicely

Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

I just extended and soldered the wires as well. The kit comes with some fancy setup that I did not feel like messing with. Cut, splice and solder. I ran the wires up along the frame and down to the coil. I covered the wires that plug into the coil with split loom. I'll get a closeup one of these days but I see I left my plug wires far too long. Hmmm. Might have to work on that.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Beboo
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dumb question: does mounting the coil between the cylinders effect coil function and/or performance? It strikes me that there is far more heat in that location compared to the factory spot.

Quick Reply: Who's running a DK customs coil relocation?