Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Dyna 30T and IPB

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 AM
CTRICH57
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 06 Dyna 30T and IPB

Hi to all dyna owners. Decided to do the 30 tooth pulley on my 06 dyna with 5000 miles. After opening up found IPB on its way out . I have read just about all the post on these two issues. Since its already open should I install the Baker bearing or put back together and see if MOCO will fix. Either way 30 tooth is going in. Does any body know who makes the baker bearing and is it a ball or roller type. The size is a 25-52-15 or 6205-2z. I think SKF makes this in open and closed type. Appreciate any input.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:31 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found myself in the same situation last Summer and just had them put the Baker bearing in.I don't know if it's rollers or ***** but it is a sealed bearing and looks much better than the open HD bearing.My indy that did the work said that if I took the bearing to the HD shop that they might be willing to give me some money but I just never got around to it.Also while you're at it get the bolts on your rotor/stator welded or buy one with that's not bolted together.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Do the Baker bearing and take care of the stator bolts.

When my bike was down, I did the baker bearing and upgraded to the new style stator...bike is a 2006 with 17K and no sign of problems with either, but at least now i know what I have.

Job is not that hard to do...

Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 PM
CTRICH57
Advanced

Thanks for the replies. Just got off the phone with rep from MOCO. After explaining my situation he gave me a service request#. Tomorro will go to local dealer and see if they will help. So I guess if I do not get any satisfaction the Baker will go in.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:40 PM
CTRICH57
Advanced

Ok so I went to dealer today with inner primary and service request # and talked to service writer. He said he was not familiar with this problem.I explained the whole 06 dyna problem top to bottom. He called MOCO and talked to them I heard some of the conversation. He told me I was put in the system but need to bring in bike for inspection by factory rep. We then went to service managers office and I explained the whole deal again and he told me I could bring bike in and they would check it out no charge but If its approved I would probably only get the bearing replaced because thats all they have ever done and never heard of new primary and trans case replacement. What to do, sorry for the long story.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:50 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't waste your time at the dealer if your time has any value to you. The Baker bearing is about $40 and a good fix. The bearing number if you want to get it from a bearing supplier is: bearing NTN # 62052 and seal is # Harwal SC-25-52-7-3. And as stated, weld the rotor bolts while you're in there.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:07 PM
mdiver88
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering.... wouldn't it be better to push the dealer and MOCO for the full fix? Is using just the Baker bearing good enough?

The problem of the missing locating dowels will still be there. I know not all dealers are willing to do it, and the MOCO will probably not offer it if you are unaware of the full fix. To me it sounds like a better and more permanent fix.

Last edited by mdiver88; 01-08-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:22 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The Baker bearing is a good fix. Even if you replace the factory bearing with the same one every 15k miles as suggested originally by HD you would probably be just fine. It is not too difficult to replace the IPB and dealing with the dealer in my experience is always a hassle.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:20 PM
CTRICH57
Advanced

OK I think I am leaning towards the Baker but just wondering how many miles owners have on the Baker on 06 Dynas. It seems like the Baker has longevity on other harley models but donot see alot about the 06 Dyna. As for as the dowel thing is that the real problem or was it sloppy instalation. I cant believe there can be that much movement if that primary is slid on and bolted down to proper specs.

Quick Reply: 06 Dyna 30T and IPB