Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension ...searched... still have question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 838 Likes on 370 Posts
Default suspension ...searched... still have question

Ok bikes is really in need is a proper set up.

Im 6,4 220 wife rides sometimes at 120

Current setup:

Stock front
Touring shock rear

Handles like poo. The more i push the bike the more it gets scarry. Rear tire movment all over, front dive and rear dive. What gives?

So now i start the suspension hunt.

Rear-works black trackers 13.5"
Chassis - true track
Front -??

So gold valve emulators with what springs

Also should i get preload adjustors. Just really lost on this topic. I am a total newb on suspension. But i want a great working set up

Any input would be great

Last edited by gartec81; 01-24-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Psi23
Banned
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Same boat as me deciding on front suspension been looking at the work cartridge drop in, race tech springs and emulators or just splurging all out and getting the 30mm ohlins from motorcyclemetal... Choices

Old 01-24-2013, 11:55 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I posted a pretty exhaustive thread on front suspension. I'm running single rate 1.0kg springs from Traxxion Dynamics, the only people who build them for 49mm, and Ricor Intimidators. It by far the best set up, 4 different if you include stock, that I've ran. I'm planning to pull the intimidators and basically have them ported to further improve the set up. I weigh about the same as you. Here's a link to the thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/764904-front-suspension-upgrade.html

Old 01-24-2013, 11:58 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior

I'm sure the ohlins are much better than what I'm running, but what my setup cost is pocket change in comparison. If money was no object I'd have a set of ohlins R&T forks on my bike.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:06 AM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member

Ok so just read the whole thing.

So i should get traxxon single rate springs and gold valves.

But do i have to cut stuff up like you did. Or maybe stock springs with gold valves.

Still very confused but feel closer to the prize. Money is a thing for me so i cant buy many times or get a inverted front end

Old 01-25-2013, 03:07 AM
bicio
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gartec81
Ok bikes is really in need is a proper set up.

Im 6,4 220 wife rides sometimes at 120

Current setup:

Stock front
Touring shock rear

Handles like poo. The more i push the bike the more it gets scarry. Rear tire movment all over, front dive and rear dive. What gives?

So now i start the suspension hunt.

Rear-works black trackers 13.5"
Chassis - true track
Front -??

So gold valve emulators with what springs

Also should i get preload adjustors. Just really lost on this topic. I am a total newb on suspension. But i want a great working set up

Any input would be great
I had the same issue about the fork diving, my weight is 240 so I installed 2 heavy duty progressive springs standard lenght and the diving is now gone for good. If you travel in 2 it could be good for you too.
About shocks I'm thinking about progressive 970, they are a little pricey but less then ohlins

Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 AM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior

I wouldn't buy gold valves. I'm using Ricor Intimidator valves. I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "cut stuff up"? The only thing I had to cut was a preload spacer out of PVC. The springs are $124 shipped, which is comparable to any other spring, and the valves are $160-180 depending in where you get them. Fabrik8r sent me mine for $180. He can do the mod to them before he ships them. Mine were stock since we weren't sure if the mod would be needed on the 49mm forks.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Upgrading the front suspension will eliminate dive, bottoming out and give you a better ride & handling but its not going to cure problems with the rear end.
You say the rear tire movement is all over... are you talking about the typical problem associated with the dynas rubber mounts transferring movement to the swing arm/rear tire? Quality shocks can help eliminate some of the problem, a true track could be your cure

Old 01-25-2013, 01:21 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ryderbiker
I wouldn't buy gold valves. I'm using Ricor Intimidator valves. I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "cut stuff up"? The only thing I had to cut was a preload spacer out of PVC. The springs are $124 shipped, which is comparable to any other spring, and the valves are $160-180 depending in where you get them. Fabrik8r sent me mine for $180. He can do the mod to them before he ships them. Mine were stock since we weren't sure if the mod would be needed on the 49mm forks.
I thpught i read you had to cut springs down to get the cap back one. But i guess you did something diff.

If i got those springs and intimidators. Can i just install them or should i send them to the forum member first.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the ricor shocks and the ricor intimidators and the bike handles great and is much smoother, no more jarring bumps. I installed the intimidators without taking my forks apart. I used a marine pump to pump the fork oil out through the fork caps. I then refilled with amzoil shock therapy fork oil.

The ricor shocks are made for your weight and are a quality product. Works, JRI, Olins, are great as well. I would stay away from progressive but that's just my opinion.

I don't feel the need for a true trac or any other stabilizer. Bike handles great by myself and also 2-up.

Where you want to go with your suspension comes down to how much money you are willing to spend and how many times you want to redo the front end to get the proper sag dialed in. (among other tweeks) I have about $900 bucks in redoing my front and back and it was worth every penny. I am still going to do some adjusting on my front forks to get it 100% and be done for now.

I believe ryderbiker will have the best front end set up when he gets it dialed in...a lot of time and money and patience. The weather is too good here right now for me to mess with it right now. I'm just enjoying the new ride...

Last edited by rooti; 01-25-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: suspension ...searched... still have question