Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

decel popping - how much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:51 PM
tfalcon
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default decel popping - how much is too much?

So I just installed some Rush slipons with the 2" baffle on my street bob and I'm getting alot of decel popping. Everything else is stock. I figured I'd get some with the bike being lean and all, and I've read on here that it's common, but didn't think it would be this much. Pretty much every time I let of the gas I get some type of pop or crakle, even sometimes durring a higher rpm up shift. Just want to make sure that it was normal. The bike only has 300 miles on it so I dunno if it'll get better or not. I don't beleive I have any leaks.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have the same pipes and pop on mine, almost at 5k miles now. Still the same pop. I hear an AC and tune will help out but, I kinda like the popping sound. I dont think it's bad thing but, I could be in need of more info...

Old 01-26-2013, 04:40 PM
highwayman1224
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just got my 1,000 mile service & dyno done today. My thunderheader had a **** load of decel popping, I hated it! He tuned most of it out when he dynoed it. I've got a stage 1 air cleaner, thunderheader & that's it. Hopefully tomorrow this rain will be gone & I can get out & see if it really is mostly gone, cause I really couldn't get on it today with all the rain on the way home from the dealer.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 PM
tfalcon
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I planned on getting some of the XIED things anyway. I'm gonna ask the dealer when I bring it in if they can just do the stage one download and see if that helps any.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Junkster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfalcon
So I just installed some Rush slipons with the 2" baffle on my street bob and I'm getting alot of decel popping. Everything else is stock. I figured I'd get some with the bike being lean and all, and I've read on here that it's common, but didn't think it would be this much. Pretty much every time I let of the gas I get some type of pop or crakle, even sometimes durring a higher rpm up shift. Just want to make sure that it was normal. The bike only has 300 miles on it so I dunno if it'll get better or not. I don't beleive I have any leaks.
As far as I'm concerned any popping is too much. Open up the intake with a high flow A/C and get a tuner. I also had popping. Tried Xied's to no avail. Put a PCV + AT on my bike and all is well.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 PM
dudshep31
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a stage 1 a/c, thunderheader and harley's tuner and also get the crackle, or popping.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:25 PM
JeffKill
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any popping was too much for me, just found it annoying. My bike came with a stage 1 a/c and Bassani road rage 2 into 1, with just the stage 1 download. Still had quite a bit of decel popping. I tried the XIED's and they worked to an extent, but the bike still wasn't running right. Finally picked up a Power Vision and I've now tuned out all popping completely and the bike runs damn near perfect. Im sure someone could get a bit more out of it with a dyno tune, but I don't feel the need at the moment.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:34 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Decel popping...some like it, others don't.

Decel popping does Not damage your engine...it is simply unburnt fuel that is burning in the exhaust tract after exiting the engine.

Decel popping occurs when one of two things are present.

1. The bike is so lean the exhaust is superheated and is burning the unburnt fuel that is in the pipes (there is always some unburnt fuel in the pipes no matter how lean). This is very rare, and does not occur with the stock map and free flowing pipes being the only change.

2. The AFR IN THE pipes is just right to burn the unburnt fuel. This is quite a common occurrence when free flowing pipes are installed (whether or not a free flow A/C is installed). It can also occur if there is an exhaust leak that is introducing extra air into the exhaust tract.

To get rid of decel popping a lot of people put MORE fuel than is needed into the engine/over-richening the AFR so that more unburnt fuel goes into exhaust, changing the AFR in the exhaust so that is no longer optimum for combustion in the pipes. This is just a waste of gas. And if using decel enleanment found on most tuners it is still really hard to get rid of the popping/burbling when the injectors kick back in at about 1750 rpm.

Another way to get rid of decel popping is to change the AFR in the pipes (mufflers/Slip-ons). This can be done with different baffles, a lolipop or Thunder Torque Inserts. The benefit to the TTI's is that it will let you keep your sound, increase the low and mid range power, and reduce/eliminate the decel pop by reducing/eliminating reversion, thus changing the AFR (in the pipes) to one that is not conducive to combustion.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Mike650
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i often get a loud pop when shifting from 1st to 2nd. sounds like a gun shot. and i LOVE IT!!!

i enjoy my decel pop. i dont worry about it because after looking at my plugs and seeing that they have the perfect color to them, tells me its running just fine!!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:12 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Decel popping...some like it, others don't.

Decel popping does Not damage your engine...it is simply unburnt fuel that is burning in the exhaust tract after exiting the engine.

Decel popping occurs when one of two things are present.

1. The bike is so lean the exhaust is superheated and is burning the unburnt fuel that is in the pipes (there is always some unburnt fuel in the pipes no matter how lean). This is very rare, and does not occur with the stock map and free flowing pipes being the only change.

2. The AFR IN THE pipes is just right to burn the unburnt fuel. This is quite a common occurrence when free flowing pipes are installed (whether or not a free flow A/C is installed). It can also occur if there is an exhaust leak that is introducing extra air into the exhaust tract.

To get rid of decel popping a lot of people put MORE fuel than is needed into the engine/over-richening the AFR so that more unburnt fuel goes into exhaust, changing the AFR in the exhaust so that is no longer optimum for combustion in the pipes. This is just a waste of gas. And if using decel enleanment found on most tuners it is still really hard to get rid of the popping/burbling when the injectors kick back in at about 1750 rpm.

Another way to get rid of decel popping is to change the AFR in the pipes (mufflers/Slip-ons). This can be done with different baffles, a lolipop or Thunder Torque Inserts. The benefit to the TTI's is that it will let you keep your sound, increase the low and mid range power, and reduce/eliminate the decel pop by reducing/eliminating reversion, thus changing the AFR (in the pipes) to one that is not conducive to combustion.
Thank you!
They should make this a sticky.
I think some people get off track with their AFR trying to dial the popping out.

Quick Reply: decel popping - how much is too much?