Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a 7" headlight fit my FXDL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Govno
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Will a 7" headlight fit my FXDL?

I want to replace the std 5 3/4" headlight with a 7" headlight on my 2003 FXDL.

I know I will have to enlarge the cutout on my windshield but besides that will I have any other problems?

The headlight I am looking at has a H4 55/60 Watt Xenon blub. Should I go with this type or look for something else?

I am wanting to increase visibility and also get rid of that yellowish light from the std headlight I have now.

Thanks all

Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 AM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

it will work. friend of mine did the same thing. he had to trim the windshield. plug and play. he got a fat boy head light bucket i think from ebay. looked pretty nice and he said major improvement at night

Old 01-27-2013, 12:09 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

if you grab a bottom moutn bucket, look at a mountign block that moves your bucket forward and/or down it will negate the need to trim your shield. im puttign a 7" bucket on mine had to druill the lower tree for the mounting block but other then that its plug and play

Old 01-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

If you go with 7", you can get an inexpensive LED headlight that isn't available for the 5 3/4". I believe it's made by Trucklite.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Govno
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
if you grab a bottom moutn bucket, look at a mountign block that moves your bucket forward and/or down it will negate the need to trim your shield. im puttign a 7" bucket on mine had to druill the lower tree for the mounting block but other then that its plug and play
OK. I'm not the best when it comes to mechanics but I'll try anything myself if it's not too difficult or ask my buddy for help.
When you say I'll need a mounting block, where do I find that?

Are you meaning something like this?
Amazon Amazon

Or something like this?
Amazon Amazon

By the way, this is the headlight I ended up ordering...
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/310-272

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-27-2013, 03:55 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

the first one you posted (http://www.amazon.com/BKRider-Mounti...=5336075432-20) is the one you will need for the bottom mount light, you can also get the blocks that move the light forward or down etc

if your lower tree isnt already drilled for a bottom mount you will need to drill it to accept the mounting block but thats fairly simple to do

Last edited by NSCoyote; 01-27-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

anybody post a pic of the final look

Old 01-27-2013, 07:23 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

+1 on the pic. I think JRK - joe Knap has the 7". How much more light does the 7" put out over the 5 3/4", using the stock bulb? I already have the LED, but if it looks good and puts out more light using the same set up, would run it.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Govno
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
the first one you posted (http://www.amazon.com/BKRider-Mounti...=5336075432-20) is the one you will need for the bottom mount light, you can also get the blocks that move the light forward or down etc

if your lower tree isnt already drilled for a bottom mount you will need to drill it to accept the mounting block but thats fairly simple to do
Ok great, thanks!

I just noticed that that mounting block says for 5 3/4" bottom mount headlights. Will that matter? I searched for the same thing for a 7" and I can't find one.

If I need to drill the hole, I'll be back on here for help!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:05 AM
XjldX
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done the 7" swap. You can see some of my older pics to see how it turned out. I just used the stock mounting block, but I didn't have windshield to worry about. I posted a walk through with pics too, if you check my profile for posts started by me, you can't miss it.

Good luck, you'll find it to be a really easy project.

Quick Reply: Will a 7" headlight fit my FXDL?