Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure WHERE to post this question....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 02:36 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Not sure WHERE to post this question....

The light at the end of my tunnel is becoming brighter and is looking less like an oncoming train, and more like RETIREMENT. I've been having some serious "Bronson" moments, and in the more "ambitious" of them, I imagine myself retrieving my Wide Glide from some foreign shipping port-of-entry, and riding off (with fellow adventurer(s)?) for some serious cultural immersion & adventure. My inclination is China, SE Asia.
Does anyone have any constructive* advice on shipping, logistics, restrictions, dealing with authorities, safety, security, etc. I think some questions to the consulate might be a good place to start. Any other ideas, recommendations, or personal experience would be appreciated.

* - Limit "non-constructive" comments to single words (idiot, whacko, etc.)

Old 02-01-2013, 03:26 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think it would be best to Rent a bike in the respective countries, It would probably work out cheaper and be less troublesome than shipping logistics, restrictions, dealing with authorities, safety, security, insurance etc.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:06 AM
fat bastard 68
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I live in Thailand.(Mods I'm not sure if it's allowed to put other forums up so I apologize in advance.)
I'm not an expert but you can get a lot of information on Thaivisa.com in the motoring section subsection motorcycling in Thailand.
An even better forum is the golden triangle riders forum(gt-riders.com) this is geared towards adventure tours but all the info regarding travelling with a bike between countries will be covered extensively. (Look up Carnet de passage).
Certain parts of China are off limits and/or you have to have a guide with you at all times.
Crossing borders on a big bike to Laos or Cambodia from Thailand is difficult only certain bridges you can cross even then you must be in an organised group/tour.Same with Vietnam although big bikes are becoming more popular there.
It's much easier if you are a small 125/150cc bike. And people do it!!
Malaysia isn't a problem as long as all your paperwork is in order.People ride down from Thailand to the Moto GP every year.
Myanmar and the Philippines I know very little about but I do know that there are some big clubs in the Philippines with lots of expats.
I have never felt the need to leave Thailand as there plenty of great roads right here and lots of things to do!
Best of luck, if you or anyone has any questions I'd be glad to help.

Gerry.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:24 AM
Six16
Road Captain

What if you left home on your bike and traveled through Mexico, Central America and deep into South America? That would be a hell of an adventure and less of a hassle than shipping your bike IMO.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:48 AM
Jacoblb
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Six16
What if you left home on your bike and traveled through Mexico, Central America and deep into South America? That would be a hell of an adventure and less of a hassle than shipping your bike IMO.
I would never do that and I used to live down there. Not only do you risk encounters with outlaws, I think you're more likely to have a run in with the "law" and have either your bike confiscated or face hefty fines for made up infractions. Our family drove a pickup from Bolivia to Brazil when we moved. It cost almost 6k in taxes and "fees"

Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 AM
rhoderider
Cruiser

First place I would start is the local book store. There are several good books that have been written by people who have done exactly what you are contemplating. You can read about all the issues they faced and how they dealt with them. One thing for sure - to make such a trip you must be bold and resourceful.