Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna size questions lately...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dyna size questions lately...

Here lately I've noticed an increase in interest regarding big guys and the size if dyna models. So here's my take.

It's important to answer the question with a question. First off what do you want from the machine. Ergonomics are easy fixes but function is function. If your looking to be comfortable on long road trips then a dyna May not be it. But in terms of size ill say this. I've owned sportsters that will straighten mountain roads curves. Just not comfy. I've had Softails, old school looking fun bikes but honestly in terms if making it fit my build I felt Was limited by the suspension.

I own a aggressive bagger with highway pegs and while I can stretch out , the seat position and location of the shifter, brakes , etc suck. Comfy yet awkward. But with a few simple mods i was able to make the Street Bob the most comfortable bike I have ever owned.

First off switching to forwards makes the leg position near perfect.

Second a nice set of progressive shocks to support extra weight will also give the dyna tremendous handle ability with the riders extra lbs and passengers.

Third a different seat that puts the rider lower in the saddle makes he dyna feel bigger.

Lastly a very cheap easy fix....raising the gas tank gives the illusion and the feel of a bigger bike.

The Dynas are an in between form of compromise. But they don't have to be. You only need to feel like an ape on a banana if you choose to. The simple mods I've listed allow both form and function. It makes the bike look spacious and bigger. The riders look comfortable. And the bikes look like they fit.

Dynas are not exclusive to middleweight riders. Mine pleases me. It feels great, looks great, and runs like a raped ape. Many big men ride Dynas and look fine, The style is not just for middle men. Don let the name and numbers disway you from purchasing this model simply cuz your a big boy. With a minimal investment and some good choices you can make it fit just fine and look even better. The way I see it mods are inevitable so why not.

The dyna line is the best there is for what it is. Let not your heart be troubled.

Attached Thumbnails Dyna size questions lately...-image.jpg  

Last edited by Joboo1966; 02-03-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Eagle Custom
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree I'm 5'11" 230lbs. and after a few mods I could not be happier with my Dyna

Old 02-03-2013, 08:44 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagle Custom
I agree I'm 5'11" 230lbs. and after a few mods I could not be happier with my Dyna
Dude, our OL's must have taken the same home ec. class.
I too am 5' 11" and 230lbs. and my Superglide fits me just fine,( with a few mods that I wanted anyway).

Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kennygsuperglide
Dude, our OL's must have taken the same home ec. class.
I too am 5' 11" and 230lbs. and my Superglide fits me just fine,( with a few mods that I wanted anyway).
My point exactly. These Dynas can accomodate as good if not better any rider regardless of size!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master

Originally Posted by Joboo1966
My point exactly. These Dynas can accomodate as good if not better any rider regardless of size!
Look at my sig pic.. I don't think I look like a monkey on a football, or to big for my sled. IMO it fits me perfect.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Rockabilly88
Intermediate

hey Kenny what bars do you have are they 16" or 14" i have been looking to put apes on mine and you and i are the same size. I something more comfortable then stock but nothing to put the bars above my head.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM
chainbreaker
Cruiser

Agreed,
5'11" here and 255 lbs. I also ride two up all the time, and don't give a Rats a$$ how I look on my SuperGlide, cause it's an awesome bike! People gotta just worry about what makes them happy, and not what others think. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rockabilly88
hey Kenny what bars do you have are they 16" or 14" i have been looking to put apes on mine and you and i are the same size. I something more comfortable then stock but nothing to put the bars above my head.
They are 18" El' Diablo's from Demon Cycle. As you can see in my sig. They are a little over my shoulders. I like them, they are very comfortable.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:19 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah. I don't get it either. One of my first posts (in the general forum) was "I'm buying a street bob; what do I need to know?"

The very first response was something like "Unless you're 5'6" and 150lbs; you're making a mistake."

Then I got a bunch of **** about not buying a touring bike!

After a month and 1500 miles, I have to disagree with both. Between the apes and forward controls, I have all kinds of room (6'1", 200 lbs.)

Although I might have a touring bike one day, it's just not my style. In fact, I'd argue that a 900lb bike is just too much for anything other than eating interstate.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:23 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master

By the way SLV, nice sled. I like the black and red. Looks great. Dig the apes too, man.

Quick Reply: Dyna size questions lately...