Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake Sticks

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 12:12 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rear Brake Sticks

Hello all, noticed today when I was getting ready to ride home from work that my rear brake is sticking. I step on the food pedal and it stay down, I have to pull it up by hand.

Looked in the service manual and only see a sections that deals with adjusting rear brake height.

Can any one steer me in the right direction on what I should do?

Thanks!

Note: I did take a safety course the other week in which we were using are brakes quite a bit, dont know if that could have something to do with it or not.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

The first thing I would look at is to see if the rear caliper pistons are moving freely. If it isn't take the caliper out and clean the piston and bore. If it is moving freely, check to make sure the pivot point for the brake pedal has enough lube. If that seems fine, make sure the linkage from the brake pedal to m/c isn't hanging up on something.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine used to do the same thing and I tried fixing it by spraying lube on the pivot points etc. It helped a little but nothing solved the problem until I noticed in the forward control install instructions that you are supposed to have anti seize on the brake pedal pivot shaft.
Look at page 2 step 10 under rear brake assembly http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J03509.pdf

What is weird is that the black forward control instructions just say to apply a lubricant while the chrome specifies anti seize.
I'm just glad it worked and I haven't had a sticking problem since.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Since you ask on here I can only assume you really do not know about the mechanical and hydraulic parts of your brake. Could be either. It would be best with this type of problem that you trailer your bike to a qualified mechanic. Many may be able to walk you thru something simple but depending on what it is the brakes may fell leaving you without the rear or actually could lock up at speed causing a serious accident.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 PM
red69camaro
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen with a POS thunderheader. It turned out that the brake rod was touching the mount when you pushed the pedal down.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:52 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

I took a couple of pics, not sure if this will help in identifying anything that may be the cause....

And yep, I am a noob at brakes on Harleys

Attached Thumbnails Rear Brake Sticks-dsc_0029.jpg   Rear Brake Sticks-dsc_0030.jpg  
Old 02-08-2013, 02:03 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

The wifey just got home so I had a extra pair of hands to help.... When pushing on rear brake I can see that the caliper pushes the pad a little, and when pulling the pedal back up, the caliper only backs out a little, but doesnt look like it pulls back enough.

I guess I will start with cleaning the caliper and bore....

Thanks for the suggesting guys and feel free to keep them coming

Old 02-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Keltoi
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WideGlideFever

I guess I will start with cleaning the caliper and bore....

Thanks for the suggesting guys and feel free to keep them coming

Seriously unless you know what your doing ( and you wouldnt be asking if you did) DONT touch the caliper, take it to someone who does.

that said, i would first check the brake pedal pivot point. easy to do by undoing the brake rod at pedal, check if pedal moves freely, if all ok there, reconnect and follow the rod back to the master cylinder ensuring the rod is moving freely and not sticking or catching on anything,check hydrolics for loss off fluid etc. if by then you havent spotted the problem take it to nearest indy or stealer.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:29 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by Keltoi
Seriously unless you know what your doing ( and you wouldnt be asking if you did) DONT touch the caliper, take it to someone who does.

that said, i would first check the brake pedal pivot point. easy to do by undoing the brake rod at pedal, check if pedal moves freely, if all ok there, reconnect and follow the rod back to the master cylinder ensuring the rod is moving freely and not sticking or catching on anything,check hydrolics for loss off fluid etc. if by then you havent spotted the problem take it to nearest indy or stealer.
Thanks for the advice bro, I do have a Indy guy here to help me out. I didnt mean to imply that I was going to attempt this myself, I meant that with the help of my Indy bro, thats whats probably going to happen

Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Keltoi
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no worries, alth i would still work from pedal backwards as it is more likely the problem would be there than the caliper.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Sticks