Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Hanger Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 AM
CB024
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ape Hanger Dilemma

Ok guys I know this subject has been beat to death and I'm sorry for rehashing it yet again but I have a questions from you experienced ape hanger owners.

Here goes, I have a 2012 Wide Glide with stock bars. At 6'3 the stock bars start to get uncomfortable after about and hour and a half on the highway. I have the opportunity to buy some 14" ape hangers but I'm worried that they wont be tall enough.

I know that everyone is built different so I took some measurements. Measuring from the seated position, with my arms almost straight out, from the top of my trees to the bar I'm holding as my mock up bar is 21". This puts the the mock up bar I'm holding just slightly higher than my shoulders.

Now playing around with different measurements it looks like a 14" Ape hanger with a 3" riser would put my my hands about mid chest. If I were to do that am I going to regret it? I'm almost thinking I need an 18" bar with 1 1/2" risers.

Again I'm sorry for bringing up another ape hanger thread. I did search but most of what I found were people below 6' tall. Ape hangers are an expensive mod that I don't want to have to do twice. If it helps I have never owned a bike with ape hangers and have never ridden a bike with ape hangers.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I hate to say it but no one can answer this...I tried several set of bars on friends' bikes before I was comfortable on my Road king and picked a height. Anything level with my shoulders made my fingers fall asleep on longer rides. It's a common issue...Bar angles and adjustment, riser angles and seat position will also muddy this further...I am looking for a set of apes for my WG right now as well. For the meantime, I added a set of 2" spacers. They made a WORLD of difference for me...

Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 AM
CB024
Road Master

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
I hate to say it but no one can answer this...I tried several set of bars on friends' bikes before I was comfortable on my Road king and picked a height. Anything level with my shoulders made my fingers fall asleep on longer rides. It's a common issue...Bar angles and adjustment, riser angles and seat position will also muddy this further...I am looking for a set of apes for my WG right now as well. For the meantime, I added a set of 2" spacers. They made a WORLD of difference for me...
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I was hoping someone in the 6'+ range would chime in but even then you are probably right. What one person will find comfortable the next might hate.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:14 AM
escherWG
Cruiser

im 6'3" also

i have an 06 WG, I went w/ 16" on 3" risers. I think 16 w/ 1-3" risers would work for ya. Or even those 14s w/ 3" risers.

Interested to see what ya decide, keep us posted

Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 AM
CB024
Road Master

Originally Posted by escherWG
im 6'3" also

i have an 06 WG, I went w/ 16" on 3" risers. I think 16 w/ 1-3" risers would work for ya. Or even those 14s w/ 3" risers.

Interested to see what ya decide, keep us posted
Where is your hand position on your 16" on 3" risers and how do you like it for extended rides?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Forgot to mention, if you don't like the 14s, you can always go with a 2" riser extension to get them up even further...

Old 02-14-2013, 10:34 AM
CB024
Road Master

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
Forgot to mention, if you don't like the 14s, you can always go with a 2" riser extension to get them up even further...
Yeah I'm trying to avoid tall risers. I don't like tall risers with ape hangers. 3" is about the max I would want to go.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Eagle Custom
Tourer

As stated above alot of things to consider like seat, rider not all people 6'-2" are built the same some have long legs and short torso or vise versa and not to mention each manufacturer can measure a little different my Carlini bars are sold as 14" and from bottom of bar to hand position is actually about 17".

Old 02-14-2013, 02:22 PM
CB024
Road Master

Originally Posted by Eagle Custom
As stated above alot of things to consider like seat, rider not all people 6'-2" are built the same some have long legs and short torso or vise versa and not to mention each manufacturer can measure a little different my Carlini bars are sold as 14" and from bottom of bar to hand position is actually about 17".
Yeah I'm going to have to just bite the bullet & pick a size. I passed on the 14's. Going to probably go with 18's on 1 1/2" risers.

Last edited by CB024; 02-14-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:04 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm 6'1" and have 16's on top of 1.5" tall risers. My hands are just a hair below my shoulders. I find it very comfy.

You then have to find the right bars. I don't recall the details of mine, but they are from Hill Country Custom Cycles. Was $299 for the kit (bars, clutch/brake/throttle cables). The rise and pullback are very comfortable for me.

I think taking your seat into account is a factor as well because it can raise you up/down, move you back/forward.

I went from the stock seat, to a (god awful) Sundowner and then finally the Mustang Vintage solo 13" wide seat with add on pillion. It definitely drops you down.

Just something to add to your confusion.

Maybe you can go to a local shop/dealer and they can test fit some bars with you. Just bolt them into the risers snugly and let you sit on the bike for feel. Worth a shot.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 02-15-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Ape Hanger Dilemma