Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDWG Stock Sidemount Plates-any problems with LEO's??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:16 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Default FXDWG Stock Sidemount Plates-any problems with LEO's??

Hello all, I just bought a cherry 2011 FXDWG (under 500 miles) to replace my beautiful FXDF that Sandy drowned. I love the look of the stock sidemount plate on the FXDWG, but here in the People's Republic of New Jersey, if something is not specifically permitted, it's generally regarded as prohibited by Law Enforcement. I'm not so concerned with our State Police, one of the most professional Law Enforcement Organizations in the country, but some of our municipal LEO's would give their own mothers a ticket if it interfered with their donut runs, and the municipal judges are more interested in "revenue enhancement" than safety or (gasp!!) Justice.

So my question is what has been the experience of the Forum members with the stock (horizontal) sidemount plate on the FXDWG with respect to Law Enforcement? And please don't tell me to "check the Law" in NJ-not only is that almost impossible, but the "Law" is whatever the local police and the municipal judge say it is, unless one is willing to spend thousands on an appeal.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:25 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya I couldn't stand the horizontal plates either. So I cut a piece of tin to the same shape as the plate. Then use it as a backing to mount the plate centered on the holder in the vertical position. I actually had a chance to ask one of the local PoPo's about this. I was told that the requirements here only say that the tag must be mounted and readable. And that there weren't to many other requirements. Good luck with your tags.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:54 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Most states have ruled that vertical as not legal because the officers are unable to read them while traveling.
Most states will not stop you for it but you could and possibility of getting 2 tickets when stopped.
That is what Alabama does. They will not stop you for it but if they have to for any violation you get one for that to.
We have one on our WG and never been stopped for it but but we have not been pulled over while on it either.

dd

Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the stock side mount HD license plates on both my Wide Glide and 72 Sporty and have never been stopped. YMMV.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:08 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Horizontal tag is ok
Vertical no
License plate frame (you know like the novelty ones) or anything else that obscures any part of the plate lettering even the sayings is illegal
No tag light is illegal
A brake light that does not shine up to 50 feet in distance is illegal

Old 02-17-2013, 08:58 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
Horizontal tag is ok
Vertical no
License plate frame (you know like the novelty ones) or anything else that obscures any part of the plate lettering even the sayings is illegal
No tag light is illegal
Thanks for the replies so far. Interesting comment the license plate frame. ANYTHING that obscures any part of a license plate is illegal in NJ, yet almost every car dealer includes a frame with their name/address on it at the sale. I've never heard of anybody getting a ticket for that, even as a "secondary" but I suppose that it's a violation so common that LEOs don't even notice it. Interestingly, we just drove to Florida and it seemed as if half the cars on I-95 had license plate frames so large that one couldn't even read which state they're from.

My original concern is the sidemount horizontal plate IS unusual, and some of our municipalities are so hungry for revenue that the cops will ticket anything for which they can get a few bucks-even in the unlikely event you win in court, you'll STILL get nailed for court costs, your reward for trying to protect your rights.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:47 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You should not have a problem with the horizontal plate. You can get a mount that has a brake light/tag light built in. The light is old school-old for type.
You can get them vertical like ours or horizontal.

This will cover all your bases.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Horizontal tag is ok
Vertical no
No tag light is illegal
Vertical plates are NOT illegal in Florida...

Old 02-17-2013, 06:17 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
Vertical plates are NOT illegal in Florida...
Not right now they aren't illegal. But they were

Old 02-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Not right now they aren't illegal. But they were
Yep...