Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultima engine replacement for Twin Cam engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:38 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ultima engine replacement for Twin Cam engines

I guess this is big news for people whose bikes have a ton miles or just don't trust the twin-cam design...I think I qualify on both accounts.

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/tvo_engine.html

Any thoughts on this? Personally I think it's great that they offer a single cam option that fits right in ( if I read right that is)

Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Lennyone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the idea of single cam and duel oilpumps, but I do not know that much about Ultima engines

Old 02-21-2013, 05:47 PM
adam_hffh
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i made a thread asking people to tell me there view on ultima and s&s and i got a lot more posotive feedback about s&s. the main jist of it was that ultima is less $$$ than s&s but s&s is a higher quality product and puts out better numbers... actually everybody that i know with an s&s is runnin harder with better numbers than the people i know with ultimas. ultima is still decent its just not top notch

Old 02-21-2013, 06:16 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

One of my riding friends had to replace his engine and used a ultima engine. It had to be replaced 3 times before he got one that did not have problems.
This is all I have had experience with them.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
One of my riding friends had to replace his engine and used a ultima engine. It had to be replaced 3 times before he got one that did not have problems.
This is all I have had experience with them.
Wow that sucks. If I ever need a replacement engine, it would have to work right out of the box since I live overseas and can't ship it back if it fails...

Old 02-22-2013, 10:40 AM
adam_hffh
Advanced

FXD_noob i think s&s is for you since you live over seas. if you want to go really fast check out starracing.com they build s&s motors but they put out unbelievable numbers

Old 02-22-2013, 03:09 PM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

I think I would just replace mine with another Harley crate motor if a rebuild was out of the question. I'm not sure I understand what keeps it a Harley if you get rid of the powerplant. You know like a Ford Ranger powered by a Chevy engine. It would be a Harley frame powered by insert brand here......Just makes it a chopper.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

120R .......Harley Crate engine Me personally, I would just build what you have. The twin cam is a great engine.

Last edited by parts eeter; 02-22-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:23 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Originally Posted by wastedranger
I'm not sure I understand what keeps it a Harley if you get rid of the powerplant.
Not really interested in "keeping it a Harley" I just want to ride as much as possible on a single bike without trading it in or selling it.

Originally Posted by parts eeter
120R .......Harley Crate engine Me personally, I would just build what you have. The twin cam is a great engine.
It certainly is. I don't know if it's more dependable than the single-cam design though. No engine's perfect, and the twin cam certainly has lasted for a very long time in the Harley roster, (99-present) but I think the fact that you have two cams and two little tensioners working on two separate chains adds an unnecessary level of mechanical complexity to the mix, not to mention that those little plastic shoes are all that keep the chains from shooting through the motor at any given time. They are a time bomb aren't they? And since my bike has 60K miles (It's an 05 Super Glide, carbed), I'm more wary than ever.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Tumper
Intermediate

Convert to the gear driven cams, no chains required...

Quick Reply: Ultima engine replacement for Twin Cam engines