Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering shocks vs lowering links?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 09:41 AM
bikridr69
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default lowering shocks vs lowering links?

thinking of low riding my bob. at least the rear? but since i ride my bike on long road trips, thought id ask for expiriences on this. which works best for comfort compared to looks.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

The links should ride better than the shocks but the shocks won't bottom out on the fender. The stops in them will prevent it...Not all lowering kits will bottom out on the fender either...Depends on lots of other factors such as kit height, weight of rider, passengers or no, exhaust and whether it will drag in right hand turns...Do a search. There are a ton of threads on this. I have a lowering kit that I bought. I just decided to leave my bike alone. Lowering always comes at some sort of price...

Old 02-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the lowering kit(1.75''), running 12'' shocks. Overall ride quality feels about the same, I like it. It fills in the fender so well and I love the way it looks. However... I drag in the corners ALL the time now. You have to slow down, and ride it out easy, which sucks. Meaning, the lowering kit is a short lived thrill. Eventually I plan on doing a different real wheel and fender to give it a more filled in "dropped" look, but still be able to run a standard 12'' for aggressive riding.
Because, thats what its all about. Riding.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:52 PM
xracer110
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

get the lowered shocks. If you use the lowering links it just moves your shocks back resulting in a increased angle affecting the compression of the shocks. The lowered shocks will maintain the correct angles with a little less travel.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:23 AM
bikridr69
Cruiser

thanks for the replies. anyone know what size shocks come stock on the streetbobs. i can look in the book just thought id ask? how hard is it to change the rear shocks? if anyone has done it themselves. wondering if i can change back and forth depending on the ocassion.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:31 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

stock st bob shocks are 12.5 or 12. I am not a fan of the links at all! i have seen so so many blown shocks due to the change of the angle that the links put the shocks at. Typically what we will do for customers is cut the shock down when we powder the stock shocks. lowers it, and changes the look! here are some pics of some of the shocks we have done for customers

Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 AM
bikridr69
Cruiser

damn those look nice.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:55 AM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ran Burly Slammers for a while and for solo riding they were ok. But 2 up pretty much sucked. Im thinking about getting some bagger shocks from Bitchen Baggers. They cut them down as much as you want. They're site shows different lengths and what they are suited for. Im considering the 11 or 11.5s That way I can have a decent lowered ride and then add a little extra air when I go two up. You should check them out. And for the cost of a couple hundred bucks, if you dont like them you arent out a bunch of coin.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:59 AM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bikridr69
thanks for the replies. anyone know what size shocks come stock on the streetbobs. i can look in the book just thought id ask? how hard is it to change the rear shocks? if anyone has done it themselves. wondering if i can change back and forth depending on the ocassion.
Swapping shocks is super easy. Just need a motorcyle lift, a couple wrenches, and 30 min. Or less.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:36 AM
xracer110
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

changing to lower shocks can be done easily without a lift or bike jack. But you will need a floor jack and some scrap wood.
1] loosen all shock bolts
2] place floorjack with a board spanning frame under bike, you need a buddy to help
3] raise jack,, DONT lift bike just put pressure on it.
4] remove shocks
5]install shocks top bolt only
6] very slowly lower jack untill bottom bolts line up
7]bolt on bottoms
8]remove jack, you may have to jack up bike and place 2x4 under tire first to remove jack.its lower now
9] check kick stand, it may stand up too tall now. new one is around 50bucks.
10]take pics, high fives, beer,
I would suggest getting the kick stand with the shocks, send it back if not needed.

Quick Reply: lowering shocks vs lowering links?