Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front turn signal relocation wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 PM
condition1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alansummrs
The hardest part of relocating my front turn signals was not locating the signal connectors under the tank, it was installing the tiny terminals on the three wires for each turn signal so they could fit into the connectors. By the book it should be done with a fancy Molex crimper tool - not sure where you get one or how much $$$, so I did it myself carefully with some needle nose pliers. It probably would be fine to just cut the connectors off and just twist the wires together and seal the connection.

To find the connectors under the tank, take seat off, pull the two fuel tank bolts, disconnect the fuel quick connect fitting, and carefully lift and move fuel tank backward a few inches(might place some old clean cloths underneath). There will be a wire harness shield held in place by two tabs - release the tabs and pull down the wiring and locate the two unused three pin connectors( one white for left signal, one black for right signal)

So if I'm understanding what you and Buzzfin are saying..... With the new joker machine signals I have all I should need to do to make it as clean an install as possible would be just get the terminal ends (I believe that's the name of the metal ends for the wires) and the other end of the connectors from Harley and I should be able to plug my new signals right in to those extra connectors? Then I can just remove the original signals from the handlebars and cut the wires coming from there? Is there room in the switch housing to cap the wires or what did you do with the original ones? Thanks guys this is making me feel a lot better about this. I'm pretty handy mechanically but hate doing electrical and wiring work.

Sorry OP for a bit of a thread hijack.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by condition1
So if I'm understanding what you and Buzzfin are saying..... With the new joker machine signals I have all I should need to do to make it as clean an install as possible would be just get the terminal ends (I believe that's the name of the metal ends for the wires) and the other end of the connectors from Harley and I should be able to plug my new signals right in to those extra connectors? Then I can just remove the original signals from the handlebars and cut the wires coming from there? Is there room in the switch housing to cap the wires or what did you do with the original ones? Thanks guys this is making me feel a lot better about this. I'm pretty handy mechanically but hate doing electrical and wiring work.

Sorry OP for a bit of a thread hijack.
I did the HD Relocate not the Joker Machine relocate, so I do not know what they include in their kit. You will not need to buy the connectors from HD because they are waiting for you under the tank. You will have to decide whether you want to use them and put terminal socket ends on your wires(HD part 73191-96) or cut the connectors off like Buzzfin and do a simple hardwire connection.

I highly recommend going to the HD parts area online for your bike and you should be able to download just the instructions for a front signal relocate. There is a lot of info that would help including how you should remove the original signals - you will be cutting them off but they tell you how to seal up the wiring to prevent any future problems. Good luck, I'll be the first to admit that relocating the front signals was way more complicated than I would have thought.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:16 PM
condition1
Advanced

Originally Posted by alansummrs
I did the HD Relocate not the Joker Machine relocate, so I do not know what they include in their kit. You will not need to buy the connectors from HD because they are waiting for you under the tank. You will have to decide whether you want to use them and put terminal socket ends on your wires(HD part 73191-96) or cut the connectors off like Buzzfin and do a simple hardwire connection.

I highly recommend going to the HD parts area online for your bike and you should be able to download just the instructions for a front signal relocate. There is a lot of info that would help including how you should remove the original signals - you will be cutting them off but they tell you how to seal up the wiring to prevent any future problems. Good luck, I'll be the first to admit that relocating the front signals was way more complicated than I would have thought.
I got ya. I was thinking that the pics of the connectors Buzzfin posted would only be the one side and I would still need to buy the other one that plugged into it. Even better the way they are. Nothing comes with the joker machine signals, just wires but if I'm understanding everything correctly all I should need is the terminals to crimp on the ends of the new signal wires and I should be good. That's good news, I like to keep things as clean as possible and cut/solder as little as I have to.

I was having a hard time even finding the harley relocation kit online let alone the instructions for it. The instructions do sound handy though so maybe I'll give it another shot.

Thanks again.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:02 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

There is a male and female part to those connectors but I believe they are both there snapped together)waiting for you under the fuel tank. I am away from my instructions now so I am going by memory.

I was able to download the instructions, before I bought the kit, on the HD website. I think there are some other sites that sell HD OEM parts that provide instructions, just cannot remember which ones.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Buzzfin
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did NOT have both male and female parts under the tank. I believe the other half of the connectors comes with the relocation kit. Not sure - I made my own.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:38 AM
AlphaDogg
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2012 FatBob turn signal relocate questions - single white wire?

Hey guys, i'm in the process of relocating the front turn signals from the bars, to right below bottom triple trees, via the Drag Specialties mount. I have a couple questions:

1) After cutting the turn signal wires at the controls and pulling the extra black and white turn signal 3-pin connectors from the frame, it looks like i'm going to be about 3 inches short of wire to make the connection. It looks like i'll need to splice in a few inches, add some pin connectors. I already bought the pin connectors and a couple 3-pin connectors to connect to the ones already supplied in the frame. Does anyone know what gauge wire is used for the turn signals? It looks like maybe 18ga stranded?

2) Connected to the right (throttle) side wire loom, is a single WHITE wire w/light GREY tracer. Both ends have a connector and look like they should be connected, but they are not. Does anyone know if this should be connected and maybe it came disconnected when I was pulling the wires out of the frame? Or is it for a factory alarm, if equipped?

Thanks for any help on either of my questions.

Also, if anyone who has relocated the front turn signals to the fork tubes / triple trees, have any pictures from the rear, showing how the made their wire connections and how / where they routed the wiring back into the frame, that would be a huge help.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:41 AM
AlphaDogg
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ignore my previous post, I meant to start a new topic for my question. My bad.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Airkill
Stage I

Hey... I see you did a front signal relocate. Could you run me through the process?
I also have a daytona blue 14 lo and would like to do this. Did you cut anything?

Old 01-03-2018, 03:59 AM
jackietan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only want to relocate the front signal light from the handlebar to the fork. Do you think I can put the three signal light wire without remove the whole wiring harness from the handlebar

Originally Posted by Gommee
The signals themselves have their own wires that run to the backbone through the harness and have their own connector. You should remove the connector and pull the entire cable that belongs to the signals. All of the signal wires should be contained in a single wire sheath. It is not recommended to cut and resolder, you have to get at the connector anyways. I just did mine the other day, it was not hard, just took a few beers to get it done.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:00 AM
jackietan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only want to relocate the front signal light from the handlebar to the fork. Do you think I can put the three signal light wire without remove the whole wiring harness from the handlebar

Originally Posted by Shrug
Start here. It's about replacing handlebars, but it focuses on relocating the signals. There are five very informative parts.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXv2de6d6Tg